Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How do you prevent dust from getting on your sensor?

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
18 Apr 2005 11:03AM
Sorry Geoff, didn't see this till now. The only one I know on here that uses that is Ian{digicammed} and he said he was happy with it. Maybe ask him. Cheers.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

edrhodes 9 540 12 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2005 11:04AM
Chris, yes i used Digi-Pad Sensor Cleaners on my D70, worked fine for me hope this helps.

Ed..
geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
18 Apr 2005 11:06AM
Thanks Denny
Will do
conrad 10 10.9k 116
18 Apr 2005 11:34AM
Well, thanks all, for the tips and insights. It sounds like this is going to be an issue for years to come, but there are, apparently, things you can do for prevention of dust (although nothing seems to work perfectly, when I read your posts) and there are remedies in case you do get dust.

I think I should be off to clean my camera bag now... Wink

Conrad
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
18 Apr 2005 11:37AM
As a postscript to the above - usually add this to sensor cleaning topics! Smile

I use SensorBrush on my Sigma which does use a dustshield (traps most but not all dust). A Canon technician was reported as saying that more dust entered chambers via the battery/flashcard bays than from the more obvious lens mount

I've collected various articles/info on cleaning:
Articles
Sensor Cleaning Article
Sensor Cleaning Article
Sensor Cleaning Article
News
SensorBrush Review
Methods
PecPad Cleaning
Suppliers
Eclipse and Pads from ePhoto
SensorBrush from VisibleDust
Digi-Pad

If anyone has more info sites/suppliers......
bpa 10 1.2k
18 Apr 2005 12:54PM
Duratorque, thanks for the link to the make up brush method, I'll give this method a go when the time comes. I do have a couple of spots of on the sensor, but nothing that shows on my general photography and clone anything else.

Stephen
PSILVERMAN 10 1.3k England
18 Apr 2005 2:10PM
I can't believe that more dust enters the camera through the memory card and battery compertments than through the changing of lenses.If that is the case then what you're saying is that prosumer/hybrids and compacts are better built than slr's.(Do you really believe that?)
I say this because I used to have a Nikon coolpix and a Sony Cybershot and I was forever changing cards and batteries.They had fixed zoom lenses on them and I had them for 5 years.
I never once got dust problems so how would you explain that?
I now have an SD 10 and have the occasional dust bunny.
Phil.
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
18 Apr 2005 2:18PM

Quote:Do you really believe that?

No, not really! It was reported on some site or other - could be an urban myth or, as likely, from a couple of years ago. But it could explain why some people get a lot of dust
18 Apr 2005 2:50PM
Dust is generally light and tends to become airborne and float about in the air currents.

For example the dust than can been seen floating, illuminated, in the rays of sunshine coming directly through the window pane.

Sand is relatively dense and generally requires a more gusty wind to make it airborne. In this situation abrasion to camera, lens and sensor is more likely to be a problem if the airborne sand reaches them!

jas
jonjeds 11 509
18 Apr 2005 3:29PM
There was a big thread about this ages ago on one of the US forums. Chuck Westfall did say in the thread that it was known that dust does enter throught routes other than the lens opening. I think from memory that he did specifically say the CF card door.

I have also read of a university department that sealed lenses onto several digi slr's thinking they would solve the dust problem - didn't work. They got dust and had to unseal them.

I also read that the AA filter on D70's and 20D's is closer to the actual sensor and so shows dust more readily than, say, a 10D or a 300D. Certainly I rarely get dust problems on my 10D.
PSILVERMAN 10 1.3k England
18 Apr 2005 11:08PM
It's a very interesting one this and a problem that's shared by most of us too.I wonder if the manufacturers will ever get it sorted.I think the closest yet is Olympus but in time who knows eh.I bet it's a case of watch this space but until then the brush companies/pad manufacturers and fluid makers are making a fortune.
Conspiracy Anyone??
Phil.
acbeat 9 14 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2005 3:04AM
i was told never to take a lens of the body with camera switched on. static sucks in fine particles of dust
Rende e2
7 37 4 Netherlands
17 May 2007 12:00PM
I recently got the idea of taking along a big transparent plastic bag. If there's a lot of wind and dust flying about I can change lenses inside the bag with the opening pointing away from the wind. It's all theory as yet; haven't tried it yet.
Rende
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
17 May 2007 12:18PM

Quote:If there's a lot of wind and dust flying about I can change lenses inside the bag

I tried that once,but came to the conclusion a couple of specks of dust was preferable to the risk of suffocation Smile
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
17 May 2007 12:19PM
PMSL. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.