Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do I turn into a pro photographer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AlexArt
AlexArt  857 forum posts
18 Sep 2006 - 5:50 PM

...I meant earning a living...I really like phptpgraphy, like all of you, guys please give me some hint!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Sep 2006 - 5:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2006 - 5:59 PM

Take photographs that people are willing to buy.
Simple really.
;o)

JohnHawthorne
18 Sep 2006 - 6:08 PM

Tut tut Boydo, not that simple. You need to then sell those photos. Wink

Quote: how do I turn into a pro photographer

You make it sound like some alien creature that you want to transmogrify yourself into!

AlexArt
AlexArt  857 forum posts
18 Sep 2006 - 6:16 PM

Quote: You make it sound like some alien creature that you want to transmogrify yourself into!

My point was that I want to do someting that I enjoy doing and also earn a living at the same time. Since I am not a pro photographer, I believe, there are, most probably, some pros and cons about it. I do understand that this is a very competeitive line of work.

AlexArt
AlexArt  857 forum posts
18 Sep 2006 - 6:18 PM

Quote: Take photographs that people are willing to buy.
Simple really.

I have seem many excellent pgotos posted here...are people wiiling to buy them all? Is it just about that Boyd?

JohnHawthorne
18 Sep 2006 - 6:22 PM

No, see my reply. More of it is marketing than you realise.

It might be better for you though to post a few pictures to get help with your photography so you can improve. Also putting some personal information in your profile about where you are with photography, what your interests are, what equipment you have, what experience you have, etc., will help people give much better advice. Your question is so vague people are not bothering to reply.

AlexArt
AlexArt  857 forum posts
18 Sep 2006 - 6:37 PM

Quote: Your question is so vague people are not bothering to reply.

Thank you John. I will Post some photos I have a dial up connection it is too slow to upload! Will get braodband in a week time!

I believe you are right waht you are saying.

I just bought a NikonD70S; Lenses: Nikor 18-70+Tamron 70-300. I used (sometime still use) to use minolta XD7 35 mm film SLR.

Mark_Readman
18 Sep 2006 - 6:41 PM

be prepared to work 7 days a week and up to 15 hours a day and live off cold beans

AlexArt
AlexArt  857 forum posts
18 Sep 2006 - 6:45 PM

Quote: Be prepared to work 7 days a week and up to 15 hours a day and live off cold beans

Can you say more, please! Is it that hard?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2006 - 6:52 PM

There are probaly less than 10% of all professional photographers who make more than 30K/year...

...and some who struggle to reach 15K.

Many come to hate photography...some forget why they liked it in the first place and a few actually grow to love it more.

and you're probably not ready yet.....but it can be worth it.

Nike55
Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Sep 2006 - 8:29 PM

Quote: You make it sound like some alien creature that you want to transmogrify yourself into!

What's wrong with being an alien??

Simon007
Simon007  8
18 Sep 2006 - 8:34 PM

Def. agree 7 days a week if you work for yourself. You can 'get a job' as a photographer or work for yourself or freelance. You will end up working long hours. I do, but I love it & it's all I ever wanted to do.

75% Marketing / 25% Photography if you're lucky!!!

AlexArt
AlexArt  857 forum posts
18 Sep 2006 - 8:36 PM

Quote: and you're probably not ready yet.....but it can be worth it.

Keith would tell me what do you mean that I am not ready yet? Please!

May be you have a valid point. But I have made up my mind I will endeavour to succeed! Buy many of your help!

zeon2001_uk
18 Sep 2006 - 8:37 PM

Hey thought I'd give you some encouragement Smile
As of February 2006 I earn 100% of my income from photography and its great! Basically I soon learnt that the pictures are almost irrelivant, what matters is getting yourself out there and getting yourself known to the people. Getting the customers is the hard bit, taking the photos is the easy bit.
I started off with a D70 and an 18-70mm. Unfortunately I went to a wedding and there were alot of people there heckling me because they had bigger cameras :-| Anyway got there in the end. Oh and one thing you should watch out for is the organising side of things! I had to do my own accounting and such like, it can get a bit confusing - have an accountant now though Smile

Anyway if you have an specific question post them on here Smile

Ric

Ps. I earn roughly 60,000 a year from photography.

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2006 - 8:37 PM

Go down to the crossroads and try to flag a ride Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.