Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How Far Do You Go?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kinfatric
kinfatric  10550 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2006 - 11:38 AM

How far do you travel to take your photo's? my latest round was 190 miles, generally I'm aware that professionals will travel much further but mostly my question is aimed at the enthusiast, just how keen are you? how much time do you devote to it? do you find its taking over?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Mar 2006 - 11:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  1027115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2006 - 11:43 AM

Well, I'm over from Switzerland. Ostensibly, I'm visiting my mother but the fact that I timed my visit to coincide with a wide tidal range on the Dorset Coast and I'm heading out to Lulworth at dawn tomorrow speaks for itself....

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2006 - 11:49 AM

Most of mine are taken within walking distance of my home (don't own a car) - I'm covering more ground lately though and my 'walks' are turning into 'hikes' as I push out onto the downs.

Ceri

kinfatric
4 Mar 2006 - 11:49 AM

thats good Julian I and many others will look forward to viewing the productions of tomorrow Smilebut aren't you considering getting a digital if nothing less to try the scenes before committing to film?

gary900r
gary900r  10474 forum posts England
4 Mar 2006 - 11:51 AM

Yesterday leave home 5-30 to WHF Kent Arrive home 20-30 approx 400 round trip and 6 hrs shooting time.

Gary.

Although I would go there just to see the cats and leave the cameras at home.

kinfatric
4 Mar 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hi Ceri thats what I mean about being keen I've just purchased hundreds of pounds worth of proper outdoor gear and navigation stuff so I can visit more remote areas

kinfatric
4 Mar 2006 - 11:54 AM

thats enthusiasm for you then Gary I hope you got results Smile

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2006 - 11:56 AM

I've a sighting compass, a 'landranger' and a variety of hats Smile

I do my walks incrementally tho, going a little bit further every time, or joining one route to another - did around 15 miles on one last weekend and took three proper pics, lots of shots on the 'notebook' tho.

I'm not that hung up on 'golden hour' shooting tho so most of my expeditions allow for hearty breakfast.

Ceri

UserRemoved
4 Mar 2006 - 12:07 PM

Have been known to travel a fair distance tho' lately been combining hiking with pic taking so only as far as the Beacons. Arrive for sunrise and then see how the day progresses. Last weekend only to near the top of the ridge before common sense cut in and we 'about turned'!

Helped by having all the gear for virtually any weather, I'll admit. Emphasis on walking recently - to get fit for my NZ trek.

Generally, travel only as far as I need to. Could be a few feet for macros, a couple of miles for wildlife and city views, or a few tens of miles for landscapes.

kinfatric
4 Mar 2006 - 12:14 PM

I think everyone who goes walking should have a camera with them as the opportunities that occur are always there, I'm doing more of this walking myself. I hope NZ holds all you expect from it and I'm sure it will Mark

benedict
benedict  1026 forum posts
4 Mar 2006 - 12:16 PM

How far do I 'travel' to take photos? My photo destinations are about as far away from home as I get during a 45 min walk with the dog =)

joolsb
joolsb  1027115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2006 - 12:21 PM

Quote: Thats good Julian I and many others will look forward to viewing the productions of tomorrow Smilebut aren't you considering getting a digital if nothing less to try the scenes before committing to film?

'Take thy foul temptations of Satan and be gone!' ;o)

Digital???? I'm actively considering moving to large format so my 645 camera will then be used to check out new locations before bringing out the heavy artillery.... Wink

UserRemoved
4 Mar 2006 - 12:23 PM

Thanks! Never been to NZ so really looking forward to it - preceded by a fantastic 4 weeks in Oz (which'll get me very unfit, judging from where we're staying and eating!!!)

Great thing about combining walking/pic taking is that if conditions aren't that great for photos, you get a good walk in! Starting early just maximises the opportunities!

I've done similar to Ceri - out all day in the snow and hardly taken a shot. But never regretted!

kinfatric
4 Mar 2006 - 12:25 PM

Smile at benedict and to Julian I'm actually impressed Smile

jimbo_t
jimbo_t  11959 forum posts England
4 Mar 2006 - 12:26 PM

Welwyn Garden City to the Norfolk Broads to Cromer to WGC again. God knows how many miles but worth it!
Jim

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.