Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How does a picture tell a story?

pablophotographer 3 496 187
15 Mar 2013 9:28PM
here's two shots of mine, one is void of human beings, but it does carry a metaphor... (to my eyes at least, that's why I shot it) the second one is a portraiture of a man unknown to me until I decided to speak with him and take his picture. To me (only, again, lol) it has the elements that provide information about season (wooly hat), and his work, the fallen trees at the back, the chainsaw in his hands, the chopped parts at his feet and the sculpture next to him. Both got a limited number of votes.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/pablophotographer-162600/gallery/photo/cruelty----19523100
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/pablophotographer-162600/gallery/photo/ross--the-chainsaw-carver-22116729

explanations are found on the narratives and the comments

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 10:23PM
Yes youmightlikethis has a distinctive style easily recognisable fro thumb nail , I too find most of his images engaging. He has that something most us don't.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Mar 2013 1:32AM
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 7:00AM
This is by one of my favourite photographers Tom Stoddart. My first thoughts about this photo where very different from what the story behind it is. Mine were very basic. It's an image, for me anyway, that you look at and see the obvious which is powerful. But then there's a kick in the guts to it when you read the story. So I am not sure a picture can ever tell the whole story.

tom-stoddart.jpg

The rest of the images from Tom Stoddart's book iWitness are here along with the description of this image - LINK to photos
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Mar 2013 7:15AM
Generally pictures like this are part of a set and part of a written story, but the pictures themselves also work on many levels on there own.
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 7:30AM
That's true Paul but this one even in the set doesn't begin to tell the story until you read what's actually happening. So even the overall text that goes with the set doesn't tell you the story of this image. That's because the basic first impressions of this image fit with the overall story. In fact most if not all of the images in his book have more to them than the first impressions you as the viewer gets. The words are massively important in gaining a full understanding of the images.
pablophotographer 3 496 187
16 Mar 2013 4:10PM
I remember reading an interview of his, regarding this picture. The boy got nothing at the end...
30 Mar 2013 6:18PM
a good portrait can definitely tell a story..
just think of steve mccurry's work...

Marta
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Mar 2013 6:24PM
Unlike studio portraits of children.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.