Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do I get photos from camera to computer instantly?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chelle
    chelle  977 forum posts
    30 Sep 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hi there!

I have been asked to do some event photography where the photos I take will have to be viewable on my macbook instantly. I have never done this before as have never had to. What can be used to do this? I've seen people use wires from the camera to computer to view the pics instantly, and also seen some photographers do it wirelessly.

I'm after the cheapest way as I haven't got a lot of outlay.

Also, would I have to have certain software to view them instantly on my macbook too? If so which software? I have photoshop and Aperture. Could I use one of these?

Thankyou in advance. Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Sep 2011 - 11:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miked70
    miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2011 - 5:38 AM

you can use Lightroom 3 or above with a cable that plugs in your camera know it works on Canon and Nikon if they have the output socket normally a standard cable from pc shop think aperture does as well look for tethered shooting in help menu

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2011 - 8:59 AM

For cable link I note you have a Canon camera so just use EOS utility as it lets you link the camera to a PC and you can have direct link to the computer for free via the USB port. On some cameras you can even drive the camera from the PC. So that is the lowest cost option. and having used it I think it works well. If it works for your camera it should be in the CD's that came with it. Also after installing the SW do some downloads from the Canon site as they have improved this free SW suit a lot. It works on PC, no idea if it works on Mac

Wireless you get memory cards that have a WiFi feature but that costs more and I have not used one so no idea how good or bad they are.

User_Removed
    1 Oct 2011 - 11:25 AM

Look at the range of Eye-Fi cards like this one for example.

It's probably the easiest and cheapest way to do it without wires.

lemmy
    lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Oct 2011 - 10:41 PM

This is how I do it with my iPad. I assume the MacBook would be the same.

http://youtu.be/LCxKZ7RjkXk

SanDisk_UK
    15 Feb 2012 - 1:33 PM

Hi chelle,

We've only just joined ePhotoZine, so apologies for the slow reply. SanDisk launched its range of SanDisk Eye-Fi cards at the end of last year, which as Chris_L said, are a really convenient way of wirelessly transferring photos directly from an SD card to a tablet, without removing the card from your camera. You can find out more here.

Cheers,

Nick on behalf of SanDisk (UK)

lemmy
    lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Feb 2012 - 1:47 PM

Quote: I'm after the cheapest way as I haven't got a lot of outlay.

Are the Eye-Fi cards really cheap?

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2012 - 3:10 PM

Quote: Hi chelle,

We've only just joined ePhotoZine, so apologies for the slow reply. SanDisk launched its range of SanDisk Eye-Fi cards at the end of last year, which as Chris_L said, are a really convenient way of wirelessly transferring photos directly from an SD card to a tablet, without removing the card from your camera. You can find out more here.

Cheers,

Nick on behalf of SanDisk (UK)

....but really slow....

transfering to a macbook

i bought an eye fi card to use for events, and wont be using it again, it is just far too slow for pro use, i need the photos instantly, not after sometimes more than a minute for a raw file, by which time the client has got bored and walked off, only not to buy any prints. Sad I now use cable, and they are instant.... one day it will be the nikon wireless transfer pack, but at 450 isnt cheap by a long way.

And no, Eye fi cards are not cheap.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.