Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How can I get the images off a disc that wont read?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dvaid
    Dvaid  5166 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Apr 2013 - 2:35 PM

How can I get the images off a disc that wont read?
    I have tried it on the laptop computer that it was written on and my desktop pc, used canon zoom browser, adobe bridge, and neither will load the images. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks
    David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Apr 2013 - 2:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scartlane
    scartlane  366 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Apr 2013 - 3:50 PM

it depends on what you mean by dont read,,
    does the computer recognise there is a disk presnet?
    if so can you verify that there are files on it?
    is this disk scratched? if so try polishing it, with microfibre cloth and pledge. works a treat usually.
    there are ways of getting data of a badly scratched disk, or a disk that is not working correctly, but they are very very slow, long winded, and you may not get the whole picture back, as some data might be corrupt you may end up with image tearing or random colours etc.

puertouk
    puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2013 - 5:08 PM

Did you put the images on the disc from your PC? The images could be in a RAR file or some other similar software that you may not have on your PC. It would help if we knew how you got the disc. If you can let us know, we might be able to help.
    Stephen

lawbert
    lawbert  71640 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2013 - 7:24 PM

load the disc and if you get any autoplay options cancel them, Go to start, my computer then on this screen it will show your dvd/cd drive, right mouse click, choose open and this will show you what files are on the disc, you can then drag them to a new folder which will store them on the hard drive of your comp...
    If this doesnt show what images are on the disc then your disc is corrupt or alternatively you didnt write any files to the disc

HTH
    Paul

Jestertheclown
    17 Apr 2013 - 8:15 PM

As Paul says, you can drag and drop the images from the disc, or right click and 'send to' somewhere.

Neither option is any use however, if your disc's existence is not being recognised by the computer.

To help with your question, we need to know whether or not the disc is being recognised as a 'drive,' or perhaps, in one of the drives.

Bren.

Dvaid
    18 Apr 2013 - 9:35 AM

Thanks Guys.

When I put the disc into the drive it whirls around and the computer recognises that there is a disc in the drive.
    Double clicking on that drive yields nothing at all, even though the (unscratched) disc is half full of images which are, from memory, RAW files and probable some Tiffs and jpgs.

When I try to access it using Adobe Bridge it again recognises that there is a disc in the drive but returns the message " No items to display"

Canon Zoombrowser again recognises that there is a disc in the drive but shows a sort of "no entry" sign and the message is " There are no files to display in this folder, or there are no files that match the current filter settings. If you are sure that files exist in this folder, change your filter settings"

EOS Utility again spins the disc but doesn't find anything.

Canon Image browser EX: likewise.

Canon Digital Photo Professional: likewise

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 9:44 AM

It may be a driver problem, but strange that you have the same issue on your laptop and PC. It may be worth trying this
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubl...

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9667 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 11:40 AM

Isobuster could be worth a try. I used it a few years ago to recover video from a corrupt DVD+RW. I think some of the features are free and others are unlocked by purchasing the licence.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 11:50 AM

I wonder if it could be a driver update? If you laptop and PC are running the same OS and/or an icompatible driver nay explain why both computers have this same problem. You could try a system restore to the date that you wrote it (or last read the disc) but then you would have to make sure you updated all virus software etc.

Dvaid
    18 Apr 2013 - 6:42 PM

Isobuster has identified that there ARE files on the disc, thanks to EddieAC. However I don't know how to upload them to Photoshop. Drag and drop doesn't work, and the PS/ Bridge still doesn't recognise that there are images on the disc.

BEVZED
    BEVZED e2 Member 71139 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
    18 Apr 2013 - 10:58 PM

try the freebie ZAR, search the disc then download. Fantastic prog even though it is really slow, thorough though Smile Saved my bacon a few times

Jestertheclown
    18 Apr 2013 - 11:08 PM

Quote: try the freebie ZAR, search the disc then download.

I was going to suggest Recuva, which is a similar thing and is also free.

Personally, although I've heard others recommend it, I've never been able to get ZAR to recover anything.

Bren.

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9667 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Apr 2013 - 12:14 AM

I think that the download will act as a free version and some of the functions will work ok. There was a free version back when I used it in 2009.

As I remember there is an option to extract an iso image of a disc which I found by right-clicking on the drive in the left hand pane and selecting the extract image option. I then changed the 'save as type' to iso and the program scanned the disc and slowly created an iso image on the hard drive. After this I used Nero to burn this image back onto another disc, although there should be some free software available that will also burn an iso file if you do not have a copy of Nero.

Maybe this method could be used and your files may show up on the re-burnt disc.

Nikon_2013
    24 Apr 2013 - 3:36 PM

I would take it to a computer shop that does disk polishing. I had one last year that wouldn't load in any drive so my lad recommended a computer shop that polished them. It didn't look damaged but they gave it a spin in the machine, I took it home and it worked ... only cost about $4 Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.