Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How does a picture tell a story?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Newdevonian
15 Mar 2013 - 12:26 PM

She has just blown her nose. He is saying "Let me have that, I'll wash it". I always was a romantic! Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2013 - 12:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46103 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 12:36 PM

witha cloth that flimsy, most of the stuff will have blown through and be runing down her dress. Maybe it is why the shot is framed so high?

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4209 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 12:37 PM

dogonbikevathi2-r-.jpg

This has amused and interested plenty of people. The "story" should be easy to understand.

mikehit
15 Mar 2013 - 12:59 PM

This is where, for me, the term 'tell a story' starts to get stretched. I see an amusing picture of a dog getting a ride on a moped - I can make a story if I wanted to, but the picture does not entice me to do so. In that regards, it is hard to say why the first picture does pull me in, but this one doesn't.

paulcookphotography

Quote: This is where, for me, the term 'tell a story' starts to get stretched. I see an amusing picture of a dog getting a ride on a moped - I can make a story if I wanted to, but the picture does not entice me to do so. In that regards, it is hard to say why the first picture does pull me in, but this one doesn't.

I agree with you there. Its neither artistically creating a story (at least not intentionally), nor is it telling the story of an event (as seen in some of the 'great' photojournalism images). Its more of a 'caption competition' image really

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4209 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 1:12 PM

Exactly, the OP is asking what makes street shots interesting.
You said it, amusing. The photo does not have great depth,it amuses and grabs interest and may even raise a question of two in the viewers mind.
I'm not claiming it's a great example of street photography or that it suggests anything very deep. (or even fine art)

Last Modified By iancrowson at 15 Mar 2013 - 1:15 PM
paulcookphotography

The OP was also asking how a picture can tell a story. There is a big difference between an interesting or amusing image and one that tells a story

iancrowson
15 Mar 2013 - 1:49 PM

I don't intend to debate with you how a pic tells a story, or what the word 'story' means is in relation to a picture.
I posted this image for Tony's, the OP benefit. If you were you read the critiques and comments on his last two posts in the CG it might help you understand. Various people are helping Tony with his photography. As you will have noticed he has a lot of questions to ask.

mikehit
15 Mar 2013 - 2:03 PM

To go back to the OP, I think there are two types of narratives that can draw you into a picture. To use 2 of you won pictures, Tony's:

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/tonycoridan-228635/gallery/photo/woman-v2-3263426...
This one is the type that really grabs me from its human interest - what is she looking for: Someone she wants to meet, or something she wants to avoid? It is the sort of split second that if I were walking towards her may have me turning round to see what she is looking at. If the photo had been taken half a second earlier or half a second later, it could well just be a picture of someone standing on a street corner but it is the expression that makes it.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/tonycoridan-228635/gallery/photo/the-will-to-surv...
This one is quite different. No 'narrative' in the sense of the first, but has me thinking about the person and the companionship he has with the dog. This one would probably survive the moment in many ways but maybe not as strongly.

The thing they both have in common is that the photo engenders the emotions that I may have experienced if I was there at the time, and for me it is that attachment that draws out a narrative. For that reason street photography is one of the hardest to 'get right' and as a result there are too many banal pictures or people walking down the road and people post as 'street photography'.

robthecamman
15 Mar 2013 - 2:40 PM

i had this explained to me by how the eye can be led into a picture ie such as a path or such Smile

monstersnowman
15 Mar 2013 - 3:24 PM

"it tells a story" .. is a phrase I have often thought over used, sometimes without any thought, as a cliche, but in reality some images are full of connotations, signifiers and all kinds of bits of information that give small but telling clues to a 'story' in the image. An aberrant reading (or misreading) of an image can often happen but if that still gives you pleasure from an image then I guess it doesnt matter, it may matter more to the photographer who spent time trying to tell a story which may be important to them but at the end of the day if you get a story in an image or just simply like it or if the photographer constructed a story around the image after taking it I guess it doesnt matter as long as the image works for you. Adverts can be a great source of connotations and signifiers as they often have been discussed and created to include as much information to the viewer about a product as possible in one single frame.

TonyCoridan
15 Mar 2013 - 5:22 PM

Quote: Every picture tells a different story - depending on who is the viewer! Wink

I totally agree with you!

Tony

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53509 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 5:24 PM

Telling a story in street photgraphy is hard as i think you need to make the viewer feel part of the scene and not just observign it from afar.

One user here with a very distinctive style is I think brilliant at often bringing energy and engagement to many of his photos http://www.ephotozine.com/user/youmightlikethis-5845
I see and make many of my own stories in their photo's.

TonyCoridan
15 Mar 2013 - 5:27 PM

Quote: Adverts can be a great source of connotations and signifiers as they often have been discussed and created to include as much information to the viewer about a product as possible in one single frame.

Great example!

Thanks,

Tony

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 7:51 PM

Simple, give it a naff title Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.