Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How does a picture tell a story?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
pablophotographer

here's two shots of mine, one is void of human beings, but it does carry a metaphor... (to my eyes at least, that's why I shot it) the second one is a portraiture of a man unknown to me until I decided to speak with him and take his picture. To me (only, again, lol) it has the elements that provide information about season (wooly hat), and his work, the fallen trees at the back, the chainsaw in his hands, the chopped parts at his feet and the sculpture next to him. Both got a limited number of votes.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/pablophotographer-162600/gallery/photo/cruelty---... http://www.ephotozine.com/user/pablophotographer-162600/gallery/photo/ross--the-...

explanations are found on the narratives and the comments

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2013 - 9:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 10:23 PM

Yes youmightlikethis has a distinctive style easily recognisable fro thumb nail , I too find most of his images engaging. He has that something most us don't.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 1:32 AM

Like this, just an example.

http://mukto-mona.net/Articles/kevin_carter/sudan_child.htm

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Mar 2013 - 1:34 AM
779HOB
779HOB  21019 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 - 7:00 AM

This is by one of my favourite photographers Tom Stoddart. My first thoughts about this photo where very different from what the story behind it is. Mine were very basic. It's an image, for me anyway, that you look at and see the obvious which is powerful. But then there's a kick in the guts to it when you read the story. So I am not sure a picture can ever tell the whole story.

tom-stoddart.jpg

The rest of the images from Tom Stoddart's book iWitness are here along with the description of this image - LINK to photos

Last Modified By 779HOB at 16 Mar 2013 - 7:02 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 7:15 AM

Generally pictures like this are part of a set and part of a written story, but the pictures themselves also work on many levels on there own.

779HOB
779HOB  21019 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 - 7:30 AM

That's true Paul but this one even in the set doesn't begin to tell the story until you read what's actually happening. So even the overall text that goes with the set doesn't tell you the story of this image. That's because the basic first impressions of this image fit with the overall story. In fact most if not all of the images in his book have more to them than the first impressions you as the viewer gets. The words are massively important in gaining a full understanding of the images.

pablophotographer

I remember reading an interview of his, regarding this picture. The boy got nothing at the end...

magic_rainbow
30 Mar 2013 - 6:18 PM

a good portrait can definitely tell a story..
just think of steve mccurry's work...

Marta

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 30 Mar 2013 - 7:08 PM
Paul Morgan
30 Mar 2013 - 6:24 PM

Unlike studio portraits of children.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.