Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How is it?

26 Jan 2013 7:51PM
http://alexslavenphotography.weebly.com/

I created this today trying to find, nice and easy manageable web services. This is the one I like so far, I will be buying a domain name so the "weebly.com" will be gone.

I am looking for the positives and negatives of the website. All comments are appreciated I as here because all my friends say " fantastic, that's amazing" < that doesn't help me Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
26 Jan 2013 8:34PM
Hello Alex

I had a look at your site because I too use Weebly and I like to see what others have done with it. Clearly it is still early days with your site but you are off to a promising start.

From my point of view:

Positives - Uncomplicated and easy to navigate with some interesting images, but:-

Negatives - sort out (i.e. remove) the apostrophes on the home page or the EPZ grammar police will come-a-callin'. "Pictures" and "Designs" are just plurals so don't need apostrophes.

I also feel the introductory text on the home page rambles a bit. I really don't think all the plaudits for staff and friends should be so prominent. By all means say thanks to them but somewhere less up-front such as a blog. Instead, you could consider using the home page to give brief details of what the visitor may find in your site. For example, explain a bit about your photographic aims and influences. Alternatively, give details of the photographic themes contained within your portfolio and why these are important to you.

That last point brings me to another. Your images look like they have been arranged on the pages utterly randomly. There seems little cohesion that I can see. Images of buildings, animals and performers sit side-by-side yet with no obvious connection or inter-relationship. Consider grouping the images in a way that helps the visitor understand your style. At the moment it is just a jumble. Captions may also help the visitor understand what it is you are trying to achieve.

Sorry about this but there's more. I'm not sure what you means by "Design's (sic) & Edits". What is different about this that sets it apart from "Pictures"? Explain it to the visitor so they know and understand more about what you are trying to show them.

I would certainly like to see how your site develops so keep working on it. I hope the above helps.

Ewan
26 Jan 2013 8:59PM
Thank you for the feedback and information, I am extremely new to Weebly so I am still working out the features I don't know how to change the layout of the pictures I was hoping to be able to separate them with tabs or colums but still working that out.

I named it designs & edits because I also do modelling structures ( Like architectural designs ) I again had hoped to separate them with columns but going to have to make a different page for that aswell.

To be honest the homepage I was Just going to leave blank, because I have no clue on how to word or create a respectable about me or welcome message, without rambling Smile I struggle with that.

With the information you have given me either tonight, or tomorrow I will try to improve and change the areas you have pointed out to me.

Thanks,

Alex.
26 Jan 2013 9:19PM
Hi again Alex.

The easiest way to arrange your images would just be to create a named page for each style or theme. For example, you could have pages entitled, "Wildlife", "Architecture" and "Theatrical Performers" with all your images placed in the appropriate page. Ok, not very creative but at least it's a start.

The "Multiple Columns" Element is really useful for arranging images. Once you have a multiple column element on page you can expand the number of columns and place other elements (text, pictures, buttons, etc) inside it. That way you can achieve the look you want. Have a play around. It's really quite easy.

Keep working on it. You will become expert quite quickly.

Ewan
27 Jan 2013 7:35PM
Ewan,

I have put work, into the areas you have suggested and also tried to arrange the pictures into section's.

If you would be kind enough to have another glance and see if that is more of, what you were talking about I would greatly appreciate it.

-Alex
27 Jan 2013 9:34PM
Hi Alex,

I did have a look earlier and saw that you had done some more work. You are definitely moving in the right direction with your images now arranged into thematic groupings. I know your site is still a work in progress but I still feel you need to add some further information to help the visitor understand your work. It needn't be too much, just some background on issues such as (and these are just examples) - the inspiration for the shots; location details; event details; dates, etc. One way is to use the caption function to provide this info. Hover your mouse over one of your images and some options for that image should appear - one is to add captions. You could also consider adding some text at the top of each page just to provide some additional info that may apply to all the images on that page to save you repeating it for each image.

Keep working on it. You will learn more and more about how to get the best from Weebly as you experiment with it. I am happy to help so I'll keep reviewing your site if that's OK with you.

One final thing:- Your "Contact Us" should really be a "Contact Me"
iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 5:15PM
I like it, easy to use and above all interesting.
Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.