Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How do you shoot your sports?

LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2010 11:47PM
Do you prefer frame filling drama, or a bit of context? Or perhaps you have a completely different style that stands out from the crowd.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

danh 4 61 36 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2010 8:46AM
Depends on what I'm doing but I have to admit a preference for frame-filling, where the droplets of sweat are visible. If you can clearly see the emotion or effort on someone's face, it's what sports photography is all about, for me. That's probably why I've got no time for motorsports or aviation photography - it's just machines, not people.

Granted some panoramics are good, as are the contextual shots but I think you should get in close and stay there... and get in close with your length of lens, not just crop it down afterwards, having shot wide as insurance against missing something.
20 Aug 2010 11:14AM
WOULD YOU SHOOT IN SPORTS MODE AND AUTO FOCUSING FOR ACTION SHOTS ? I LIKE TAKING SHOTS OF FOOTBALL GAMES ?
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2010 7:27PM
Hi Chocolategirl,

In sports mode your camera will be making most of the decisions about the amount of light it uses, but biased towards a faster shutter speed. You would have more control over what you shoot by using the Camera's creative zone, shutter, aperture and manual.

For football you would ideally be looking for a shallow depth of field, setting something like F2.8, f4 ,f5.6 in aperture priority to blur the background and keeping the shutter speed at 1/500 or faster to freeze the player's motion. To get that combination you might have to increase your ISO settings.

For the auofocus, most people prefer to use just a single autofocus point (often the central one), so they have more control over where the camera is focusing.

Take a look at this article on EPZ for more suggestions on how to shoot football.
danh 4 61 36 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2010 8:38PM

Quote:WOULD YOU SHOOT IN SPORTS MODE AND AUTO FOCUSING FOR ACTION SHOTS ? I LIKE TAKING SHOTS OF FOOTBALL GAMES ?

That second one is a strange question - do you like football games or not?

Simple truth - you'll struggle to get good results in any area of photography if you don't understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO. 'Auto' modes will do you no favours.
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2010 7:02PM

Quote:Do you prefer frame filling drama, or a bit of context? Or perhaps you have a completely different style that stands out from the crowd.

for most of the time.... but every now and again a wide shot to see where you are is nice.

Grit and determination on the face is always a favorite shot for me.... as it shows the energy and commitment in the player.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.