Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do I get rid of `bounced' or `faked bounced' emails

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: not doing anyone any favours
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 1:34 PM

Hoping one of you genii out there might be able to help?

My wife has an email address that was created when we were with `Virgin Media'. We are long gone from them, have no account, so can't get any direct support.

Lately we have been receiving daily `bounced' or `fake bounced' (not sure how you tell the difference?) emails, sometimes in the hundreds. It seems someone has hacked her email address and using it as a spam tool, trying to send messages to obscure addresses.

Fortunately, Gmail spam filters them out and I'm currently just deleting them, but wondered if there was any other way of stopping them.

Have considered `closing' the email account (i.e. start using a new email address) but this is my wife's main email address and would cause a bit of a headache to have change all the contacts.

Any suggestions? Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2013 - 1:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 1:45 PM

delete old email account id have thought dont open new emails just keep delete

mikehit
mikehit  56674 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 1:54 PM

Apparently a lot of these cases are not hacked accounts. They could have hacked someone else's account and got your wife's email address from that - apparently it is then an easy matter to send an email from their own account and put your wife's email address on the front of the email making it look like it came from her. So I could send an email to you and make it look like it came from 'elephants.anonymous@yahoo.com' without ever having hacked any one's account.
In my email inbox I can right-click on the email and click 'View full header' which shows the true sender: you can then block this email address.

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 2:37 PM

thats true a problem in email can affect your contacts in your address book too

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 2:59 PM

Quote: In my email inbox I can right-click on the email and click 'View full header' which shows the true sender: you can then block this email address.

thks...will have a look see Smile

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 3:02 PM

also i recieved your reply twice did you send two Smile

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 3:04 PM

i take it you run and update your anti virus regualar surpriseing how many dont

cats_123
25 Jan 2013 - 3:18 PM

Quote: Also i recieved your reply twice did you send two Smile

no

Avast runs live permanently. Have never had this sort of problem b4 Smile

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 3:27 PM

so it auto updates does it ?

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 3:31 PM

she could try a different password on her email addy make it stronger see wat happens

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 3:51 PM

you could also try search see if still got any folders from virgin media on your computer and delete if not needed

cats_123
25 Jan 2013 - 4:32 PM

Quote: So it auto updates does it ?

yes..at least once a day

tried the right click for the sender but the messages are generated by the virgin media server (so blocking would have the wrong effect)

Quote: she could try a different password on her email addy make it stronger see wat happens

not sure that she can now gain access to the email management, but worth a look Smile

Quote: you could also try search see if still got any folders from virgin media on your computer and delete if not needed

doubtful but there may be some hidden files...this is a `newish' computer so would not have any historical data

aprreciate the efforts Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 7:46 PM

Quote: Lately we have been receiving daily `bounced' or `fake bounced' (not sure how you tell the difference?) emails, sometimes in the hundreds. It seems someone has hacked her email address and using it as a spam tool, trying to send messages to obscure addresses

Same happened to me a while ago its not nice, change all your passwords.

If you check your sent email folder you will see those emails were not sent from your PC Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Jan 2013 - 7:47 PM
User_Removed
25 Jan 2013 - 11:46 PM

Nobody has to hack anything to send emails in your name. There's no evidence that anyone has hacked your email address.

It's like someone going to a post box and posting junk mail with your name and house address as sender. They don't even have any contact with you, but you get the complaints and undelivered mail.

They don't have to break into your house to do it.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315605 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 12:03 AM

Quote: Nobody has to hack anything to send emails in your name

They will still need your password to access and use your email account, so yes they do hack.

A while ago there was a problem effecting some members of this Site, I only discovered this after I got an email from Pete including a link to a hackers blog, he was basically supplying information, training and hacking software for free download, it was quite scary, he had a page showing hundreds of email addresses he had hacked including all the passwords, I eventually got his blog removed.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: not doing anyone any favours