Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do I get pure b/w in my prints and no colour tinge?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
MiqsPix
MiqsPix  340 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Feb 2013 - 3:10 PM

I import all my colour images into Lightroom 4 and then use Photoshop to convert to b/w and process final printing through Lightroom 4 to my Epson Stylus 360 Photo printer. However I find that I get a variation in my mono prints with a very slight colour hue showing in certain areas particularly where I have digitally modified. I understand that to get pure b/w from my 6 colour printer is difficult but ask if there is something I can do to achieve more accurate mono colour without these slight tinges. I always use the printer colour management so should I be using alternative colour management? In the Lightroom profile management list there are many setting choices, Adobe etc, and I don't know which one to go for. Also is it best to just reduce saturation instead of using the Photoshop b/w conversion to b/w? Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2013 - 3:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 3:51 PM

Try Adobe ICC and see if that makes the difference

User_Removed
6 Feb 2013 - 3:53 PM

I am afraid that it is extremely difficult to get rid of any trace of colour cast when printing mono on a colour printer. The only way I managed it was to invest in a printer (Epson R3000) that uses several different "shades of black" cartridges.

Using Epson's enhanced B&W profile, this printer uses only the Black, Light Black and Light Light Black cartridges to print mono if you choose the neutral setting (there are also warm and cold settings).

teepee
teepee  11581 forum posts England
6 Feb 2013 - 4:52 PM

send them to be printed by Photobox Smile

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:56 PM

Printers that use 3 black cartridges for different densities is at present the only solution.
I have the Epson R2880 that has been superseded by the R3000. They are however A3 intended for those producing exhibition sized prints in B&W.
The problem you have crops up so often on here combined with the increased popularity of mono there just might a reason for the likes of Epson and Canon to deliver for A4.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 6:35 PM

I did quite a bit of research before getting my present printer; cheap, three-in-one, and it does produce great black and white prints with exceptional detail, even in the dark areas. I did most of my research on the model previous to the one I bought, because this was new on the market, but it pretty well matches the older model. It's the Canon MG6120. I should add that good black and white prints was my number 1 requirement.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 6 Feb 2013 - 6:37 PM
dcash29
dcash29  81870 forum posts England
6 Feb 2013 - 7:01 PM

Do you have these options in your print option box?

On the first (General) page, select Best Photo
Select Plain Paper as the media - regardless if you're using gloss
Select paper size and orientation as required
Select the advanced button and select - Greyscale, High Speed, Edge Smoothing options

Last Modified By dcash29 at 6 Feb 2013 - 7:03 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 9:24 PM

I'll look!

The only one it doesn't have is select best photo. If I were to insert a memory card, I don't know if it would or not.

It does have a hidden tray for regular paper, and slot for photo paper, and it does double side printing.

dcash29
7 Feb 2013 - 12:04 AM

My posting was to the OP

MiqsPix
7 Feb 2013 - 11:48 AM

Thank you once again for all the advice. After much thought I suspect that I had edited the image using a brightness and contrast adjustment layer AFTER conversion to grayscale which apparently is not the correct method. This should have been done before conversion. That is why the parts that have been edited are subject to a slight colour change. Subsequently I downloaded a grayscale sample image and printed it off via Lightroom, but using the Epson printer driver on Epson Premium Gloss, and as I suspected it is as near perfect as I could wish given the limits of my printer. I guess that in future if I want to edit an image I need to do it before conversion to grayscale so avoiding the possibility of this colour difference in certain areas.

779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 - 11:55 AM

Do you change the image to Greyscale rather than RGB? I used to do this but had problems with printer not being set up for greyscale - changing to RGB solved the problem.

MiqsPix
7 Feb 2013 - 12:32 PM

The image was changed to grayscale from original colour and when printing I selected grayscale on the printer driver set up.

779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 - 12:40 PM

Quote: The image was changed to grayscale from original colour and when printing I selected grayscale on the printer driver set up.

Oh Okay. Still might be worth doing one as RGB and leaving the printer as RGB too. Working from RAW I just desaturated the RAW file and leave it as RGB seems to have solved the color-casting problem I was having. I don't have a printer I send everything away for printing so not sure about printer settings really.

dcash29
7 Feb 2013 - 4:43 PM

did you test my posting especially the media setting?

Last Modified By dcash29 at 7 Feb 2013 - 4:45 PM
MiqsPix
7 Feb 2013 - 5:46 PM

Up to a point. Are you using Lightroom? My options are different using the Epson printer driver and LR print options. However I refer to my last but one posting as I tested all my settings and it resulted in a near perfect result except for the areas I had edited.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.