Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How can I remove?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
geniehawk
geniehawk  7180 forum posts England
26 Jun 2009 - 11:11 AM

Can anyone help please? I seem to have picked up a virus on my USB stick and can't get rid of it. It is called "Recycler" and has also infected afriends stick.
I am not very familier with computer talk so please reply in simple terms!

Thanks
Jeannie.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jun 2009 - 11:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102180 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2009 - 11:32 AM

link

Try there. HIH
Matt.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
26 Jun 2009 - 11:33 AM

Answers here

mohikan22
mohikan22  102180 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2009 - 11:34 AM

link

or there if the previous will not work
Matt.

geniehawk
26 Jun 2009 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the links, they all seem a bit complicated for me though!
I was hoping for a simple "do this" answer but maybe it's not that simple, I will try to work them out though. I don't know how I even got this.

Jeannie.

User_Removed
26 Jun 2009 - 12:02 PM

Effective Bri...

Wink

Grin

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
26 Jun 2009 - 12:03 PM

Well, the simple "do this" answer is throw it away and buy a new one Smile
They are actually pretty cheap, so if there's nothing you desperately need on there, it's not such a daft idea.

geniehawk
26 Jun 2009 - 12:23 PM

OK, thats not a problem to replace but how do I stop it getting on a new one please?

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2009 - 12:27 PM

Don't do whatever it is you did before. Smile

If you copied a file direct to the stick from the internet then just don't do that again. If it was from a PC then that PC is almost certainly infected and you need to clean it up. Do you have AV and is it up to date?

geniehawk
26 Jun 2009 - 1:13 PM

Yes I have Norton and the Virgin one provided by them, I update the regulary but maybe I downloaded a file from the internet onto my stick. Would it get from my stick onto my PC when used? Sorry to be a pain but as I said my comp. knowledge is nil except for working in PS etc.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2009 - 1:16 PM

Depending upon the virus yes it could transfer from your stick to your PC if you opened it. If your AV is up to date it should pick it up, but maybe their virus signatures are not as new as that particular virus.

Beanie76
Beanie76  42 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2009 - 1:19 PM

some virus's don't require you to manually perform a task in order for them to spread to external media such as usb sticks. Conficker for example is able to copy itself to the stick when it's inserted.
You need a good anti virus program which is able to perform on-accessing scanning rather than relying on you to manual run a scan. Something like Sophos or AVG can perform this function and i'm sure many others can as well. AVG is free though Sophos isn't.

One thing you can do is turn off the autorun feature in Windows so that when an infected USB stick is inserted any virus already on it can't automatically copy itself to your computer. Although this doesnt eradicate the virus t helps to prevent it spreading.

Jestertheclown
26 Jun 2009 - 10:20 PM

As Bri says; throw it away and get a new one.
I'd never use a USB key that's been contaminated, however carefully it had been cleaned.
Also I'd never rely on Norton to stop anything either. I use 'Avast' which is free and effective. Dean's recommended AVG which also works well and although there have been problems with it recently, I think they've now been fixed.

Krakman
Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
26 Jun 2009 - 10:44 PM

Make sure that you have windows explorer to show hidden files. When you insert the USB stick, open it via "Explore" rather than the default "Open". Delete any hidden files in the top directory, especially any autorun files.

As far as I know you should be safe then. Of course, if your computer is infected (as it probably will be if you had a virus on the USB stick, the virus will probably reinstal on the USB stick next time you insert it. So you need to clean the virus off your computer first, then make sure the stick is cleaned of hidden files. Likewise any other external discs, compact flash etc. that you may insert.

Beanie76
Beanie76  42 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2009 - 11:08 AM

The other very easy way to clean your USB disk is to right click on it in explored and select format! However as many have said cleaning your USB stick will be pointless if your computer is infected. Pick an anti virus program download and install it then update and run it. You'll soon know if you have a virus. I wouldn't throw an infected USB drive away simply be cautious and follow online instructions to turn off autoplay (google it as it's very simple) then use your av software to clean it or format it which is guaranteed to clean it (as well as wipe any other data on it so be careful you have definately right clicked on your USB drive) if you aren't sure about formatting I would say don't do it as you could inadvertently format the wrong drive!

Last Modified By Beanie76 at 27 Jun 2009 - 11:13 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.