Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How do you sync a SB-700 flash with a nikon D2X?

Im a newbie when it comes to flashes, i recently upgraded my flash from a metz to a nikon SB-700 problem is i cannot figure how to sync it to my camera so it goes off when the shutter is pressed, ive looked at the manual but its very confusing, just wondering if anyone would be able to help?

Thanks

Alice

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gnaeus 2 1 United States
28 Jan 2013 7:18PM
Alice, after turning on the SB-700 push the mode button until A TTL appears in the upper left corner of the rear control panel. Then Set the mode on the D2x to A aperture priority, S shutter priority or P programed auto. If you pick A then the camera will set the shutter to 1/60 and all will work well. The same will occur if you set the camera mode to P. Selecting S is a little more tricky and I would hold off on using that mode at this time. But just work on the TTL mode on the flash and the A or P on the camera. Good Luck.
Hi thanks for the help ive done all that but the flash still will not go off as the shutter does any ideas?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
28 Jan 2013 8:54PM
Check your camera's flash settings, I'm thinking it may be set at "Rear Curtain." Set it to normal, or whatever.
Thanks for all your help guys, but its still not working i even took it to my photography lecture and he had a look along with the media technician and neither could fathom it out. Still a bit clueless
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 5:46PM
This Basic Guide to the SB-700 may help

Make sure that the camera is set to Commander mode for off-camera use, and that you have set the same group and channel on both camera and flash
Hi guys just to let you know, i took my camera to the shop where i bought it, and in the end it was a piece of superglue covering one of the pins on the hot shoe that was the problem.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.