Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How do I make a homemade lightbox?

20 Mar 2013 6:24PM
I'm a relative newbie to macro but hope some of you will be able to give me some advice on making a homemade lightbox.

I have seen some great flower macro shots recently and have love the well lit images. The lighting seems more diffused and natural. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is a lightbox the way to go, rather than table lamps?

2. Having trawled the web, is there a good way to make a homemade version? (Budget is quite tight unfortunately Sad )

Many thanks for any advice.

Julie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Mar 2013 6:28PM
The key thing you're trying to do is diffuse the light, and make it even. Perspex works really well and the main thing is a sheet of perspex, then you can put any light behind that, daylight corrected fluorescent tubes work well. Failing that try a white bed sheet and light from behind.
20 Mar 2013 6:30PM
Many thanks Pete. I feel a trip to the fabric shop coming on! Wink
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
20 Mar 2013 6:36PM
I have a large plain (lightweight) picture frame with a piece of white shower curtain stretched across it - that works quite well too.....
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Mar 2013 6:41PM

Quote:large plain (lightweight) picture frame with a piece of white shower curtain stretched across it

Great idea!Grin
20 Mar 2013 7:02PM
there are some ideas in utube google
Baden e2
3 156 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 7:13PM
Some great ideas already Julie, try googling "lighting scrim" I have used similar method as cattyal, but instead of a shower curtain I used grease proof paper! Smile

Good Luck and looking forward to seeing to results Smile

Baden
20 Mar 2013 7:15PM
i made a lightbox out off plastic tubeing sheet over lights at the side seen on google
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Mar 2013 8:00PM
Light tents can be good as well, they come in all sizes.

http://www.stevesphotoshop.co.uk/photo_light_tents_cubes.html
redsnappa e2
12 2.0k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 8:09PM
HI Julie best place for home made photography projects is DIY Photography .Net
ikett e2
4 372 England
20 Mar 2013 8:14PM
Oh dear,
Quote:HI Julie best place for home made photography projects is DIY Photograhy .Net[/b]]www.diyphotography.net

link doesn't seem to work.
ikett e2
4 372 England
20 Mar 2013 8:41PM
Ah,

Quote:HI Julie best place for home made photography projects is DIY Photography .Net

that's better, Ta.
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 10:05PM
I made two light boxes out of a single Dell monitor box. Cut it diagonally to make two wedge shapes - then cut out a A2 hole in each one and just taped plain white paper over it. Not very portable, but fine for at home!
21 Mar 2013 11:32AM
12 from Amazon with different coloured backgrounds. I bought one for my college projects and does the job brilliantly. Just light it up from the outside and it diffuses the light perfectly.
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 11:54AM
Get a thin white piece of fabric, place it over your flash and make it so it comes out away from the front to make a dome shape, then put an elastic band over to hold it in place.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.