Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How do you organise your photographs ?

12 Jun 2013 5:25PM
I've discovered 11 albums so far and envelope upon envelope containing sleeves of negatives. Plus a box which has easily three hundred photos in and a tin with same plus random loose ones in with other stuff and it's not really organised.

Do you organise for yourself firstly or for other people to look at ? Personally I think there's nothing worse than Uncle George on the beach x32 followed by a blurred cat disappearing so although I only put what I consider the best photos in an album I mix them up so someone browsing through gets a complete mix.

I find that the pages in self adhesive photograph albums, over time, go a funny colour and also that the photos stick so firmly that it I daren't remove them. Do you usee them or not ?

I really like this for my new black and white ones and they are BOGOF too but it's self adhesive Sad
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/WHSmith-Large-Self-Adhesive-Vintage-Cameras-Photo-Album-25-Black-Leaves-200-6x4-Photos+Photo-Albums--Frames+35697039

I need a gadget to look at my negatives to sort them out.. or can I keep them in the sleeves and use a Maglite ?? Any suggestions please ?

Some people may say scan em and keep them on your computer.. well I use my laptop so much I have this tendency to fry them.. I've already tried CDs and making a DVD and if systems change then basically yer scuppered. I tried storing some on Evernote www.evernote.com and some on free storage space on VirginMedia but when I wanted to download I lost some both times.

So I'm thinking I need some tips here please !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

8 Jul 2013 6:40PM
Prinetd pics.... got a lot in envelopes some on albums.

On digital I would recommend an external hard drive and a file compressor.
My separation method follows this mentality :
origin type:
Film / digital
Colour / black and white
Life/still nature (contains landscape too).

I think it is hard to remember a picture based on dates, unless you can remember dates.
Most likely you would remember the theme and the colour...

Hope I helped a bit.
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
8 Jul 2013 7:59PM
Back in the olden days, I kept the negatives/trannies in sleeves in ring binders with a contact print for each sleeve and, from the mid-80s onward, an index on dBase.

Nowadays, when I use film, I scan the negatives immediately after processing and import the scans into my normal Lightroom workflow.
10 Jul 2013 8:04PM
Lightroom Workflow is a tad technical for me I think, I used to use bog standard PhotoShop. The contact sheet is a good idea I wish I had done that years ago !
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
10 Jul 2013 10:14PM

Quote:Lightroom Workflow is a tad technical for me I think,

I wonder how you would cope with developing film / prints ?

Far more technical than Lightroom Wink
11 Jul 2013 1:12AM
Thanks for the sarcasm. Personally I would no more develop my own films than I would do my own dry cleaning.
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
11 Jul 2013 9:14AM

Quote:Thanks for the sarcasm. Personally I would no more develop my own films than I would do my own dry cleaning.

Good analogy. The chemicals are equally noxious!
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2013 11:48AM
Most of my negs are filed in ring binders.
I wrote numbers on the sleeves for each roll and had a simple database with the number, date, key words, and film type.
A spreadsheet would do. Just helps keep track and find them when needed.
I found for myself, one binder per year was about right.
(But now one for the last 4 years I think)

I still have some prints in boxes, but when those negs are scanned, I expect to scrap most of the prints.
I don't expect I'll scan all negs.

I had the same problems with self adhesive albums, they are best avoided.

As suggested above, use an external usb drive for backup. I like always to have data in two places at least, more if it's important.
If the laptops really are dying at a ferocious rate, apart from avoiding that, store images on line as well as locally.
Or have more than one external drive. Or do everything. Paranoia is a good trait where data backups are concerned.
11 Jul 2013 8:43PM
I bought myself one of those fans that the laptop sits on which is working well so far but I think I should investigate an externa; hard drive, Anyone have any recommendations please ?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
12 Jul 2013 1:13AM
I don`t anymore, LR does it for me Smile
Consulo e2
10 815 10 Scotland
12 Jul 2013 12:10PM
My file organization is pretty terrible, tbh. I should really make an effort to clear things up.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.