Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do you carry your camera kit and day gear when walking?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    6 Aug 2007 - 12:00 PM

I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW which I find is a great bag for carrying around my gear (400D + Sigma 17-70mm + Sigma 70-300mm + Velbon Sherpa 600R Tripod + Cokin P Filter kit + Flashtrax XT + Kood Reflector + 1.4x Converter + Binoculars and all my various small accessories). The trouble is once all this lot is installed there's little room for any everyday essentials such as clothing, food and drinks (I do have the Lowepro Sliplok water bottle holder which helps).

When I go out for a day's hiking I'll probably only want the camera and lenses plus filter and tripod plus - depending on the time of year - a fleece and/or waterproof jacket and over trousers, sandwiches, water/thermos flask - all x 2 for me and the missus - plus maps, cell phone, etc.

I suspect I'm probably better getting a proper hiking rucksack but I wondered what others do and if anyone has any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Simon

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Aug 2007 - 12:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2007 - 12:07 PM

I recently bought the Orion Trekker because I am trying to travel a little lighter, so far no problems. I can fit the body with a lens attached, one more lens, flashgun, angle finder, cable release and head torch in the bottom. This leaves the top free for a lightweight jacket, poncho, food and maps. There are two small side pockets which will take batteries and spare cards.

Beware if you go for a full size rucksack that they can be extremely heavy, even before the gear is loaded. I have a Nature Trekker and it is probably as heavy unloaded as the Orion Trekker is when loaded.

The one downside of the Orion Trekker is that it has no waterproof cover, but the material doesn't do a bad job on its own.

HTH

Ian

edit - It won't take your tripod but I have found it much more comfortable to use a strap rather than add more weight to the rucksack.

Last Modified By digicammad at 6 Aug 2007 - 12:08 PM
    deviant
    deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2007 - 12:14 PM

Quote: How do you carry your camera kit and day gear when walking?

I put the camera and a wide angle lens in a small kangaroo like pouch I had sugically added to my stomach. The hiking gear I keep in a small Lowe Alpine bag.

But seriously... use a Lowepro phototrecker with a daypack on it. Carries everything. If travelling light I just use a Lowepro Slingshot 200AW.

dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108365 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2007 - 12:21 PM

I use the Lowepro Orion Trekker II which seems OK for most situations.
    It can be a little limited on space depending on what you decide you want to take with you.
    I can't complain for the price I paid for it, but I wouldn't say it is perfect for all situations.
    It does serve me well when when travelling by air as it is within the carry on baggage size limitations.

Doug

GPTek
    GPTek e2 Member 8434 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2007 - 1:07 PM

I use a Lowepro Rover AW II which is similar to the Orion Trekker, in that it has 2 compartments but has more space both in the base and in the upper compartment. It also has the tripod pocket and bungees on the back.

Geoff

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    6 Aug 2007 - 2:05 PM

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions. My wife has the Orion Trekker II and although it's useful for her general needs it doesn't have enough space in the upper compartment for what I'm looking for. However the Rover AW II and Rover Plus look promising and I'll check them out.

Simon

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2007 - 2:28 PM

Quote: How do you carry your camera kit and day gear when walking?

I don't, my husband and teenage son carry it for me Smile

Although being a woman, I have bags for different occasions, I've got a crumpler, ok for 1 camera & lens, a slingshot, carries a bit more and a big backpack if I want to take everything out.

digicammad
    6 Aug 2007 - 2:35 PM

... but Sarah, surely if you take everything out you would only need a very small bag?

Tongue

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2007 - 2:52 PM

Quote: The one downside of the Orion Trekker is that it has no waterproof cover, but the material doesn't do a bad job on its own.

Before the Loepro advertising department started to extol the virtues of the AW cover, they used to claim that their 'regular' material was fully rain proof.

I put this to the test at Le Mans 2001 - 24h of monsoon type rain. I was soaked through, while the Orion trekker on my back was completely dry inside. Case proved.

Last Modified By mattw at 6 Aug 2007 - 2:53 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    digicammad
    6 Aug 2007 - 2:54 PM

Cheers Matt

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.