Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do I get rid of `bounced' or `faked bounced' emails

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: not doing anyone any favours
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314809 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 1:35 AM

No need to take drastic steps, just change the password.

Quote: Have considered `closing' the email account (i.e. start using a new email address) but this is my wife's main email address and would cause a bit of a headache to have change all the contacts

How long ago did you end your contract with virgin, from what I understand the email account is closed 90 days after ending the contract.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 27 Jan 2013 - 1:42 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jan 2013 - 1:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 9:08 AM

Quote: How long ago did you end your contract with virgin, from what I understand the email account is closed 90 days after ending the contract.

Paul - sorry for the delay in replying - we closed our VM account in 2009 when we moved to NI. Interesting that I also still have a VM email address (actually they're both `ntlworld' - one of 3 or 4 mailservers that were merged nto VM) and haven't had any problems.

I'm going away on holiday soon...so may wait until I get back to see if it has subsided and then try the suggestions Smile

thanks for everone's input

jeff

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 11:11 AM

Quote: I have no idea what your company told you Mike.

Perhaps it is you who should read my emails (I will not be so presumtive as to ask 'are you think or something' Wink )

I received emails from (weirdly enough) my own work email account. My company IT dept explained that my work account had not been hacked but that they had hacked someone else's account, found my email address in there and put that email address on the email they sent out making it look like it had come from my account.
In other words, exactly what Chris and I have been saying to you throughout this thread.

Are you saying that that cannot and does not happen?

You will see that I am not arguing against you, just giving an alternative explanation to the one you are insisting it the correct one.

Last Modified By mikehit at 27 Jan 2013 - 11:12 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hacking is a bit old hat these days, as a greater proportion of web users are more canny about passwords, so other methods are used.

For vital passwords which you rarely have to enter manually, such as for your router, you should use very long, complex and random passwords. I worked out that, even using the fastest password-hacking software, it would take longer than the age of the universe (13.7 billion years) to hack mine! smug-dark.jpg

Yes, I know............................ famous last words. Lol! Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314809 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 6:42 PM

Worth a read.

http://rt.com/news/spamming-big-business/

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: not doing anyone any favours