Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How many actuations ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SimPick
SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2008 - 5:34 PM

Hi,

Been looking around at the possibility of now buying a 50d or a second hand 5d mkI if it's roughly the same price. Turns out I just found an old 5d, with battery grip, that is going for 750quid, which is exactly the same price as the new 50d will be here in Switzerland. My question is - as a rule, how many actuations (is that what it's called ??), i.e. shutter releases, is a camera usually good for, and what repair needs to be carried out when the shutter does go ? Is it such a big and expensive job ?

Cheers,

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Oct 2008 - 5:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
1 Oct 2008 - 5:36 PM

service every 20,000 and replace shutter at 100,000. dont know about cost. james

SimPick
1 Oct 2008 - 5:38 PM

OK. Good to know what I may be getting myself into with a second hand cam. Never bought second hand before.

Thanks.

User_Removed
1 Oct 2008 - 5:43 PM

Apparently the shutter count on the 5d can be reset so just make sure it is genuine. At the price you have been given it is a bargain if in good nick. Its a very good camera, i love mine. james

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2008 - 5:48 PM

There is no need to have a service until something goes wrong. The in-calibration service life of the shutter is 100,000. So some will fail before this, others will run on for a long time with possibly a loss in timing accuracy.

Getting an accurate count of shutter actuation is difficult. But I believe the shutter replacement cost is about 150. Phone Canon service in your area to find out.

I have seen 5D's turn up at dealers with warranty for just over 800 recently.

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
1 Oct 2008 - 6:20 PM

James thats a load of rubbish.

There is no need to service every 20k shots. The shutter is rated somewhere between 100,000 and 150,000 but as John says some fail before this. My very first DSLR (10D) failed after 4 shots. I know of people ho are still using their 1D cameras after over 400,000 shots without needing to replace the shutter.

User_Removed
1 Oct 2008 - 7:01 PM

It was on this site i seen a thread saying 20,000 was when a shutter on a 5d should be serviced to ensure it would keep working properly. I know the shutter life varies on different cameras. I have about 8,000 on mine and it is still working fine.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2008 - 7:02 PM

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, James. Smile

Last Modified By Carabosse at 1 Oct 2008 - 7:03 PM
da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
1 Oct 2008 - 7:04 PM

In my 4 years of shooting with DSLRs I have never once had a service. My 1DIIn has taken over 30,000 shots and is totally fine

SimPick
1 Oct 2008 - 7:35 PM

Just to add to my last post, an interesting development has come about. I contacted a guy who's selling a 5d body for 600quid. I wrote and asked how old it is and how many actuations, and what condition it is in, and scratches, etc etc...... He just wrote back and said that the camera is new, and by that he means in a sealed and never opened box !! He says he's selling the camera so cheap because he's buying a car and needs the money. Quick. As with all this, one can't help being more than a little sceptical. but what could go wrong ? There is no such thing as camera cheap copies. I guess it may be knocked off, but at the same time I don't want to miss the bargain of the year.

What to do ? What to do ? Hmmmmmmm, an interesting one. For your info, 600quid is exactly half the normal retail price here in Switzerland for a new body only 5d.

Simon.

davereet
davereet e2 Member 10200 forum postsdavereet vcard United Kingdom
1 Oct 2008 - 7:40 PM

My Nikon D200 is rated at 150000 actuations, thats 1000 per month for twelve and a half years!
I am sure that Canon shutters are at least equal to that, so unless it was owned by a pro tog I should imagine it has plenty of life left.
Dave

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2008 - 7:41 PM

Quote: but what could go wrong ?

You pay for it and never receive it?
Or you pay for it and it isn't what you think it is?

SimPick
1 Oct 2008 - 7:43 PM

Quote: You pay for it and never receive it?

The guy lives 10 minutes drive away so I would collect.

Quote: Or you pay for it and it isn't what you think it is?

What could it be ?

Last Modified By SimPick at 1 Oct 2008 - 7:43 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2008 - 7:47 PM

Quote: What could it be ?

don't know.... lol

Ah, if you can collect it and check it there and then, then it is a great buy.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2008 - 7:51 PM

There is always a risk when you buy second hand.

(The seller may have stuck the mirror back with super glue, for example -nudge nudge wink wink Wink Wink )

However that is the risk you take for the lower price you pay.
jas

Last Modified By Just Jas at 1 Oct 2008 - 7:52 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.