Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How do you prevent dust from getting on your sensor?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

Good grief, another old thread revived!

We desperately need the return of the ability to sort search results in time order, sadly missing from V4.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 17 May 2007 - 12:39 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Rende
Rende e2 Member 737 forum postsRende vcard Netherlands4 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

Quote:

I didn't mean sticking my head in! Just hands, camera and lenses, like in the old days where you had this light-proof bag to put the camera in to fiddle with the film. Still, since I haven't tried it out yet, it might be a silly idea Wink
Rende

justin c
justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2007 - 1:30 PM

Quote: I didn't mean sticking my head in!

Ah right!! Could be where I was going wrong then. Smile

In fact I nearly forgot,I did also try your method of just putting the camera and lens inside the bag,I figured it may perhaps be a better method following my near death experience of getting in with the camera Smile

Anyway to cut a long story short, all appeared to be going well,my face didn't turn blue this time,which was a result,the lens changing went smoothly,even the sensor appeared relatively dust free,only trouble I found was the camera ended up full of c..p,I'm still finding it now,several months on.:-(

I'm still awaiting a response from Hovis as to why there packaging doesn't carry an appropriate warning,bloody company :-(.

I wouldn't be daft enough to make the same mistake twice though

I'm using Kingsmill (medium sliced) next time Smile

Last Modified By justin c at 17 May 2007 - 1:33 PM
samfurlong
17 May 2007 - 1:40 PM

You can't stop dust getting on your sensor - period!

You can minimize it by always using a body cap when there is no lens on the camera, not changing lenses in dusty environments etc..

Learn to clean your chip yourself or take it to a local camera repair place which offers a ccd cleaning service every few months when the dust becomes bad . Many will do it while you wait and only charge a tenner or so.

RipleyExile
17 May 2007 - 2:05 PM

Or you could never venture outside of a clean room. Your picture will start to get a bit samey after a while though.

Geoffphoto
17 May 2007 - 2:12 PM

Quote: never venture outside of a clean room

Some high street photographers make a living out of this Smile

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 17 May 2007 - 2:20 PM
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
17 May 2007 - 4:05 PM

Perhaps the reason why some people have more dust problems than others is down to the individual. After all, some seem more susceptible to getting static shocks off cars, or around the house. Maybe their own personal electrostatic field means they're walking around in a more dense dust cloud than the rest of us, and so are more likely to get some of it on the sensor.

Well it was just a thought... Wink

Doug

RipleyExile
17 May 2007 - 4:18 PM

Quote: Maybe their own personal electrostatic field means they're walking around in a more dense dust cloud than the rest of us

What? Like the dirty kid off Charlie Brown? No wonder you have dust problems. Smile

mdpontin
17 May 2007 - 4:19 PM

Me?! Who said I had dust problems? Now if you'd said cobwebs... Wink

RipleyExile
17 May 2007 - 4:29 PM

So it wasn't like, "I have a friend who has a problem..." then? Smile

mdpontin
17 May 2007 - 4:43 PM

LOL! No, I'm quite capable of buying my own sensor swabs, thank you! (Actually I use Giottos Rocket Air). Wink

Last Modified By mdpontin at 17 May 2007 - 4:44 PM
User_Removed
17 May 2007 - 8:20 PM

Quote: How do you prevent dust from getting on your sensor?

Don't buy a dSLR - use a film camera instead.

Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.