Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do i calibrate my printer?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Andy1979
Andy1979  7754 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hi there , i am wanting to do a print from my epson R2400 but it keeps coming out really dark my monitor is calibrated by a pantone huey, but i dont know how to correct this problem so what i see on screen is pritty much what i will be getting on a print out! can you help.

Last Modified By Andy1979 at 4 Sep 2008 - 10:50 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Sep 2008 - 10:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8
Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2008 - 11:07 AM

I would guess you've got to calibrate the printer as well, or tell it to use the same colour space that your monitor is using.

I've not calibrated my monitor, but am interested in doing so when funds improve.

Chris

Andy1979
4 Sep 2008 - 11:11 AM

I am telling the printer to let photoshop set the colour space which is adobe 1998, i have photoshop cs3 using adobe colour space 1998 but its still really dark not sure what to do?

User_Removed
4 Sep 2008 - 11:15 AM

Quote: I tell it to use the same colour space that your monitor is using.

You don't want to be doing that Smile Your monitor profile is for your monitor. It is there to make sure that colours etc are displayed 'correctly' on your screen.

When you print, the profile you should be using in your print control settings (nowhere else) is the one for the printer and paper combination that you are using Smile

You are doing the right thing by setting the option to allow Photoshop to handle the printing but you need to switch Color Management off in the print dialog box. Are you using Epson paper and inks? If so, you need to make sure that you have selected the right paper in the printer properties option and you shouldn't be going too far wrong

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Sep 2008 - 11:19 AM
Andy1979
4 Sep 2008 - 11:38 AM

I have Glossy paper but there is no option for this paper only different kinds of matt paper and fine art paper!

AnthonyM
AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2008 - 11:47 AM

All I can say is good luck.

I have a Canon9000 with proper paper, proper profile, and proper inks and of course a calibrated/profiled monitor.
Been following rules, guidelines and suggestions from multiple sources to set up CS3 and printer configures. Months later I still have no clue what the next print will look like.. certainly not like what I see on screen. (Very green, to very light or too dark. Ya just never know whats next.)

If you do find an answer, may I request that you post it here?
I have found hundreds of links for postings from people with similar problems, but no solutions. Either they quit trying, or they do not post the solution once found.
It would be great if I found someone who actually gets this working. Smile

User_Removed
4 Sep 2008 - 11:48 AM

Quote: I have Glossy paper but there is no option for this paper only different kinds of matt paper and fine art paper!

Then it is certainly something you are doing wrong with the printer setup Andy because this printer can utilise a large range of papers (see this link)

rogleale
rogleale  12120 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Sep 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hi Andy
The first thing you have to do is learn the difference between colour spaces and profiles! aRGB is a colour space that you can work in but you need a profile to send the result to a printer successfully.
You should use a profile from either your printer manufacturer or paper maker as Barrie said, which will probably be from Epson.
A very common reason for getting darker prints than are expected is that LCD monitors are far too bright and should be turned down. Unfortunately this is usually over-looked when profiling the monitor. The generally recommended brightness nowadays is around 100 cd/mē but some monitors off the shelf,eg Dell, LaCie, are set up to 200cd/mē.
Test this theory if you like by re-doing one of your pictures that came out too dark, but do the adjustments in a dark room ie turn the lights off and shut the curtains!
As a matter of interest, to me that is, is that the brightness on my Samtron is set at 30%, at 100% a plain white page is painful to look at.
Don't give up yet!

Roger

User_Removed
4 Sep 2008 - 11:50 AM

I use the 9000 and the 9500 Anthony and it works great. I know it's no help to you in saying this but clearly, it is something in your setup that is at fault.

This is part of the problem in that there are so many elements that are crucial to getting this right and sometimes people think they have done it all right but in fact they've not seen an error intheir setup or they have misunderstood.

As I say, my Canon 9000s and 9500s are great with regard to colour reproduction

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Sep 2008 - 11:51 AM
User_Removed
4 Sep 2008 - 12:04 PM

Andy and Anthony

Do either of you live anywhere near my part of the worlds (Chester, UK) as I'd willing try to sort this out for you (particularly Anthony as I use the same printers)

EDIT: I've just seen Anthony's flag Wink Perhaps you could send me an air ticket? Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Sep 2008 - 12:05 PM
pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
4 Sep 2008 - 12:31 PM

This subject comes up so often on this forum. The main answer should generally be, get yourself a custom profile made for your printer/paper/ink combination.

It is very cheap in comparison to all the hardware and software we are prepared to splash out on, and will probably save you a fortune in wasted time/paper/ink.

Paul.

User_Removed
4 Sep 2008 - 12:34 PM

Quote: This subject comes up so often on this forum. The main answer should generally be, get yourself a custom profile made for your printer/paper/ink combination.

It is very cheap in comparison to all the hardware and software we are prepared to splash out on, and will probably save you a fortune in wasted time/paper/ink.

Paul.

What you say is true but for a manufacturers own paper and ink, it shouldn't be necessary and of course, as has been said before, accurate printing is as much dependent upon the other elements in the work flow as it is on correct printer profiles

Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Sep 2008 - 12:35 PM
pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
4 Sep 2008 - 12:44 PM

I was presuming that people already using colour management would be able to set up the correct profiles in their workflow, allied to the fact that there are differences between individual machines (depending on manufacturing tolerances and usage etc), and differing batches of paper and ink.

Paul.

AlanPerkins
4 Sep 2008 - 12:50 PM

Quote: I have Glossy paper but there is no option for this paper only different kinds of matt paper and fine art paper!

Andy, If you put a photoblack ink cartridge in place of the matt black one, you should get the glossy papers in your list.

Andy1979
4 Sep 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have lightroom 2 i tried to print out and the print is more sharp and more of what i see on screen when i print from there, but if i print within cs3 it is so dark and i am just waisting ink and good paper trying to get it set up correctly,.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.