Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How far will they go?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2007 - 2:23 PM

Quote: You can never trust ANY government completely.

And you certainly can't trust those who govern the government (mostly unelected but very powerful and wealthy).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2007 - 2:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graywolf
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Aug 2007 - 3:59 PM

Quote: I believe that apathy is a serious problem in this country.

A few years ago I had a holiday in Greece. It was just before their general election. I have never seen such a fever of excitement. You would see convoys of literally tens of coaches going to rallies. with flags waving, banners, people singing and shouting. This was in about 1989. i was absolutely gobsmacked, until I remembered that it was not that long since Greece had been a military dictatorship.

We are so fortunate in this country that we have become complacent, and that complacency is liable to be our own undoing. How many times did you hear people say during the Balkan disruption a few years ago,
"Oh yes, but it could never happen here"

well may be not exactly that but it does not pay to be complacent about politics.

I'm sure some historians will correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Hitler voted in democratically?

Be afraid...be very afraid.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102239 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2007 - 4:42 PM

Quote: I'm sure some historians will correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Hitler voted in democratically?

Yes, albeit with the help of a bit of propaganda - we call it spin nowadays.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2007 - 4:49 PM

Quote: i was absolutely gobsmacked, until I remembered that it was not that long since Greece had been a military dictatorship.

And remember those snaking lines of people waiting to vote at the end of apartheid in 1994 .. people travelled for hundreds of miles to stand in line.

When politics and politicians make people matter, people pay attention. Once they become disillusioned and separated from what should be an accountable democratic leadership, people begin not to bother. And that's what an unaccountable, dishonest government wants of course ...

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 6 Aug 2007 - 4:51 PM
tepot
tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Aug 2007 - 5:30 PM

Quote: I'm sure some historians will correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Hitler voted in democratically?

bush wasn't in 2000 and the same type of situation is occuring so does it really matter?

remember that song 'everybody wants to rule the world'?

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2007 - 6:07 PM

Initially, yes. But he later seized autocratic powers.

Another song is: "I don't want to light a flame in your heart, I just want to set the world on fire". (Parody of a Vera Lynne song popular during the war WII) Smile

Last Modified By Just Jas at 6 Aug 2007 - 6:10 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.