Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do I get rid of `bounced' or `faked bounced' emails

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: not doing anyone any favours
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 9:37 PM

Quote: Paul the subtle point you don't understand

There you go, I understand fully. yet some argue simply for the sake of it.

The poster needs to contact the email service in question, asking them to delete the account explaining the problems, there is no need to spend hours sat on a phone, there should be some way of contacting them via email, do this and my bet is, all those returned emails will stop.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jan 2013 - 9:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 9:56 PM

http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/?branding=virginmedia

email.jpg

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 10:40 PM

thanks, Paul...will give that a try Smile
jeff

User_Removed
26 Jan 2013 - 11:07 PM

Quote: Maybe we were talking at cross purposes: I (and I believe Chris) were referring to the OP and saying they may not have been hacked

Exactly, thanks Mike.

Paul's convinced that every email problem must be the same as the one he suffered from.

Paul, what has the OP said that demonstrates that anyone has got into their address book or email account? Nothing to suggest more than spam has been sent in their name and they've got the bounce back.

Paul Morgan
26 Jan 2013 - 11:41 PM

Sit back and think about it Chris, have you ever been effected in the way you talk about, I never have and I`ve never known of any one else effected in that way.

Quote: thanks, Paul...will give that a try

How long as it been since you quit your account with virgin, I could be wrong but I thought the email account will only be available for 90 days following a cancellation of contract.

mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 11:47 PM

Paul: I have been affected in exactly that way - I received an email into my work email account and it was 'addressed' from my own work email account and the IT department explained exactly that.

Have you ever checked the source details of spam email? Much of the emails from banks etc is not from banks despite what it says in the 'from' column of your inbox.

Last Modified By mikehit at 26 Jan 2013 - 11:47 PM
User_Removed
27 Jan 2013 - 12:24 AM

Quote: I`ve never known of any one else effected in that way.

When a spammer sends ten thousand emails out that look like they come from a respectable business (because that's the reply address) the ones that bounce go to that business. If you know businesses like PayPal, ebay, Barclays, HSBC then you know of someone else affected in that way.

I have a friend called Janet Smith, she's with one of the popular ISPs. Her email address janetsmith@[her-isp].net was chosen by a spammer who sent spam to thousands and thousands of normal people. Those that bounced back were coming into her inbox at the rate of 4 a minute.

They probably just made up a friendly sounding email address so that people would open the email. Not bothered whether it belonged to anybody.

Paul, can you tell me what symptoms does Jeff the OP have that suggests anything other than that has happened to him?

Paul Morgan
27 Jan 2013 - 12:25 AM

Quote: Have you ever checked the source details of spam email? Much of the emails from banks etc is not from banks despite what it says in the 'from' column of your inbox

Yes, when I was infected, the source explains a lot, in my case the spam was sent from my own email account and like I have previously explained from an IP address in the US, the solution was simple, a change of password stopped all that.

Quote: Paul, can you tell me what symptoms does Jeff the OP have that suggests anything other than that has happened to him?

Its best to try one solution at a time Chris, change the password or delete the account, and see what happens.

Did you notice the pull down menu for the type of abuse you want to report Chris, Email account hijacking was in the list, why was it in the list, because its very very common.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 27 Jan 2013 - 12:32 AM
mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 12:33 AM

One last time paul - are you saying that the explanation given to me by our company IT department is not possible?

Paul Morgan
27 Jan 2013 - 12:34 AM

I have no idea what your company told you Mike.

User_Removed
27 Jan 2013 - 12:35 AM

I don't deny that email hacking is very common but normal spam is far more common and rather than say it comes from ivorspambiz@mafia.ru they tend to make it look like it comes from paulmorgan@virgin.net

Trouble is Paul Morgan immediately thinks he must have been hacked....

Actually, what was different about your case that makes you think they didn't just send mail out using your name and email address?

Paul Morgan
27 Jan 2013 - 12:41 AM

Chris I have never had the sort of returned spam you talk about.

Quote: Trouble is Paul Morgan immediately thinks he must have been hacked....

That fact is I could tell I had been hacked, also the hacker in question kept a blog, he listed all his hacked accounts with the account passwords, the list included my email address and password amongst hundreds of others.

User_Removed
27 Jan 2013 - 12:54 AM

Quote: Chris I have never had the sort of returned spam you talk about.

Thing is the OP has, which means it's even more likely to be what we say and not what you say.

Paul Morgan
27 Jan 2013 - 12:56 AM

Like I said, best try one solution at a time and since you have no solution.

User_Removed
27 Jan 2013 - 1:08 AM

You're right Paul. Here's my advice to the OP.
Jeff my solution is rather than taking drastic steps like deleting your email account, which Paul suggests, wait until the storm passes and carry on as normal.

Quote: Have considered `closing' the email account (i.e. start using a new email address) but this is my wife's main email address and would cause a bit of a headache to have change all the contacts

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: not doing anyone any favours