Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How does a picture tell a story?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
TonyCoridan
15 Mar 2013 - 9:04 AM

Hi fellow Artists,

It seems that I'm not getting quite right with my street shots and in general. That's the feedbacks I'm getting here.

I'd like to know:

1. how does a picture tell a story?

2. does a picture tell the same story to every viewer or is it a matter of perception/choice therefore subjective?

2. can't a portrait (a close up photo of a person facial expression) tell a story?

Regards,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2013 - 9:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 9:47 AM

if we knew that we'd all be famous photographers
some people will pick it up, others won't, different people may take a different narrative from it
yes it can

I'm not sure what you are worried about - you have some very good street photos in there.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72224 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 9:48 AM

The more an image is able to make the viewer wonder about what is happening within the image,
making their own interpretation of what is or has happened.
Below is an example where I have tried to create interest in this way:

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 9:50 AM

Quote: does a picture tell the same story to every viewer

No

TonyCoridan
15 Mar 2013 - 9:54 AM

Quote: The more an image is able to make the viewer wonder about what is happening within the image,
making their own interpretation of what is or has happened.
Below is an example where I have tried to create interest in this way:

Nice photo; beautiful girl!

Creating an interest, I think we all try and do that. I presumed this is a studio setting and you had full control in composing, lighting, framing and had all the time.

In photojournalism or street photography I don't have these luxury.

However, as much as interesting this composition is, I don't know what the story is!?

Thanks for showing an example of your fine artwork.

Regards,

Tony

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 9:56 AM

Quote: I don't know what the story is!?

I think the idea is you make up your own story.

paulcookphotography

I think if you have to ask the question(s), you'll never understand it

TonyCoridan
15 Mar 2013 - 10:26 AM

Quote: I think if you have to ask the question(s), you'll never understand it

Me? I won't understand it?

Well, I'm keen to learn; teach me.Smile

Thanks,

Tony

paulcookphotography

What i mean is if you have to ask what the story is to see the story in it (or formulate your own story/interpretation from it) then either the image has failed, or you do not have the artistic vision/imagination to see it.

Thats not something that can be taught.

If you turn it on the flip-side: When you read a book, do you picture the characters, events and scenes in your head, or do you require illustrations/need to see the film to visualise it?

TonyCoridan
15 Mar 2013 - 10:44 AM

Quote: What i mean is if you have to ask what the story is to see the story in it (or formulate your own story/interpretation from it) then either the image has failed, or you do not have the artistic vision/imagination to see it.

Thats not something that can be taught.

If you turn it on the flip-side: When you read a book, do you picture the characters, events and scenes in your head, or do you require illustrations/need to see the film to visualise it?

So, I may be lacking artistic ability.

Book (various types) described the topic.

Anyway, what story does that photo tell you? I presume you have artistic abilitySmile

And does it tell the same story to everyone who look at it?

Kindly,

Tony

paulcookphotography

She could have slipped on the steps and the hand is there to help her up.

She could have been captive in a tower and the hand belongs to her rescuer

She is about to become the victim of a vampire

It could be interpreted in many ways. None of these may be what was intended, but the image has been left open for you to decide[quote]What i mean is if you have to ask what the story is to see the story in it (or formulate your own story/interpretation from it) then either the image has failed, or you do not have the artistic vision/imagination to see it.

[quote]Book (various types) described the topic./quote]

You misunderstood what i meant. A book can describe a character, a scene or an event, but it is your imagination that puts the pictures in your mind. I could read the same book and my mind creates the images slightly different. Both may be different from what the author had in his/her mind, but the fact that it got your imagination running in such a way that you 'fleshed out' the scene means it worked. An artistic/creative image works the same way, except the image creates the story

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 11:54 AM

I think it her wedding night but she's not too keen on the groom. He's saying come on which is upsetting her. (you can tell what I've got on my mine)

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72224 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 11:58 AM

I think Paul has explained very well, both the way it is up to you as an individual, to interpret what you see in an image and the story within(if any),
and the book analogy where you create images in your mind to strengthen the story you are reading.

Quote: I presumed this is a studio setting and you had full control in composing, lighting, framing and had all the time.

The model was photographed in studio -
The background is another image I took, that I added to create a 'scene',
and the hand is mine, photographed when creating the composite image in post-production.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73309 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 11:59 AM

She's sniffing a pair of lacy knickers & he wants a go as well.
Well. it's AN interpretation!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 12:00 PM

Every picture tells a different story - depending on who is the viewer! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.