Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How can I tell if this charity shop lens is a good one?

25 Apr 2013 11:06PM
I've found a Conison Auto MC 50mm f1.7 lens in a local charity shop for 8. It looked in good condition so I found a 6 for a mount converter for my Canon 600d on ebay.

I'm fairly new to the dSLR world and the cost of a new, or even used, upgrade lens means I've got to save some pennies for a while yet. So for less than 15 I thought I'd give it a go.

While I think this lens looks like it takes good pictures with a nice bokeh (when I get the manual settings right) I've only got the 18-55mm kit lens to compare it against. I quite liked having to set focus and aperture myself and it felt like it made me think a bit more about the settings.

img-1536.jpg

I've taken a few photos on the way home, so I was wondering if anyone with a bit more knowledge than me would be able to judge the quality of the lens. Apologies if other areas of the photos are poor, composition etc, but I'm just learning the trade and wanted to get a couple of snaps in.

img-1375.jpg

img-1495.jpg

img-1517.jpg

img-1530.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

25 Apr 2013 11:39PM
working well nice find.
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2013 11:50PM
Cosina aren't known as a particularly high quality brand, but from the photos you've posted it looks like it's giving you sharp results, and from the photo of the lens it looks clean and in decent condition. Decent value for money too, and may be useful in low light with a bright aperture. PS Welcome to the site Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Apr 2013 12:13AM
They make Bessa film camera`s and Voigtlander lenses Smile Smile

They made some great lenses and some that were not quite so great.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Apr 2013 12:26AM
Its a standard 50mm so it should be OK, most 50`s were.

Get out and try it wide open.
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
26 Apr 2013 12:38AM
My first slr was a cosina ct1g i loved it basic but beautiful much like masel Grin Its a nice lens btw i have one also if anybody wants it Grin

Rod
EG 5 22 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 8:41AM
Great shots good lighting I always think photographs are a personal thing and can't see anything wrong with yours.

Regards

Eddie
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
26 Apr 2013 9:04AM
I once owned on of these and I have to say that the quality was very good.

I also owned a 28-50 which was also very good.

Some of the other Cosina lenses were dreadful in my opinion.

Ken.

ps, welcome to the site.
26 Apr 2013 9:28AM
Thanks for the comments and welcome guys.

I like it, so I'm happy. They also have a Cosinon f.28 135mm for 10. So I'll pick that up too.
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 10:18AM
The main thing is whether or not it works for you. Most 50s are at least good, some spectacularly so though yours won't fall into that category, but it should be fine. 50mm is one of the simplest optical formulae, as is 135mm, so that one should perform ok too as long as its optically and mechanically sound.

Enjoy

Nick
26 Apr 2013 2:12PM
I've picked up the 135mm as well.
I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.
Niknut e2
4 740 64 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 4:10PM
The Cosina lenses that I've used over the years have all performed extremely well !!
A 50mm f1.4 was superb on my old film SLR, as was the 135mm f2.8 that you appear to have !
I also have a 19-35mm zoom, which I use on my Canon 5d, with equally great results....in fact it's sharper in the corners
than the Canon 17-40mm L lens that I have, & half the weight.....so I prefer the Cosina over the Canon !!!

Can't say fairer than that !!Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Apr 2013 4:44PM
Cosina made loads of lenses for some of the best known camera brands, Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc, and some of the legendary Vivitar Series 1`s were also made by Cosina.

Many of you probably own Cosina made lenses at some point and just assumed they were Nikon, Canon etc simply because these lenses were stamped with there brand names.

There behind the new Zeiss lenses as well as the previously mentioned Voigtlanders.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Apr 2013 5:02PM
Interesting video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-41VOEVqbTM#!
26 Apr 2013 6:21PM
Are Cosina and Cosinon the same people then?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.