Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How can I tell if this charity shop lens is a good one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bigtommy79
25 Apr 2013 - 11:06 PM

I've found a Conison Auto MC 50mm f1.7 lens in a local charity shop for 8. It looked in good condition so I found a 6 for a mount converter for my Canon 600d on ebay.

I'm fairly new to the dSLR world and the cost of a new, or even used, upgrade lens means I've got to save some pennies for a while yet. So for less than 15 I thought I'd give it a go.

While I think this lens looks like it takes good pictures with a nice bokeh (when I get the manual settings right) I've only got the 18-55mm kit lens to compare it against. I quite liked having to set focus and aperture myself and it felt like it made me think a bit more about the settings.

img-1536.jpg

I've taken a few photos on the way home, so I was wondering if anyone with a bit more knowledge than me would be able to judge the quality of the lens. Apologies if other areas of the photos are poor, composition etc, but I'm just learning the trade and wanted to get a couple of snaps in.

img-1375.jpg

img-1495.jpg

img-1517.jpg

img-1530.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Apr 2013 - 11:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 11:39 PM

working well nice find.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
25 Apr 2013 - 11:50 PM

Cosina aren't known as a particularly high quality brand, but from the photos you've posted it looks like it's giving you sharp results, and from the photo of the lens it looks clean and in decent condition. Decent value for money too, and may be useful in low light with a bright aperture. PS Welcome to the site Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 12:13 AM

They make Bessa film camera`s and Voigtlander lenses Smile Smile

They made some great lenses and some that were not quite so great.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 12:26 AM

Its a standard 50mm so it should be OK, most 50`s were.

Get out and try it wide open.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Apr 2013 - 12:27 AM
widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 12:38 AM

My first slr was a cosina ct1g i loved it basic but beautiful much like masel Grin Its a nice lens btw i have one also if anybody wants it Grin

Rod

EG
EG  4 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 - 8:41 AM

Great shots good lighting I always think photographs are a personal thing and can't see anything wrong with yours.

Regards

Eddie

franken
franken e2 Member 113056 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 9:04 AM

I once owned on of these and I have to say that the quality was very good.

I also owned a 28-50 which was also very good.

Some of the other Cosina lenses were dreadful in my opinion.

Ken.

ps, welcome to the site.

Last Modified By franken at 26 Apr 2013 - 9:04 AM
bigtommy79
26 Apr 2013 - 9:28 AM

Thanks for the comments and welcome guys.

I like it, so I'm happy. They also have a Cosinon f.28 135mm for 10. So I'll pick that up too.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 10:18 AM

The main thing is whether or not it works for you. Most 50s are at least good, some spectacularly so though yours won't fall into that category, but it should be fine. 50mm is one of the simplest optical formulae, as is 135mm, so that one should perform ok too as long as its optically and mechanically sound.

Enjoy

Nick

bigtommy79
26 Apr 2013 - 2:12 PM

I've picked up the 135mm as well.
I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4521 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 4:10 PM

The Cosina lenses that I've used over the years have all performed extremely well !!
A 50mm f1.4 was superb on my old film SLR, as was the 135mm f2.8 that you appear to have !
I also have a 19-35mm zoom, which I use on my Canon 5d, with equally great results....in fact it's sharper in the corners
than the Canon 17-40mm L lens that I have, & half the weight.....so I prefer the Cosina over the Canon !!!

Can't say fairer than that !!Smile

Paul Morgan
26 Apr 2013 - 4:44 PM

Cosina made loads of lenses for some of the best known camera brands, Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc, and some of the legendary Vivitar Series 1`s were also made by Cosina.

Many of you probably own Cosina made lenses at some point and just assumed they were Nikon, Canon etc simply because these lenses were stamped with there brand names.

There behind the new Zeiss lenses as well as the previously mentioned Voigtlanders.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Apr 2013 - 4:49 PM
Paul Morgan
26 Apr 2013 - 5:02 PM

Interesting video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-41VOEVqbTM#!

bigtommy79
26 Apr 2013 - 6:21 PM

Are Cosina and Cosinon the same people then?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.