Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How can I tell if my card reader is USB 2.0?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fishiee
    fishiee e2 Member 10468 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

Hi,

Anyone know if I can tell if my card reader is USB 2.0 or just plain old 1.1 or even worse 1.0? It came free with my 10D a few years ago and is kinda slow now I'm using bigger cards when trasnferring to my PC whereas my portable HD is miles quicker!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

If it is not USB 2 and you are connecting to a USB 2 socket it should automatically register that it is USB 1.1. This realates to the device. As yet I have not found a way to check if the cable is USB 2 or not. Mike

fishiee
    fishiee e2 Member 10468 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

when you say automatically register as 1.1 you mean a popup box will tell me this?

I don't get that so I guess it must be 2.0. Which woiuld mean then that it's just a cheapo rubbish card reader? It's miles slower than my flashtrax portable HD when it comes to uploading to my PC.

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

I've noticed the same regarding the speed difference between a Flashtrax and a card reader.
    I'm using a USB 2 card reader and there is still a fairly substantial speed difference against the Flashtrax,even though they're both USB 2 devices.Be interesting to know why this is.

One thing I have noticed is if your card reader is not connected to the PC at start up and you connect it with the PC running the download speed can be ludicrously slow.Restarting the PC or always ensuring the card reader is connected during boot-up makes a huge difference to the devices speed.

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    29 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

Quote: It came free with my 10D a few years ago

A very good chance it's not 2.0 then...(lost the instruction leaflet..Smile )
    But then..does your PC have USB 2.0 ports?...surely you have the documentation for the computer to tell you this...
    Apart from that I don't know how you can tell if a "plug-in" card reader is either...
    They're not too expensive these days...bin it and buy another one...

fishiee
    29 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

oh the PC is definitely USB 2.0. Only built it a couple of weeks ago!

Will try having the reader plugged in before startup.

I know USB card readers are dirt cheap but if this is the maximum a 2.0 device can manage then I'd get a firewire one instead.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 12:26 AM

Quote: you mean a popup box will tell me this?

It should do on XP. To "test" it make sure that it is connected directly to a USB port, and not via a HUB that is sharing other peripherals. Also may be worth a go using a different cable.

Mike

Last Modified By miptog at 30 May 2007 - 12:26 AM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 1:05 AM

Don't forget that whatever speed your card reader is it can only read as fast as the card in it will allow, If you check the read speeds of the memory card in use, You'll probably find it's pretty slow anyhow, This is why you portable is faster.

User_Removed
    30 May 2007 - 8:07 AM

I was having similar problems when I was downloading 16Gb's worth of cards at the weekend. I found a useful app that will tell you about all of the USB stuff in/connected to your computer.

Can't remember what it was called off the top of my head, but I'll have a look when I get in tonight for you... Turns out my reader is only USB 1.1 Sad

ZenTog
    ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

if you are downloading big cards , get a firewire card reader from sandisk so much faster

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.