Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do I make a homemade lightbox?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JulieAsh
    JulieAsh  2 Scotland
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:24 PM

I'm a relative newbie to macro but hope some of you will be able to give me some advice on making a homemade lightbox.

I have seen some great flower macro shots recently and have love the well lit images. The lighting seems more diffused and natural. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is a lightbox the way to go, rather than table lamps?

2. Having trawled the web, is there a good way to make a homemade version? (Budget is quite tight unfortunately Sad )

Many thanks for any advice.

Julie

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:28 PM

The key thing you're trying to do is diffuse the light, and make it even. Perspex works really well and the main thing is a sheet of perspex, then you can put any light behind that, daylight corrected fluorescent tubes work well. Failing that try a white bed sheet and light from behind.

JulieAsh
    JulieAsh  2 Scotland
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:30 PM

Many thanks Pete. I feel a trip to the fabric shop coming on! Wink

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96032 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:36 PM

I have a large plain (lightweight) picture frame with a piece of white shower curtain stretched across it - that works quite well too.....

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:41 PM

Quote: large plain (lightweight) picture frame with a piece of white shower curtain stretched across it

Great idea!Grin

robthecamman
    20 Mar 2013 - 7:02 PM

there are some ideas in utube google

Baden
    Baden  2156 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 7:13 PM

Some great ideas already Julie, try googling "lighting scrim" I have used similar method as cattyal, but instead of a shower curtain I used grease proof paper! Smile

Good Luck and looking forward to seeing to results Smile

Baden

robthecamman
    20 Mar 2013 - 7:15 PM

i made a lightbox out off plastic tubeing sheet over lights at the side seen on google

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 8:00 PM

Light tents can be good as well, they come in all sizes.

http://www.stevesphotoshop.co.uk/photo_light_tents_cubes.html

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 8:09 PM

HI Julie best place for home made photography projects is DIY Photography .Net

Last Modified By redsnappa at 20 Mar 2013 - 8:11 PM
    ikett
    ikett  3340 forum posts England
    20 Mar 2013 - 8:14 PM

Oh dear,
    Quote: HI Julie best place for home made photography projects is DIY Photograhy .Net[/b]]www.diyphotography.net

link doesn't seem to work.

ikett
    ikett  3340 forum posts England
    20 Mar 2013 - 8:41 PM

Ah,

Quote: HI Julie best place for home made photography projects is DIY Photography .Net

that's better, Ta.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 10:05 PM

I made two light boxes out of a single Dell monitor box. Cut it diagonally to make two wedge shapes - then cut out a A2 hole in each one and just taped plain white paper over it. Not very portable, but fine for at home!

gjfereday
    gjfereday  246 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Mar 2013 - 11:32 AM

12 from Amazon with different coloured backgrounds. I bought one for my college projects and does the job brilliantly. Just light it up from the outside and it diffuses the light perfectly.

puertouk
    puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2013 - 11:54 AM

Get a thin white piece of fabric, place it over your flash and make it so it comes out away from the front to make a dome shape, then put an elastic band over to hold it in place.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.