Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

how do I uninstall internet explorer8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Kool_Kat
Kool_Kat e2 Member 8144 forum postsKool_Kat vcard United Kingdom
24 Mar 2011 - 5:31 PM

I am trying to uninstall ie8 in add& remove programs but there is not a button for uninstall can any one help please

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2011 - 5:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 5:36 PM

What operating system do you have. On some you cannot remove it.

Have you looked in the windows components section instead.

Last Modified By strawman at 24 Mar 2011 - 5:38 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 5:59 PM

If your running Windows 7, Chances are its built in......!!! Therefore no uninstall feature....!!!

So if you do not want to use it, Just ignore it and use whatever browser turns you on, So long as you elect the one of your choice as the default browser, The other/s should stay dormant....!!!

Or run IE9 over the top of it.........Job Done....Wink

Jestertheclown
24 Mar 2011 - 6:07 PM

You can't uninstall any version of IE. (except possibly IE9) as it is a feature of the OS and not an installation.
However each successive version is actually an update of the previous one and can be rolled back to that previous version using Windows "add/remove" programmes page.
You probably can't see it because the box at the top marked "include updates" is unchecked. Put a tick in there and you'll find IE8 amongst the updates.
For what it's worth, I thought IE8 was worse than IE7 which in turn I liked less than IE6 which I had rolled back to and refused to be budged for ages.
Alternatively, do as most other people do and migrate to Firefox. Their Firefox 4 has just been released, as in it's no longer a beta and it's far better that IE has ever been. In fact, it flies.
There's a thread running here.

Jester.

redsnappa
redsnappa  121916 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Mar 2011 - 6:32 PM

to uninstall ie8:
Go to control panel, add remove programs
at the top of the add remove programs window, click the show updated box.
Internet Explorer will now appear in the list of programs @ can be uninstalled.

Kool_Kat
26 Mar 2011 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for that still cant remove itSad

Jestertheclown
26 Mar 2011 - 10:45 AM

I seem to remember (and I could be wrong) that you'll need to first unistal any other M$ updates that have ben installed since you updated to IE8. I think I unistalled it from here pretty soon after I'd moved up to it so it was quite straightforward but it may be harder if you've had it on there for some time.
I'm not sure it will work but perhaps a systyem restore to a time before you installed it would do the trick?
The other updates you remove will re-install themselves whereas IE8 will ask you to do it manually. Then just don't do it.
In fact, I have my machine set so that no M$ updates are istalled until I tell them to.
Or, as I suggested above, ignore it and use something else. I only ever use IE to instal M$ updates and only then 'cos they don't seem to want download via Firefox or Chrome.

Jester.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 26 Mar 2011 - 10:46 AM
pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
26 Mar 2011 - 12:22 PM

think explorer is embedded with IE so you will have to live with it,

(stop explorer and the desktop goes mmm back to the command prompt? cant be all bad?)

what did it do to upset you? mine live's quietly in the old muckyswipe unused apps home (unused bin)

Jestertheclown
26 Mar 2011 - 1:51 PM

Quote: think explorer is embedded with IE so you will have to live with it,

It is. But you can, or at least, could get rid of the current version which doesn't seem to be working here.

I'm with you though; put the icon somewhere out of site and use something else.

User_Removed
27 Mar 2011 - 4:08 PM

In common with other Firefox users, I remove IE from my consciousness by consigning the desktop shortcut icon to the Recycle Bin. Doesn't uninstall the program but at least you don't see it any more!

At least, with Windows 7, we don't get Outlook Express pushed into our face any more.

The new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird are well worth exploring for anyone who does not yet use them.

Kool_Kat
3 Apr 2011 - 10:02 AM

I have finally got rid of IE8 to do it go to start run type in %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe gone forever now working on Firefox
Thanks to everyone for the advice Kat

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
7 Apr 2011 - 9:37 AM

was it worth the aggro?

as when the next update comes it will nag you!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2011 - 12:16 PM

I know when I wanted to uninstall CS4 I had to Deactivate it as it didn't appear on the Programme List to uninstall the easy way.

Go to the Help menu in E8 and choose Deactivate if you do have that option. Then you can remove the programme from your computer. I had to use cs5clean.html to uninstal CS4 but it might be different for E8. Check on the Adobe website.

Hope that helps.
Chris

Last Modified By SlowSong at 7 Apr 2011 - 12:16 PM
Simon_Palmer
7 Apr 2011 - 12:22 PM

Quote: You can't uninstall any version of IE. (except possibly IE9) as it is a feature of the OS and not an installation

Wrong!

You can uninstall IE

In Windows 7 goto Control Panel - Programs and Features - Click Turn Windows Features on or off from the left hand column and then untick IE version number.

In Windows XP goto Control Panel - Double Click zee Add Remove Programs - Click Add/Remove Windows Components from the left hand colum. Find IE and untick it again.

Microsoft aren't an evil empire ya know, Google hold that title nowadays Wink

Last Modified By Simon_Palmer at 7 Apr 2011 - 12:22 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2011 - 1:42 PM

I just wanted to say that CS4 didn't appear on my Add Remove Programs list when I tried to uninstal it which is why I had to deactivate it first then go through the other rigmarole.
I notice that Elements 9 does appear on my list so should be the same for E8 as Simon says above.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 7 Apr 2011 - 1:44 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.