Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do YOU access websites from your mobile?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
22 Sep 2011 - 11:10 AM

There is alot of importance being put on mobile web and apps and we are also spending quite some time looking into mobile access for ePHOTOzine.

But, one key difference is Mobile Websites and Mobile Apps. Take facebook and twitter for instance, they both have an app you can install on your phone, but they also have a mobile version of the site you can access through your web browser.

So, the question is, how do YOU access websites like facebook and twitter from your mobile? Do you do it through the app or through your web browser? And why?

Just a bit of research Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Sep 2011 - 11:10 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

matmonty
matmonty  9119 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Sep 2011 - 11:15 AM

I use both, as I have two FB accounts I access the main account through the app and the other account through Opera mobile web browser. It saves me having to input the username every time.

Mat

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2011 - 11:19 AM

Facebook: Both app and web browser, mainly because I find the app is crap and doesn't always update when it should have despite pressing the reload button.
And also on the facebook app, when trying to view youtube video posted in facebook, it would need to load the web browser anyway.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2011 - 11:21 AM

I have an app for Facebook for my Nokia N8. But this only works on wifi. So if I want to access FB where there is no wifi, I use the Nokia web browser.

If you are considering changing the current mobile version of the EPZ site, which i must admit I haven't checked for a while, it's essential there is a 'forum recent activity page' which can be set as the landing page... as this is used by many members including me) as the default access page.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2011 - 11:54 AM

Facebook app and would definitely use an ePz app if one were available. Smile

I'm pretty sure the mobile web browser is just legacy stuff to support not so smart phones.

Ian

User_Removed
22 Sep 2011 - 12:03 PM

I use the Android app for the big sites. Websites that have a mobile version I use via the browser. Websites that don't have a mobile version and need to be constantly pinch-zoomed and panned I avoid. Don't just make an app for the sake of it, plenty of sites like The Guardian and BBC have very good mobile versions.

If you concentrate on a mobile version it will work on iPhone, Android, Nokia / Windows 8 and BlackBerry whereas if you go the app route some users will miss out unless you create apps for all the phone types.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2011 - 12:12 PM

I agree with Chris. Just make a decent mobile version of the site. IMO, Wikipedia is another example of an easy to use mobile version of the site.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2011 - 12:20 PM

Quote: Just make a decent mobile version of the site.

That would suite me fine and would be where I think the chaps should go first.
Only trouble is you need an App to allow uploading of images (which is a blooming daft restriction on these things IMHO).

Sparkleson
22 Sep 2011 - 12:23 PM

Actually with Facebook's app, they changed it and cheated.

The Facebook app itself (regardless of platform) is just a Facebook branded web browser. They created a website, separate from the standard and the mobile versions, and the app look at these instead. This makes it much easier for Facebook to roll out updates, without having to wait a month or so for Apple/Google/etc to approve the new app.
This also meant that the 'app' is consistent across all the platforms.

I'd probably skip the app and just go straight in with a mobile version of the website - In the case of EPZ, I'd have thought they'd too big a risk that Apple would reject the app anyway, due to some of the pictures that are available on EPZ, which means that any time spent on the app would be wasted.

MrGoatsmilk
22 Sep 2011 - 2:18 PM

I mainly use the app for Facebook on my Android, however as said the app does not do everything all the time I use my web browser when needed.

I use Epz most days on my mobile via the web browser supplied, as I can zoom into the main page and read it easily the browser rearranges the text so it wraps around the size I zoom in. I just find it a bit awkward to use the menus on Epz including the drop down option, not impossible just awkward.

I would find it useful to have a mobile site for the forums mainly with some easy buttons for recent activity, new posts and the like.

Stu

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
22 Sep 2011 - 2:28 PM

Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia, IMDB, YouTube, Google+, TripIt, all through Android apps.

Everything else, through my browser.

Big Bri
22 Sep 2011 - 2:31 PM

Quote: Actually with Facebook's app, they changed it and cheated.

The Facebook app itself (regardless of platform) is just a Facebook branded web browser. They created a website, separate from the standard and the mobile versions, and the app look at these instead. This makes it much easier for Facebook to roll out updates, without having to wait a month or so for Apple/Google/etc to approve the new app.
This also meant that the 'app' is consistent across all the platforms.

I don't believe that for a minute. Take a look at the Facebook app on an HP Touchpad, it's excellent and nothing like the 'droid version.

User_Removed
22 Sep 2011 - 4:15 PM

Quote: Actually with Facebook's app, they changed it and cheated

I was a bit skeptical about that claim but I can see how it would make sense for Facebook to do that and the HP would look different from the Android app because they'd access different mini-websites. How do you know about that Sparkleson? Why does the Facebook app update quite often on Android (and I have replace the old app with a new one) if Facebook can just change the website at their end?

Big Bri
22 Sep 2011 - 5:20 PM

The HP one is definitely a bespoke WebOS app

User_Removed
22 Sep 2011 - 7:13 PM

I'm reading and writing this via Safari on my iPod Touch with a glass of chilled White wine in my hand.
** sigh **

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.