Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

how do you accept critique?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Virna
Virna  452 forum posts Ukraine
24 Aug 2010 - 7:21 PM

Some people accept critic or advice very harmfully. they can't stand any critical words about their work. And you just may be an enemy for them if you try to say something. are you the same or do you know such photographers? and is it advantage or disadvantage for one to be like that?
Think, firstly i"m a little bit nervous than smb criticize me, but later i understand that it was true and I need to know it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Aug 2010 - 7:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2010 - 7:39 PM

I'm happy to accept contructive critique, as I see it as a way forward. I do know some people who don't accept it and I think that is a disadvantage.

minicooper
24 Aug 2010 - 7:51 PM

I'm with whipseed as long its contructive I'm happy to accept it.

clicknimagine
24 Aug 2010 - 7:53 PM

critiquing other's images are really very helpful for both the parties to develop further, i do critique as well as i want critique, if you are interested you can critique on the images uploaded to the critique gallery or you can join the group tell it how it is, or you can critique on my images, and do not worry if you get some critique from the fellow members instead that will be more valuable to you...

Last Modified By clicknimagine at 24 Aug 2010 - 7:55 PM
miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2010 - 8:02 PM

Quote: accept contructive critique

The problem is that what is considered constructive by some isn't by others. This in conjunction with being "sensitive" about your work can make accepting critique difficult for some.

The comment about first taking critique harshly before recognising its worth is also true.

One model to use, is just accept all critique, take the good bits and ignore the rest, as well as try and look at things from the other persons perspective.

Taking a wider perspective there is an issue with the quality of judging where its possible that one judge can praise an image, and yet another judge can pick it to bits. There should not be such a wide disparity of view.

Virna
Virna  452 forum posts Ukraine
24 Aug 2010 - 8:08 PM

Quote:

The problem is that what is considered constructive by some isn't by others.

Agree! When you post your photos you hope receive constructive one. But if smb - out of this site - some ignorant person = try to teach you how to take photos - what to do with that???

Jestertheclown
24 Aug 2010 - 8:14 PM

Quote: I'm happy to accept contructive critique, as I see it as a way forward. I do know some people who don't accept it and I think that is a disadvantage.

Absolutely.

I'm perfectly happy for people to critique my work and I try to critigue others, helpfully, I hope.
It's true though that some members don't like to receive it and can respond quite unpleasantly. If you want genuine, honest critique, I recommend the critique gallery.
One of the problems with using the main gallery is that every time you upload an image, you are asking people to look at it and form an opinion. Sooner or later one of those viewers is going to post their opinion and they're not just going to say "Oooh! Cracking colour" or similar.
Simply by uploading we're inviting a response. If you really want a worthwhile one, as I've said, I recommend the critique gallery.

Jester.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2010 - 8:17 PM

Quote: some ignorant person = try to teach you how to take photos - what to do with that???

In some cases it will be given with good intent, in which the person is trying to offer advice, but really doesn't know what they are talking about. In other cases it will be deliberate criticism. Always be polite, but just ignore what they are saying, as it holds no value, and don't rise to taking offence.

Having said that "many toys have been thrown out of the pram" and may people have left this site from people who have made what they think is "constructive critique".

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2010 - 8:17 PM

Quote: The problem is that what is considered constructive by some isn't by others.

Agree! When you post your photos you hope receive constructive one. But if smb - out of this site - some ignorant person = try to teach you how to take photos - what to do with that???

Ignore it and move on, if there is one thing i have learned in life is that if someone is wrong 90% of the times there's still the 10% when he's right..learn to recognize this and learn from it...ignore the rest...

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2010 - 8:21 PM

You learn from experience who to listen to and who to ignore, politely Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014807 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2010 - 8:44 PM

When giving critique on an image, there is absolutely no excuse for making comments that offend the other person. If you don't know how to comment without being a bully, then learn, and when you've learnt how to become civilised, then continue commenting. Some people have no sense of compassion, and I don't accept this attitude of "I'm just telling it the way I see it." That's BS, there's no need to embarrass a person over a photograph, for crying out loud. IMO, people who say that's the way I am, and if you don't like it, lump it, are full of themselves, or they are missing something in their basic interaction skills, and need professional help.

clicknimagine
25 Aug 2010 - 2:52 AM

Taking a wider perspective there is an issue with the quality of judging where its possible that one judge can praise an image, and yet another judge can pick it to bits. There should not be such a wide disparity of view.

this is an irrelevant comment in reference to this forum, and i guess it may be indicated to me,

i do not know what to sayGrin, but i must say you are 100% wrong to this point, and you have no right to say unless you judge and realizeWink...

benlee
benlee  446 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2010 - 3:20 AM

In my opinion I always think you should try to be positive about a person's photograph when providing critique. The critique should be helpful and suggestive rather than informing the photographer they have done it all wrong - there is just no need. We are all here to share and learn not put each other down.

I also believe in asking questions and creating a dialogue between yourself and the photographer to try and understand why they took the photo as they did. After all there may have been limiting factors involved that you don't know about just from looking at the photo. A better understanding of how the photograph is produce will help provide a better critique.

Least that is how I would like someone to critique any photo of mine. If there is something they notice about my photo point it out, ask me about it and then provide a suggestion.

Davesumner
25 Aug 2010 - 9:01 AM

There is one point that really should be noted by anyone who posts or intends to post an image intot the critique gallery.

Providing critique isn't as easy at it might look and it is made especially difficult when the makers only description is "taken whilst walking my dog" or "shot whilst on holiday". This leaves them open to what the person providing the critique thinks is right rather than what actually is right. The maker needs to put as much information into the description as possible so that the person writing the critique can make a fair asessment of what they think is right and wrong and hopefully how to rectify it. Without that detailed description we are all just guessing and sooner or later someone will get offended by it.

DaVeS

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110268 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2010 - 9:10 AM

Critique can be given for many reasons but it falls into two main categories:

the positive - to help the person receiving it to improve,

the negative - to boost the ego of the person giving it at the expense of the recipient.

The former I welcome, the latter I ignore

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.