Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do i get an internet connection without a landline phone contract?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
12 Aug 2012 - 2:32 PM

I am moving in to my new house soon and have decided that i dont want a landline phone but will still need to connect to the internet. I dont know if i can do this can anyone advise. Do i need to install a telephone line but just get a contract for internet connection instead of a call package?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Aug 2012 - 2:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3837 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 - 2:46 PM

This might have some useful info:

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/partner-92739/broadband/without-phone-line.html

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9372 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
12 Aug 2012 - 2:49 PM

You could get a mobile dongle. It basically connects through the mobile phone network. We've got one on a 2 month rolling contract with Virgin. Its a 7.2Mb modem so pretty fast.

Please note i am no way affiliated with Virgin.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3837 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 - 3:49 PM

However, the speed you actually achieve with a 3g dongle is unlikely to match that of the modem. See here: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/356662/why-you-wont-get-the-mobile-broadband-speeds-you-pay-for

lemmy
lemmy  71941 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 - 4:15 PM

Quote: Do i need to install a telephone line but just get a contract for internet connection instead of a call package?

Yes, because unless you have cable into your home, you need a phone line to get the internet data in.

As far as I know no-one offers internet access without line rental, in which case you might as well have a phone as not.

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3146 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 - 4:59 PM

Virgin media

franken
franken e2 Member 123173 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM

If you're in an area covered by Virgin then this may do?

Ken

http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html

ps, you need to click the red no button for a price without a phone.

Last Modified By franken at 12 Aug 2012 - 5:10 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 5:30 PM

Don't Sky do a broadband with their satellite package? But that only works if you want to ally yourself with Murdoch...

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95933 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 5:38 PM

Quote: Don't Sky do a broadband with their satellite package? But that only works if you want to ally yourself with Murdoch...

It still has to make use of a BT line

lemmy
lemmy  71941 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 - 5:41 PM

Quote: But that only works if you want to ally yourself with Murdoch...

No it doesn't. You can hate Murdoch but Sky still works. I couldn't stand Steve Jobs but it didn't stop my iPad working Tongue

monstersnowman
12 Aug 2012 - 7:14 PM

Another alternative is a dongle with O2 and if you have any hotspots nearby the broadband dongle allows you free use of the hotspots which doesn't affect your package allowance. For multiple users you could get an O2 mifi unit and then also use the free hotspot connection

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91034 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 9:04 PM

If you have a phone that can act as a wi-fi hotspot (as most smartphones do these days) then you can piggy-back on your mobile connection. Not sure what the speed would be like though, as dependent on mobile reception.

monstersnowman
12 Aug 2012 - 9:43 PM

Quote: Another alternative is a dongle with O2 and if you have any hotspots nearby the broadband dongle allows you free use of the hotspots which doesn't affect your package allowance. For multiple users you could get an O2 mifi unit and then also use the free hotspot connection

Forgot to add that (if you aren't aware), the hotspots are a long range wifi broadband signal that O2 provide and they are free unlimited access for broadband customers, even those on payg no-contract dongle deals. You can set your dongle not to use the 3G signal and use the hotspot wifi, thus saving allowance and money. I used it for a week away and the speed was absolutely fine. But having numerous gadgets now (we all have iPods/pads) I will get a mifi, so my wifi iPad can hook up to the Internet out and about.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
13 Aug 2012 - 9:25 AM

I have a smart phone and i am on an orange contract. I dont know if there is any product from orange that can get me on the internet.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
13 Aug 2012 - 9:43 AM

What is the minimum speed i need as i will be using the internet to upload my photos to the photo lab?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.