Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How can someone do this ...

oll1e e2
7 57 2 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 12:53AM
Just been reading in my Whitby gazette that some yobs sprayed a young herring gull with red car paint ,not just on the outside inside its wings as well !!!.Spokes woman said it will take 2 years for it to moult and grow new wing feathers etc.Some nasty folk about .1337414745.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 8:57AM
Disgraceful behaviour.
Here's hoping karma prevails.
24 Aug 2014 10:34AM
That's terrible. Poor thing.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
24 Aug 2014 11:20AM
One ghastly youth that I used to know played a mean trick on seagulls.

He'd embed some calcium carbide in a lump of bread knowing that it would be wolfed down. He didn't have to wait long before the poor bird exploded.
catgirl73 6 142 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 12:29PM
Jesus C what on earth is wrong with kids these days, who the hell are bring up these people?
bugdozer 11 85 2
24 Aug 2014 12:48PM
People who are otherwise fine with animals seem to think that seagulls somehow deserve to be treated cruelly. There is an abnormally high level of acceptance of seagull mistreatment which you wouldn't find with any other bird. I don't understand why that is.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
24 Aug 2014 1:48PM

Quote:Jesus C what on earth is wrong with kids these days, who the hell are bring up these people?

Children arrive in this world pure and unsullied. Then parents, family, school and society have to spoil it!
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 2:03PM
Sometimes think kids don't know pain. By the time I was a teenager I'd nursed the results of a few straps, canes and belts, mainly from teachers but also from exasperated parents.

To cause pain to another living creature, something that might hurt for hours, might be something you consider twice if you know how it feels. I hope these thugs feel it one day.

Not all kids are like this thankfully and I bet the police already have names following the article. Let's hope also that CCTV finds number plates or faces of those suspects and perhaps they have vehicles with matching paint,
oll1e e2
7 57 2 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 2:32PM
The lady who owns the animal rescue centre ,said because it was car paint it will have to wear off as the poor birds wings are solid .She also said it must have been more than one sick individual as someone had to keep its wings open while another sprayed it .
They have called it poppy,i really hope this wee bird survives .
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 7:02PM

Quote:He'd embed some calcium carbide in a lump of bread knowing that it would be wolfed down. He didn't have to wait long before the poor bird exploded.

My father told me that that was what they used to do on his RAF base in Stornoway in the Hebrides during the war. It was to keep the runway clear and thus the birds out of the engines of the planes.
bugdozer 11 85 2
25 Aug 2014 1:47AM

Quote:He'd embed some calcium carbide in a lump of bread knowing that it would be wolfed down. He didn't have to wait long before the poor bird exploded.

My father told me that that was what they used to do on his RAF base in Stornoway in the Hebrides during the war. It was to keep the runway clear and thus the birds out of the engines of the planes.

Rubbish excuse. Seagulls (and lots of other birds) are scavengers and will quite happily eat the carcass of one of their own kind. A dead seagull will simply attract more seagulls. Furthermore, putting bait out simply brings them there in the first place. They aren't bright enough to learn that the food will kill them so it would have been far less effective at keeping them away than, say, a couple of shotgun blasts. The surviving birds would then associate the bangs with danger. A seagull watching another seagull die from a burst stomach would be unable to understand that it was because of what it had eaten.
oll1e e2
7 57 2 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2014 3:15AM
Yes you are right ,a few months ago a woman was walking along the quayside with a burger when a seagull grabbed it out of her hand .Almost immediately there was an article calling for the birds to be culled !!!!. I really do not understand these idiots .Perhaps if they didn't throw chips at them and leave takeaways all over the floor it would not happen so often .
justin c 10 4.5k 36 England
25 Aug 2014 7:58AM

Quote:Yes you are right ,a few months ago a woman was walking along the quayside with a burger when a seagull grabbed it out of her hand

The seagull was actually part of a government/national health led initiative on trying to prevent the growth of the UK's current obesity problem. Rumour has it that it takes up to four weeks to train the seagull to take the food from a person's hand and a further eight weeks to train the seagull to differentiate between a slim person and one that has a more 'rounded' appearance and would benefit from being targeted Grin
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
25 Aug 2014 11:08AM

Quote:Rubbish excuse.

Excuse? Smug or what? My father was as fond of animals as anyone else. He was an airman during the war and that was how they were ordered to clear the runway. I thought my post was adding information and an insight into other times.

Incidentally, I love the shotgun idea. These weren't Barbour clad chaps in green wellies, they were oiks from Deptford and such places. I really must look at the wartime pictures my dad left - maybe he took pictures of his brace of Purdeys.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
25 Aug 2014 12:27PM
Some airfields use special bird-scarers, remotely controlled from the tower, that use blank shotgun cartridges. Unfortunately, birds get used to the noise and learn to ignore it!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.