Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do you change ISO on Nikon P510?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kevcampbell
    3 Nov 2012 - 4:22 PM

hi all, i have only owned the camera less than 24 hours, so i guess im still at the very beginning of the learning curve of this camera

i am starting to gradually understand about shutter speeds and aperture

i cant figure out how on earth to change iso sensitivity though, i have looked through the entire manual and looked at every part of the manual that had 'iso' in it

now when looking through the manual on adobe reader i came across

Quote: When ISO sensitivity (E45) is set to Auto (default setting) or Fixed range auto, ISO sensitivity is
    fixed at ISO 100.

now it seems i guess iso sensitivity is set to auto as that is the default setting and i cant find any way at all of changing the iso, now could anyone please explain to me what to do? i have fiddled with plenty of buttons like the fn and menu buttons on different modes like manual, shutter priority etc but none of the buttons i press has anything to do with iso, by the looks of it from my point of view anywaySad

please help, like i say i have looked through the entire manual, i guess that is not enough help for me *facepalm*

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Nov 2012 - 4:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Nov 2012 - 5:07 PM

Press the menu button and choose Shooting menu. 5th one down is ISO sensitivity. I don't have this camera by the way but the manual is online.

kevcampbell
    3 Nov 2012 - 5:23 PM

Whenever i press menu button there is no iso sensitivity option like you/the manual says.

Also noticed in manual mode i can not change exposure i think it is, what you press the right button on the dial for

thanks

User_Removed
    3 Nov 2012 - 5:35 PM

Like Gaucho says...

Here's the EPZ Review.

The ISO is changeable... Smile

One thing is for sure - you will need to be in 'Manual' mode! Wink

Welcome to 'EPZ' Kev! Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Nov 2012 - 5:41 PM
    kevcampbell
    3 Nov 2012 - 6:11 PM

Hello mike thanks for the nice welcomeSmile

Well good news is that it defiantly lets you change iso but unfortunately im still unable to find it, feels like im on a treasure hunt here hehe, i think it comes down to disabling auto iso somehow? but like i say earlier pressing menu button, fn button etc i cant find anything, its very confusing, my head is ready to melt haha

User_Removed
    3 Nov 2012 - 6:52 PM

Don't worry - we have ALL been there Kev!! The fundamental problem is that - without exception - ALL manufacturers Technical Manuals (and this includes camera 'User Manuals') are written by a breed of Human Being called 'Technical Authors' (one of my best friends was one of 'em!).

The usual answer is to get hold of a 'third party' manual that is written in 'English' that we can all understand!! (I have one for EACH of my mine!)

You could do worse that see if there is a manual for for your camera by a Company called 'Magic Lantern'. Try 'google' for 'non-manufacturers camera manuals' - or words of a similar 'ilk'

Good luck!! Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Nov 2012 - 6:53 PM
    KevSB
    KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Nov 2012 - 7:12 PM

If you are in programmed mode it may not alow you to change the iso, a pointed above , ensure mode us set to eather aperture ,shutter or manuel mode then check menus

kevcampbell
    3 Nov 2012 - 7:52 PM

oh man, does anyone want to come give me a slap on the wrist?Tongue

reason i am saying that is because the iso sensitivity menu was there all along...

basically... in the shooting menu when you go any lower than active d-lighting you go downwards onto a 2nd page i guess you could say and all i basically had to do the whole time was click the top of the part of the scroll wheel on the back of the camera to see all the other options, as all that was there before was 'save user settings', 'reset user settings', 'zoom memory', 'startup zoom position'. which i thought were the only options when i clicked the 'menu' button on the camera

oh man, i welcome an epic facepalm from everyone reading this!

i should also add a thank you to all of you who replied and read my posts, which i guess confused you, thanks to me being on another planet i guess

in other news though... after searching for an unofficial sort of manual i found this ebook for 7 whiteknightpress.com/wordpress/photographers-guide-to-the-nikon-coolpix-p510/

the book has very good reviews on amazon, so hopefully that will be the end of my questions on here so that i have more time to contribute better posts towards the forum in hehe

again... thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Jestertheclown

Your approach to using the manual sounds typical. I never read any of them either. I didn't think that anyone did.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Nov 2012 - 8:01 PM

Glad you got that sorted Smile Very frustrating to have a nice new toy and not be able to play with it. Anyway, I didn't welcome you on board so...welcome, and don't feel worried about asking questions. We all do that here.

User_Removed
    3 Nov 2012 - 8:18 PM

Quote: after searching for an unofficial sort of manual i found this ebook for 7 whiteknightpress.com/wordpress/photographers-guide-to-the-nikon-coolpix-p510/

the book has very good reviews on amazon, so hopefully that will be the end of my questions on here so that i have more time to contribute better posts towards the forum in hehe

Result!!!

Wink

janineatl
    janineatl  1 Canada
    27 Dec 2012 - 5:04 PM

adjusting the ISO is so easy...just set it to MANUAL then go to the MENU go to the wrench sign and click the FN option then select ISO sensitivity..go take a picture but first,press the FN button at the top of the camera then there you go you can adjust the ISO by 100,200,400,800,3200,or Hi 1...ENJOY!! Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.