Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How do you ?

Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
23 Aug 2012 4:11PM
How do you keep the Lamp Post upright whilst levelling the Horizon ?

1-007.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Aug 2012 4:22PM
This is distortion created by using a wider angle lens. Shoot from further away or with a less wide angle will resolve this. Or with shots already taken you can correct it with some image editing packages that have correction tools included.
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
23 Aug 2012 4:31PM
Thanks for your quick answer Pete. I do not have any correction tool available. Eric.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Aug 2012 4:33PM
What editing program do you use?
23 Aug 2012 4:52PM

Quote:This is distortion created by using a wider angle lens. Shoot from further away or with a less wide angle will resolve this. Or with shots already taken you can correct it with some image editing packages that have correction tools included.

Hmmm! Does it have nothing to do with the fact that the camera was not level in the first place, rather than pointing skyward?
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 7:04PM
You would have to use software and the easiest way would be to level the horizon then crop the lampost out of the image.
Stephen
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
23 Aug 2012 7:17PM
Pete, The Computer has Photoshop 7 on it. but I am not skilled at using it. Eric.
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
23 Aug 2012 7:27PM
2-007.jpg

puertouk, Stephen thank you for your suggestion. Eric.
Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 11:37PM
1-007.jpg

Select area right of lampost and use the transform skew or distort tool
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
24 Aug 2012 5:47AM
Steve , thanks for Info, I am not sure how to do it, but will try to find out on another Photo, This one was cut up by my change. Eric.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
24 Aug 2012 7:33AM

Quote:Steve , thanks for Info, I am not sure how to do it, but will try to find out on another Photo, This one was cut up by my change. Eric.

That's another very useful tip, Eric.
Always make a copy to work on, then you have the untouched original to go back to.Smile

Malc
francisg e2
10 703 1 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2012 5:04PM
Photoshop 7 has the tools to make the changes that you are needing. First click on layers and make a background copy. Next go to edit and from the drop down menu select Transform. Click that and you will get another drop down menu. from that you will need "Scew" This will put some lugs around the image. for this one select and drag the one on the bottom right-hand corner and drag until the horizon becomes level. The lamp standard will remain untouched. Having got the result you want next go to "Image" and select "Trim" from that menu. Click ok. Return to Layers and click the "Merge Layers" this will "Fasten down" the layered file.

It is a useful tool to play about with and comes in very handy when dealing with converging verticals. Try it. Remember any mistakes can be rectified by going to Edit and Clicking on "Undo........" or "Step back" this will cancell the last thing you did.
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
9 Sep 2012 6:59PM
Francisg. Thank you most sincerely for your above instructions, I will truly give it a try, time permitting. Eric.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
9 Sep 2012 7:41PM

Quote: The lamp standard will remain untouched.

Not quite.

The lamp standard remains vertical but the lamp part of it becomes more distorted.
francisg e2
10 703 1 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2012 11:31PM
In the event of that happening. A short tweak on the oposing lug will correct that .

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.