Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How long does a DSLR last on average?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

laura16
laura16  10605 forum posts
19 Jan 2013 - 4:53 PM

I have a 9 year old 20D which has been well used but still going strong. Wondering now whether it's worth buying a new lens so I don't have to carry 2 with me or whether to just wait until it breaks and buy a smaller bridge type camera! Is there a finite number of images or is it just impossible to guess?? Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jan 2013 - 4:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KNS
KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 5:01 PM

DSLR cameras have a rated value for their shutter boxes, but it is just a general guide. My D300s Nikon is rated at 150,000 shots - it has exceeded 200,000 so far, and show no sign of stopping just yet Smile I've seen evidence of a D2h (another Nikon) with 1 million shots on it.....

In short there is no definitive answer to your question Smile

User_Removed
19 Jan 2013 - 5:23 PM

I agree totally with Kevin and Seri. There is no definitive answer to your question as there are so many differing parameters involved.

It was a few years ago now I must admit but, I was at Marwell Zoo with my trusty Nikon 70 (so not THAT long ago Wink ) and I saw a gentleman taking pictures with a Sony Mavica. 1Mpx sensor (yes - one megapixal) and we got chatting. Turns out he was a very well-known and highly regarded writer/illustrator of wildlife bird books (can't remember his name to save my life) but, the point being, he saw no need to change to something newer because a) he knew how it worked b) he understood it limitations and c) it delivered what he needed for his books. I wouldn't mind betting that he STILL uses it!!

AlexandraSD
19 Jan 2013 - 5:24 PM

I have used a 350D since 2005, my one broke in 2009 after about 100,000 shots or thereabouts, my father then gave me his 350D which was bought in 2006, and it still works now, i think i may have taken at least 80,000 with the second body, but there is definitely no way to tell how many more images it would fire off before refusing to fire off any more.

Like yourself, i wondered whether it was worth buying a new camera now or wait until it stops working, well the latter is horrible, been there, done it! Being without a camera for one day was torture enough for me to splash out on a new camera, and weirdly i went for a bridge camera for a few reasons. Mighty glad i did too, treat yourself Wink

laura16
laura16  10605 forum posts
20 Jan 2013 - 3:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, I thought that I'd read somewhere years ago something regarding the amount of times the shutter will open or the sensor would record but it looks like there isn't any real way to tell. I'd just feel a bit peeved if I bought a new lens and then it packed in! Still thinking maybe a smaller, or more to the point, lighter camera might be the way to go though! With regards to the bridge camera, AlexandraSD, what did you get, and do you find it compares well with a DSLR? Smile

justin c
justin c  104518 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 4:07 PM

Quote: I thought that I'd read somewhere years ago something regarding the amount of times the shutter will open

Cameras have an approximate shutter life expectancy, i.e. how many actuations before failure. But it's only a very rough guideline. For instance, a camera rated at 150,000 actuations could fail the first time it's used (very unlucky), or it could go on for many, many times that amount.

Last Modified By justin c at 20 Jan 2013 - 4:08 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

Would be good to add to this forum anyone with cameras who have gone way over their expected life span regarding shutter count.
We could build up a useful database of reliable cameras etc

justin c
20 Jan 2013 - 4:33 PM

I'll start the ball rolling. My Canon 10D had just over 125,000 actuations and during that time I never had a single error message, corrupt file or any other problem whatsoever. The camera was still 100% reliable and not far off mint condition, apart from the obvious bits of dust (and not on the sensor, I hasten to add, which was always kept nice and clean Smile).

No idea on shutter count but my 20D and 5D proved totally reliable also. Only issue was the poorly made battery grip for the 20D which would sometimes loose contact, (a known problem). The battery grip for the 10D was a different kettle of fish, and totally reliable and well made, as was the one on the 5D.

Last Modified By justin c at 20 Jan 2013 - 4:37 PM
KNS
KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 4:35 PM

Unfortunately I doubt that it would prove to be a reliable statistic......too many variables, from manufacturing error through to user abuse/accidental drops and so on....

AlexandraSD
20 Jan 2013 - 4:53 PM

Quote: With regards to the bridge camera, AlexandraSD, what did you get, and do you find it compares well with a DSLR? Smile

Sure, its a Leica V-Lux 3, and compared to my old 350D, similar to how i felt when i bought my fiat punto after driving a toyata carina E for a year, pleasurable, fun, exciting, adventurous!

The Leica and Canon are from different planets really, so different from each other, yet it still feels familiar, everything is in its right place button and dial wise, feels intuitive, which is a big bonus i think. The Leica does have terrible manual focus control, but thats something i need to acquaint myself with properly, but the focus lock button is conveniently located anyway so not much of an issue.

Its a versatile little thing though, goes from 25-600mm, can focus on objects 1cm away at the 25mm end, the flippy lcd means no more wet knees when photographing from a low angle, and there are lots of creative modes which are auto/semi-auto, and quite fun to play with, and while i never used any scene modes on the 350d, i have used them on the v-lux3 quite often, with more than acceptable results, though i still like to have total control over the elements in certain situations, it all depends what im photographing and why really.

I guess a few togs are confused as to why anyone who used an slr for the past 20 or so years would suddenly decide to go with a bridge camera, but its not really just about the camera, its how it makes you feel, a bit like cars really Grin

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 5:01 PM

Re the Leica, can you record RAW and jpeg together or only one or t'other?

AlexandraSD
20 Jan 2013 - 5:50 PM

Simultaneously, plus you get Elements 11 and Elements Premier bundled in as a download.

Not much i dislike about the camera, i sometimes wish i had more control in the creative and scene modes, but i guess thats why there there, to dictate how the final image will look, and there is no pop up flash power settings, its on or off, be nice to have a weak flash just to trigger the main flash but i overcome this by using an empty loo roll and some tin foil, might invest in wireless triggers soon but for now this crude method works well enough.

I keep saying im gonna use my 350D again but so far its just sitting there on the dressing table, probably now a good idea to remove the battery and store it somewhere im guaranteed to forget in a few months time lol

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3287 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 8:37 PM

My Nikon D100 has been going for nearly ten years, fault free. It feels well-built, but some Nikon SLR users descibed it as "flimsy" and "a plastic toy" when it came out...
Unfortunately shutter actuation figures are apparently not recorded by this model (or at least I've not found a way to discover them).

Last Modified By rhol2 at 21 Jan 2013 - 12:01 AM
AlexandraSD
20 Jan 2013 - 8:47 PM

Look, say we take 365 images per week for a year, which isn't that hard, thats 133225 images already, and i guess many of us take more than that figure on a good week anyway, so i think the 150000 accentuations is a bit mean, i reckon a well looked after camera could easily do a million images if not more.

justin c
20 Jan 2013 - 10:16 PM

365 images a week for a year is 18,980 images by my calculation. Based on a rated shutter life of 150,000 actuations, means your camera should be ok for virtually 8 years. If it makes the 1 million mark, it should keep you picture taking for just over 52.5 years Tongue . By that stage an upgrade would be about overdue.Smile

Last Modified By justin c at 20 Jan 2013 - 10:17 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.