Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How many of you print your work?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 8:34 PM

Interesting that cost seems to be quite a factor.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2010 - 8:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 8:56 PM

I never print my own, I just never seem to enough free time Sad

bigalguitarpicker

As a mature student I print a fairly large amount of A4, 5 and 6 for illustrating my workbooks. I'm shooting plenty of pics of my 5 month old grand-daughter which are mostly printed at A5 and 6 for putting in an album, making two or three copies of some for giving to baby's Mum and other Grand-parents. Apart from from that, I print very little of what I shoot, preferring to put them online. I sometimes print an A4 of something I particularly like, which I keep in display books from Tesco's, just for a bit of a printed record. Printing costs are low. I recently tried Tesco's 240gsm Glossy paper and it's fine. I also use ProJet compatible inks in my Epson R340 printer. These cost £5 per set of 6 ink cartridges. I even get acceptable mono prints using these, though not consistently enough to recommend them for mono.

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 9:48 PM

Yes upto A2+, mount and sell'em, Anything larger gets sourced out.

Geraint
Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 9:52 PM

I print everything up to and including A3. Mainly for quality control.It's not that much cheaper than getting them done by a pro lab, but I like having the guarantee of quality, and also the ability to offer a quick turnaround for clients if they need it. I also find that the quality is better than that from a lab (depending on paper I use). Hope that helps!
Geraint

s800byj
s800byj  7133 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Mar 2010 - 9:57 PM

You guys that print your own, do you all have pro grade printers?

Geraint
19 Mar 2010 - 10:02 PM

Yes - Canon Pro9500 in my case.

kitsch
kitsch  8438 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 10:10 PM

hmmm...
i print about 25% of edited stuff i imagine... that's also down to cost mainly as i use a lab.
normally get A4 or square 8'' or 12'' sometimes A3 or poster size depending...
mine mainly just go into my A4 portfolio anyway, with others on walls Smile
any sales ( not many lol ) have been off the web so i don't have involvement in the printing of them

and although i love uploading onto screen, there's nothing like having prints in your hand is there Smile

Geraint
19 Mar 2010 - 10:15 PM

Definitely agree Jo. Also, I've found that prints are much more forgiving to high-ISO photos than the screen is. All that noise you see on screen seems to disappear when the print pops out.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 10:47 PM

I print out, together with the description, all the images that I upload to epz, and have done so almost from the beginning. These I too, mount in a Tesco display book, 38 pics plus a title cover page and an index.

I use Tesco A4 matte paper 120gsm for this. Print size 7"x5"ish the bottom half of the paper being textual.

Some of my photo projects I print out, together with text and have them spiral bound (when I manage to complete them!)

For this I use Tesco Glossy A4 paper 190gsm, a mixture of print and text as suits.

Gives them some sense of purpose rather than just shooting bundles of images.

The technical subject matter of my projects is the main interest - the photography and the computer just enable me to do it.

I guess that I just miss being at work. Sad
jas

stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 11:00 PM

Thanks a lot guys,
That sounds good Jas, I could never be that organised.

Quote: there's nothing like having prints in your hand is there Smile

JO, why does that sound so naughty Smile

I agree with the sentiment, with a print, you can touch it, feel it, smell it, and taste it
( apparently kids lick the ink off, it's legal).

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
19 Mar 2010 - 11:03 PM

Of the images my wife and I both take, probably about 10% get beyond Bridge's lightbox (not that we're that bad, just looking for striking images..honest Smile). Of these probably half end up being printed up to A3 size on our Epson R2880 on Fotospeed and Permajet papers (really like Permajet's Fibre Base Royal paper) 75% being mono prints. To date have mainly been for competitions and our LRPS panels but just starting to sell a few as well.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110238 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2010 - 11:48 PM

I use an HP 9180 for my home printing, a 15"x10" on Hahnemuhle photo rag works out at around £1.50 for ink and £2 for an A3 sheet

Last Modified By brian1208 at 19 Mar 2010 - 11:48 PM
Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
20 Mar 2010 - 12:12 AM

If I do print and it's very rare I do, then I will get a lab to do it. I just don't have a printer worthy of the task and cannot justify buying say an Epson r2880.

stix
20 Mar 2010 - 12:12 AM

Going slightly off topic, epson cartridges cost from epson £14 each for 13 ml for my r2400,
thats about £1100 a litre. And you thought petrol was expensive!

Last Modified By stix at 20 Mar 2010 - 12:12 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.