Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How can I earn money?

19 Jun 2009 11:33AM
can anybody tell me ? how can i earn money by selling my photo online or offline?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
19 Jun 2009 11:35AM
Maybe walk first before you run....
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 11:36AM
You need to start by making sure the photos you take are of saleable quality. I don't see that in the images currently in your portfolio. Post some into the critique gallery and get guidance on improving.

Ian
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
19 Jun 2009 11:55AM
You mentioned in your other, very recent posts, that you're looking for a camera and a lens, so I'm assuming you don't have these yet.
I'd concentate on getting the equipment first and learning how to use it inside and out.
19 Jun 2009 12:28PM
can anybody define what is the saleable quality? yes justin u r right but i just want to know that if i invest money to buy camera and lenses then what is the probability of the return?
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 12:38PM
Looking at your current photos I would say the probability of return is zero.

If you are an amateur then buy equipment for pleasure, not with the hope of making money off your hobby. If you want to become professional then you need to study, practice and be honest with yourself at how good your photos are.

Take a look at the Premier Awards gallery on here and some of the pro portfolios, to get an idea of what quality photos look like.
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
19 Jun 2009 12:41PM
The probability of return will primarily be based on your marketing ability and your skill and imagination as a photographer.
The make and model of camera and lenses is of lesser importance, although you need to bear in mind that should you wish to sell your work through online agencies, then they will have minimum requirements as to what equipment is acceptable. Many consumer cameras won't fit this requirement, so that's something to consider, if your buying camera equipment from scratch.
Saleable quality will vary depending on who you're selling it too, or whose selling it on your behalf.
If you have an idea of what area of photography you would like to pursue then just do some online research to see what standard of work other photographers are producing. You will need to be able to produce regular and consistent work of the same standard and preferably higher.
You mention wildlife photography in you previous post. Be aware that this is a hugely popular and competitive area of photography, so you'll have no shortage of competition.
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 12:53PM
The answer is fairly simple

1. take brilliant yet unique images that people want
2. market them vigourously
3. be very lucky

get these things right and you'll make a fortune.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Jun 2009 1:12PM
Agree with all the above, The road to becoming a " Pro Photographer " is not as simple as buying a camera and taking a few snap shots.....Sad

Quote:get these things right and you'll make a fortune

LOL....Smile Is it that simple John....Wink

Well I bought a hammer & woodchisel set last week, I'm still no carpenter though.....Sad Bought some artists paint brushes too, But I'm still no Rembrant.....!

Been cracking jokes for way to long, But I'm no comedian either...Wink
Miles Herbert 12 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 1:15PM
Or go the other way from "fine art" photography and go for a different market. For example I see that you live in India and that your portfolio shows some tourist places. A cheaper camera coupled with an instant dye sub photo printer like a Canon ES2 (with a couple of battery packs) could make you some serious money photographing tourists ... especially when the Canon 6 x 4 images printed by the ES printer have a post card template on the back ...

... So simply market the fact that you are selling personalised postcards that they can send back to their relatives at home.

This is assuming that you can get portable instant printers and the supplies that you need to run them. Have done similar things here selling instant prints and made some quite decent money from it.

Hope that helps...

Miles
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 1:17PM
Read rule 1 carefully - take brilliant yet unique images that people want.

None of the rules said buy great kit.

Rules 2 and 3 are universal.

If you want to make money as apainter - paint brilliant yet unique pictures that people want

If you want to make money as a carpenter - build brilliant yet unique furniture that people want.

As I said - simlpe Wink
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 2:26PM
.....and don't believe every comment made about your photos :

....Mike
19 Jun 2009 4:40PM
Thank u all for giving me valuable time and experience. As my hobby is to tour different places mainly forests, but i have not uploaded any photo yet, i donot want to make money selling photos but i mean to say i want to learn to get a standard in photography.I have already learnt some basics of photography online though not enough but i really want develop it and get a professional standard. Can it be possible through free online courses or by downloading some free ebooks? can anybody help me?
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
19 Jun 2009 4:46PM

Quote:Been cracking jokes for way to long, But I'm no comedian either...

Ain't that the truth Wink
23 Jun 2009 3:08PM
advert removed by epz - please contact the site if you wish to advertise

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.