Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How do I know when VC is switched on on my new Tamron 24-70 sp?

esme81 e2
2 1
10 Dec 2012 6:55PM
Hi there, just received my Tamron 24-70 vc sp today and when I switch the VC on nothing happens. I've been taking test photos all day and the photos look quite blurry when there is movement which makes me think the VC is not switching on. Is there a visible/audible alert when you turn the VC on? Should the camera recognise that the VC is switched on and display it somewhere? I am using it with a Canon 650D and i've been reading there may be some conflict with this combination. Can anyone help please?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
10 Dec 2012 7:33PM
If you hold your ear to the lens when you turn it on can you hear a whirring? Some VCs are very quiet. VC is not a failsafe either. You still have to make sure you're holding the camera steady.
10 Dec 2012 7:35PM
You should be able to see through the viewfinder if VC is on or not. Whilst looking through the viewfinder, just point the camera at something and zoom in to 70mm, then press the shutter release half way so that autofocus engages. You should be able to see whether the image becomes steady. Compare results with VC on and VC off. If there's no difference, you may have a problem.
esme81 e2
2 1
10 Dec 2012 9:21PM
Thanks guys I can hear the very faint whirring of the VC!! I'm glad as I didn't want to have to send this lens back as I like it so much Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.