Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How many of you print your work?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 6:59 PM

Just doing some research for an article. Can I ask you ,the great unwashed, how many of you print your work, or don't as the case may be. Those that do, what do you do with them?( a lot of do's there). As a percentage of your total work how many get printed ? What motivates you to print? Why don't you print? Are the people who don't missing out? WIth the internet and photosharing sites, is printing so last century?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Martin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2010 - 6:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
19 Mar 2010 - 7:01 PM

Yes. Those that have sales potential or exhibition potential.

If you don't print then you're wasting your time having a camera that has more than 4MP

WinkWinkWink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:06 PM

Now that I no longer have a darkroom I do not do any printing.

I used to print regularly from colour transparencies and B&W negatives but the chemicals / paper got harder to buy in small quantities resulting in a lot of wastage with the larger quantities.

One day I may get a printer for prints from scans and now digital camera but I at the moment I am still struggling to digitally process images to get anything worthwhile for printing Sad

Last Modified By JJGEE at 19 Mar 2010 - 7:06 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:10 PM

as an amateur its all for personal gratification or for family & friends. Once a year a big 24*36 inch print, maybe twice an month a a4 print for my coffee table folder, maybe twice a week 4*6 print for a smaller folder. Occasional 20 4*6 print runs for fam or friends often given with a subset CD of jpegs for the event i was at.
I like a4 or bigger prints as good detail is visible.

justin c
justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:11 PM

I print virtually every image I process and at either A4, A3 or A3+ size.
I enjoy printing and love seeing the results emerge from the printer.
The prints just get stored in boxes in a filing cabinet but I get great pleasure in looking through them once in a while. Some get framed and put on the wall.
I process and therefore only print, a tiny proportion of the images I actually take.
Less than 5% get processed, i.e. converted from the original Raw file.
I find printing great fun, challenging and extremely satisfying. Experimenting with different papers is something I'd love to do more of.

I strongly resent paying the absolutely extorionate and rip-off prices that Epson charges for ink though.

Last Modified By justin c at 19 Mar 2010 - 7:15 PM
stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:11 PM

Quote: If you don't print then you're wasting your time having a camera that has more than 4MP

Interesting view Chris.

Negatives? Chemicals? I don't think I understand jjgee.Wink

User_Removed
19 Mar 2010 - 7:17 PM

Yes. Up to A3+ - and I would agree with Justin re the cost of Epson OEM carts but, having had a horrendous experience with Lyson inks last year, I put up with the costs now as the quality is assured.

I also agree with Chris' comment except I would up the pixel count to 6Mpx. That said, I have had a 4ftx3ft poster print off my D70 which is perfect as it was printed by a good RIP operator.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 Mar 2010 - 7:19 PM
stix
19 Mar 2010 - 7:19 PM

Wow stuart, you have a printing schedule, thats incredbly well organsied.

Quote: I print virtually every image I process and at either A4, A3 or A3+ size.

Thanks Justin, Thats brilient.
I know what you mean about printing costs, my epsom 2400 drinks like Mel Gibson.

justin c
justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:23 PM

I'm still on a very dated Epson 1290S and I've always paid roughly £15 for a colour cartridge.
The prices have gone up a lot and I'm now paying £20 per cartridge, which I'll tollerate, but if they're no longer available I would absolutely refuse to pay the full £35 for a cartridge.
I'll try compatables or put the printer straight in the dusbin Sad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:30 PM

I print regularly to 15"x10" for competition and sales use
I have larger images printed via a friend who runs a print shop and has a canon 6100 and these prints go to 30"x20", 36"x12" and similar
I also print for hanging at home and provide a printing service for a select few friends (I would hate to print other peoples work on a regular basis - too much emotional strain trying to get it "right" Wink )

For me, unless I have the print in my hand I can't see the image (I don't have the ability to judge it on-screen)

Over the year its certainly hundreds of prints and I suspect at times over a thousand

(I have to sell some of them to pay for the ink and paper (I mainly print on fine art papers such as Hahnemuhle photo rag 308, which don't come cheap!)

Daffy1
Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
19 Mar 2010 - 7:31 PM

I print a lot for various reasons but mainly because I think a beautiful picture needs to be framed properly and looked at hanging on a wall. People think my pictures are paintings !!
Print up to A3+ in colour and B&W. When your pictures are hanging on a wall you can discuss the picture with more meaning and in more depth than you could ever do on a "blog" like this.
Damian

danbrann
danbrann e2 Member 9473 forum postsdanbrann vcard 15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:44 PM

I print up to A3 on a canon printer but only for club competitions and the odd sale. Things are expensive because I use fotospeed High white smooth then mount them to 20 x16.
Danbrann.

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 7:58 PM

I used to print mono and colour up to A3 when I was on the club lecture circuit but then my printer got a terminal illness and I couldn't afford to replace it with a model that was not expensive to buy and run so I retired from the circuit and very rarely print anything nowadays.

I always feel that the quality of the image must be higher for printing especially for exhibition prints which will receive some pretty close inspection and, as a result, I do feel that my standards heve slipped somewhat since I stopped printing.

Prior to going digital I was also a quite active mono darkroom worker and I still love to see a good black and white print. Digital mono is now very good but the cost of equipment and inks for producing large black and white prints is beyond my means. Sad

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 8:20 PM

I print very few of my images, most go straight to the website, and from there to the lab and onto the customer. The rest go to the media or libraries. I only print the occasional proof for someone who doesn't have internet access. Perhaps I'd print more if ink cost less than Champagne. Smile

AlanPerkins
19 Mar 2010 - 8:30 PM

I print about 90% of the pictures I process at 6x4, then print the facourites (about 5%) at 9x6 or 15x10, depending on how I feel.

For what it's worth, I don't think there's much point in taking and processing them if you never see them in print.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.