Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do you get people voting/commenting on pics?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ronlee
ronlee  7 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2010 - 1:02 PM

Hi all,

I'd like to start off saying, please don't flame me! I did do a search but didn't find anything that relevant.

I've only been using EPZ on/off for a year or 2 (even though I joined ages ago) but I never know how to get more peopler viewing, voting, or commenting on my work.

Is it a matter of commenting on other peoples pics and hoping for the best that they will return the compliment or is it about making yourself known on the community by actively being on the forum?

Regards,
RL

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jun 2010 - 1:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 1:03 PM

Quote: I did do a search but didn't find anything that relevant.

Really? That's impossible.... LOL

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 1:06 PM

I would say you are not doing that badly really as far as votes go.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 1:07 PM

Quote: Is it a matter of commenting on other peoples pics and hoping for the best that they will return the compliment

Pretty much! Wink

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 1:22 PM

Absolutely no flame thrower involved.....Grin

The true answer is out and out bribery & corruption......Smile

Or as you rightly observed
Quote: Is it a matter of commenting on other peoples pics and hoping for the best that they will return the compliment

Its not so much about hoping, Its really about getting known by, As well as some interaction with other members.

Whatever, Its not the be all and end all, You should not judge your own work based on votes/comments, It should please you in the first instance, If others like it too that could be seen as a bonus......Wink

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 1:53 PM

My advice -
a) post images that set you apart from others and of the highest quality.
b) dont worry about clicks and comments
c) take note of constructive feedback from those comments you do get
d) offer constructive and well guided feedback on images that appeal to you in the gallery.

simples Smile

ronlee
ronlee  7 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2010 - 2:05 PM

Thanks guys.

I actually truly want constructive criticism so not just ones that say they like it etc. Just wanted to know I wasnt doing anything wrong, or if my pics arent the sort of thing that EPZ members really comment on.

I mainly shoot models, fashion and glamour but I tend to find that its not a big area on EPZ.

Last Modified By ronlee at 9 Jun 2010 - 2:11 PM
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 2:24 PM

on average you're doing better than me Sad

you have to be a little thick skinned here, but I think also you have to be critical of your own work.

I am now beginning to recognise what works well, and more importantly what makes a shot stand out. Because we always think we've taken a really good shot, it's only when we upload that we get an idea of what the image really looks like...mine always look different, better, rosier Smile on my own monitor Smile

I think it also helps to get a shot printed on real paper (is there any left) now and again....hanging a shot on a wall gives you a feel for whether it's good or not...but at the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder Smile

akh
akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 2:47 PM

Quote: I never know how to get more people viewing, voting, or commenting on my work.

Not wanting to be too cynical but the way to have more people vote or comment on your work is to do it for others. You have been a member since 2006 and seemed to have left only 27 comments in the gallery. In my experience here to really boost your votes you need to comment on on at least 35 to 40 images per day every day for a couple of years or so and you'll probably find that your results will improve. Just check the activity of some of the people who consistently get a high number of votes for what is often quite mediocre work.

I realise that these comments won't find favour with many but I know that when I first joined the site and had the time to comment on eg. 30 images a day I quite often gained an RC award, but recently since I stopped commenting so much and simple vote on images I really liked I'm lucky to reach double figures.

Tony

Jestertheclown

Upload mundane images of Pub signs.

DiegoDesigns
9 Jun 2010 - 3:09 PM

This is just an observation, but your gallery contains 21 active photos and on these you've received a total of 426 votes. You have left 27 active comments on other people's work, so I imagine if you want to get more attention, you may have to participate a little more - be more generous with your feedback/time etc. It might or might not work, time will tell... Dave

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 3:12 PM

Comments are dropping like flies. I recently added a note in my profile asking people not to vote for me just because I voted for them. My votes have more than halved and I have only had a couple of comments.....Could be the pic's are rubbish of course. Wink

User_Removed
9 Jun 2010 - 3:17 PM

Quote: Comments are dropping like flies. I recently added a note in my profile asking people not to vote for me just because I voted for them. My votes have more than halved and I have only had a couple of comments.....Could be the pic's are rubbish of course. Wink

That's pretty interesting, could it be said that 50% of votes recieved are completely worthless?

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 3:19 PM

Maybe. Sad

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2010 - 3:19 PM

Quote:
That's pretty interesting, could it be said that 50% of votes recieved are completely worthless?

Anytime you have a system which is reciprocal in nature; that assumption may well be true Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.