Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How can i avoid chrome noise whilst using tele-photo lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tamasalucy
    18 Jun 2013 - 9:45 PM

I have taken quite a few photos using 100-300 tele-photo lens but when i process the image there always seems to be noise. my camera is a Canon D600 is the a problem with this or the lens or my settings.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jun 2013 - 9:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    18 Jun 2013 - 9:55 PM

i thought noise came from using to higher iso

franken
    franken e2 Member 123125 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jun 2013 - 10:03 PM

What iso are you using?

Ken

tamasalucy
    18 Jun 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have used several zoo settings and have recently been using auto ISO but with the noise is still there if you look on my portfolio you can see

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    18 Jun 2013 - 10:35 PM

If it is chromatic aberration from the lens, the Lightroom lens profile for that lens should remove most of it automatically. If not you can use the manual adjustments in LR (and, presumably ACR).

Jestertheclown
    18 Jun 2013 - 10:48 PM

It's not 'chromatic aberration' that's the problem; it's 'chroma noise.'
    However, looking at the most recent images in your pf., I can't actually see any!
    Unless, that is, you're referring to the shot of the swan with its head in the water, the fourth one in.
    That one, I'd say has been cropped from a much larger original which in turn had been taken from a little way off and zoomed in. As a result, some Jpeg. artifacts are present but still no noise.
    That's not to say that it's a bad shot; it's just that given the circumstances, assuming I'm right, it's a failing that all Jpegs. have.
    Why don't you upload an image that you consider noisy to here and we'll have a look?

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 18 Jun 2013 - 10:50 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73868 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 6:46 AM

First of all chromatic aberations and chroma noise are not the same thing.

I had a look at your pf unfortunately you have stripped the exif info. Are you shooting RAW if not start to. Then in the converter there will be 2 sliders. One for chroma and one for luminance noise. Generally have these set at zero, but if noise is present increase the chroma (in this instance) until you are happy. Watch out for loss of detail tho.

I'm guessing your at high ISO - but you can get noise at any ISO in the shadows if you underexpose, then try to recover in the processing.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mikehit
    mikehit  56450 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 8:19 AM

These were taken at ISO 2500 so noise is not a surprise
    http://www.ephotozine.com/user/tamasalucy-129343/gallery/photo/untitled-34055958
    http://www.ephotozine.com/user/tamasalucy-129343/gallery/photo/untitled-34055986

with an aperture of f13 you could have gone to f8 to give yourself a stop to play with and pulled reduced ISO to 1200 (shutter speed of 1/250 would have been about right for the subject).
    As Nick says, you will have to apply some level of noise reduction in post processing and should still get very useable images, especially if you shoot raw.

Last Modified By mikehit at 19 Jun 2013 - 8:19 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 8:45 AM

I suggest you post a photo with this problem in the Critique Gallery with complete data and explanation of problem. It's difficult to advise or comment without seeing an image.

MichaelMelb_AU
    19 Jun 2013 - 9:14 AM

Yes, you have prominent chroma noise in some of your images - as you are supposed to have with very high ISO and underexposure caused by very tight aperture ( up to 32!). Some images look like you tried to process them and had it overdone a bit Wink
    Good news is - your camera is most likely OK. At your current level I would recommend you aperture priority mode ( check with your camera manual how to set it), ISO set to 400, and aperture to 8. Camera will find an appropriate shutter speed automatically. This will allow you to make some decent shots under wide variety of circumstances. For further development you need to buy a good book on photography and go through it with the camera in your hands, you will get there with time. As for your images - while them being technically imperfect, I liked a few of them for subject choice and your approach to it.
    Cheers!

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 19 Jun 2013 - 9:16 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    stone12
    stone12  1 Ireland
    19 Jun 2013 - 12:37 PM

If you were having prints from them, wonder what size would be fine for detail and not show noise or chroma? I think I read somewhere,that unless you were printing to a size of three foot across,dont worry about the small imperfections.

MichaelMelb_AU
    19 Jun 2013 - 1:58 PM

Unfortunately, chroma noise is a nasty beast. Unlike luminance noise that is pretty much random or creates some very fine pseudo-structure, chroma noise may come in huge unsightly blotches clearly seen even in small images. I could see it even in real small images from OP related gallery. Look at the the large dark plain areas of the images.

tamasalucy
    19 Jun 2013 - 3:39 PM

Thank you for all the helpful comments I will try to take on board all the advise and hopefully it will show in some of the next photo.

stone12
    stone12  1 Ireland
    19 Jun 2013 - 5:03 PM

I could be totally wrong, and I expect I will be told so if that is the case. But would turning the white balance down a couple of notches help this chromatic aberration?

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73868 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 7:30 PM

Quote: I could be totally wrong, and I expect I will be told so if that is the case. But would turning the white balance down a couple of notches help this chromatic aberration?

Its not chromatic aberation ! And no turning it down could theretocaLly increase it as there would be more blue channel which has more noise typically.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.