Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How i can get money for equipment!

dbell499 2 1 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2014 2:58PM
Hi guys, im 19 years old and wanting to be a photographer mostly in landscapes and wildlife. i dont have the money to upgrade my camera etc to have more fps, iso, etc. but how can i get money from my images say of a bird, how can i get sponsers or anything that would help build me up for the future.

any advice would be much apretiated

thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
26 Mar 2014 3:15PM
Shoot mainly landscapes and you do long exposures and low ISO - negating the need for high ISO and high FPS

I've never made money from landscapes - maybe 1000 over 10 years, if that. Probably less...
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
26 Mar 2014 3:17PM
Think outside the box.

Consider ways to earn money that are not photography related. You can always work in something to just earn the money which you can then use to upgrade your equipment and pay for tuition to increase your capabilities.

You'll find things open up a lot more when you've got some skills to show rather than just a dream (dreams are good but if you've got a proof that you're serious and a display of your determination and skills you'll have a massively better chance than otherwise).

Also, big lesson here, don't get too focused on what your camera can't do. Focus on what it CAN do. Because you'll find that otherwise what happens is that you'll end up so focused on what you can't that what you can flies right past and you miss it entirely. A 1000D might not be top of the range new, but its still a great bit of camera gear. Used right it can get some great shots (heck one of my best shots is still taken with a 400D which is honestly not much further from the 1000D you have ).
col.campbell 11 818 4 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2014 3:53PM
As a complete beginner I once discussed fps with the guy who ran/ organised the local camera club. Rather than hankering after ever-higher frame rates, try to perfect the art of timing your shots just right, he said.

For instance, with an action-freezing shutter speed of 1/1000 and a frame rate of 10 fps you can capture 10 thousandths of a second, but what about the other 990?

So don't worry about it, just go out and enjoy using it.
26 Mar 2014 3:59PM
Try selling some of your existing work online on canvas or on stock photo sites. When it comes to stock photo sites, you need to be more commercially aware of what type of images might sell. People browsing stock photos sites are usually looking for photos to put on websites, banners or advertisements. Find online freelance job boards where people are looking for photographers to take photos. It doesn't always mean you need to be on location, sometimes these people are looking for photos of certain subjects (like a lighthouse).

That's only a couple of ways to start trying to make money. Often times, alot of work for little gain.

To get sponsorship and 'make it big', you should concentrate on improving your skills, not your equipment, and building an amazing portfolio to showcase.
Nickscape 8 704 9 England
26 Mar 2014 7:09PM
Not a lot of money to be made from Landscapes unless you are a famous name, but there is some business if you manage to establish yourself a little and offer a good product, most landscapers are now going down the tuition route and combining this with other ventures.

Some people do well out of craft fairs but this is normally people who have plenty of money to start with to afford to buy plenty of stock.

You really need to think outside the box and work out what you can offer that is different to every other guy with a website, in my case it seems to be editing/marketing work rather than landscape photography but this means the landscapes can remain as more of hobby.

To do well you really need to be good at business rather than photography, the amount of people who seem to be doing well out of terrible landscapes continues to amaze me.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Mar 2014 8:15PM
Tell everyone its art Smile
thewilliam 6 4.8k
26 Mar 2014 11:27PM
Study the work of the great photographers from the past and learn how they created world-class images with equipment and materials that would be dismissed as primitive these days.

Why not a pinhole camera? Or a Brownie Box? Can't get much cheaper and yet they're capable of creating "art" in capable hands.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Mar 2014 11:52PM
Everyone's a photographer now! You need to find a niche in the market which nobody (or few people) have filled.

By all means do landscape and wildlife for fun. But it's a swamped market.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
28 Mar 2014 11:24AM
who is the market for landscape and wildlife ?

none of my clients have ever said "ade, have you got any tiger shots....." or "could just do with a nice photo of the dales"

so they're not the market... though
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
28 Mar 2014 12:18PM
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....chances are it's a duck.

Like others have said, you have to be a salesman as much as a photographer and a quick look at your Facebook page says 'young lad willing to give it a go on the cheap' and not 'professional photographer capable of delivering the goods. '

Your Pink tribute act poster, for instance, shouldn't be about how pleased you were that she liked one of your photos but more about how you nailed another job.

For now, and don't take this the wrong way....get a job, part time or full time and save your pennies for equipment and pick up e odd job to gain experience. I would say that at the moment, you're not ready from a sales or technical side to make a living from photography and forget sponsorship - there's not much of it around and none until people know your name.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.