Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How many of you print your work?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 12:22 AM

Quote: Going slightly off topic, epson cartridges cost from epson £14 each for 13 ml for my r2400,
thats about £1100 a litre. And you thought petrol was expensive!

And that is probably the main reason that a lot more don't print, plus the rise in the likes of digital photo frames, etc.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Mar 2010 - 12:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 12:46 AM

Interesting debate.

These days I really only print for exhibitions and sales (I would like to be a member of a camera club, and do the competitions etc, but I just don't have the time right now - young family etc).

It is difficult to say what percentage of my photos get printed, but just doing a quick check on the (landscape) photos I have taken so far this year - I have processed 40 photos, and printed 10 of them.

To be honest, the 1 in 4 rate is probably a bit higher than usual, as I have had some very productive days recently.

I use an Epson 1900 - yes the cartridges are small and expensive, but I am actually fairly impressed with the number of prints I get from them.

I print a lot of 9x6, 12x8 and 15x5, plus a few 15x10, 20x8 and 36x12

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 12:51 AM

Quote: Going slightly off topic, epson cartridges cost from epson £14 each for 13 ml for my r2400

Try 7 Day shop - they are currently selling for £10.30

Last Modified By mattw at 20 Mar 2010 - 12:51 AM
paulknight
20 Mar 2010 - 1:34 AM

In late 2009 I designed a questionnaire for the local Camera Club and one question sought to find out how many of 30 members printed their photographs (as opposed to using a kiosk at a shop, for example).

20% of members never use editing software and print their own; 25% occasionally do; 30% often do; 25% always do.

5% never download photos to a computer, 5% do so only occasionally. 80% always do, and 10% often do.
The purpose of the questionnaire was to find out how we might programme activities for 2010 in order to help members take more control of the the whole process of taking, choosing and producing photos.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014829 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 4:35 AM

I worked part time in a photo lab till last week, and very infrequently submitted photos online when we had a special deal going. I used to print my own for several years, and thought I was getting a better product, but I've since done an about face, and believe the cost and hassle is not worth it, unless my wife wants one or two printed in a hurry. I much prefer the quality from the lab at which I worked, and if I don't like them, no charge.

nishad1994
20 Mar 2010 - 8:11 AM

Well, as I still small, I dont print my own photographs .... Smile
I print about a 100 photographs once a year whenever I go to India (size : 4'' 6''), as printing is very expensive in Oman. Though I have a printer, I never use it !! Smile

Nishad

Warriorpoet
20 Mar 2010 - 8:29 AM

I print about 1% of the stuff I take if that. All for personal consumption. Mostly at A4 or A3 from a lab. I also printed the one photo I sold.

stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 9:06 AM

Thanks guys.

Quote: I have had some very productive days recently.

Hence the young family...

What did you do with those 10 lovely prints Matt, once you've stopped admiring them?

Last Modified By stix at 20 Mar 2010 - 9:52 AM
nishad1994
20 Mar 2010 - 9:36 AM

Oh yah ! I forgot to add, I print less than 1 % of the photographs I take !! Smile

Nishad

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014148 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 9:37 AM

Like some of the others I print for exhibitions and sales plus camera club print competitions.
I find printing is a skill in itself and can be just as frustrating/rewarding/expensive as photography.

At the end of each year I print all my best shots on A4 paper and put the in a portfolio, it's quite enlightening to look back at stuff you did a few years back and see what you think of it now.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 9:59 AM

not printed anything for a few months

quite like doing Blurb Books though - gather together a theme and bung the shots in a book, doesn't take long and looks good as a portfolio piece

nishad1994
20 Mar 2010 - 10:21 AM

Quote: quite like doing Blurb Books though - gather together a theme and bung the shots in a book, doesn't take long and looks good as a portfolio piece

Hey, good idea !! I have made a A4 book, but all the photographs are put just randomly !! :Smile

Nishad

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 10:22 AM

printing is my whole reason for photography, to me photography is all about prints, despite them being useless to anyone after being used in the club competitions, federation exhibitions, club talks and the odd sale.

of course you need an extension to the house the growing number of piles of 20 x 16 mounts.

being a fairly old hand, i can say that i believe digital printing has surpassed wet colour printing by miles (though the jury is still out on mono) ------ and then there was something special about a high gloss cibachrome if you could get rid of the colour castes but rolling drums around the floor all night was a bore and holding chemicals to a 1 degree tolerance.

nothing feels more like, or expresses emotions of photography to me than a big print.

i was at the Sheffield knockout competition last night for about 25 camera clubs and i just cant get excited about projected digital images.

it was a fabulous competition though, but i just wanted to see prints of the best shots.

Jestertheclown
20 Mar 2010 - 10:49 AM

I print very few images for my own use but produce quite a lot of A5 prints for the parents at my daughter's school.
I'm the official 'in house' photographer so whenever there's an event, school plays etc., I take the photos, produce a contact sheet which is pinned up in reception and the parents tell me which ones they'd like.
They pay £2.00 each for them. The school keeps £1.00 and I get the other one.
I use a cheap Epson DX7400 which I've had about two years and, working at this level, it does a perfectly adequate job.
I get my inks from Amazon for less than £5.00 a set (of four) and I've just started using glossy photographic paper, 200gsm., A4 cut in half at 15 sheets for £1.00 (from the 99p. shop).
Each print costs about 20p.(ish) to produce.
That's not as profitable as it sounds as I don't produce that many prints but it does mean that should I want an A4 or two for personal use, it doesn't cost me anything.
I can also get 25 free 6"x4" prints from Snapfish, through Virgin media, each month which I had sent to family and friends. It was a good deal for the first three months as the postage was free but now I'd have to pay so I shall start printing them myself.
I think the prints were only of average quality anyway.
I like the idea of producing some prints and keeping them in a folder purely as a record / portfolio though. In the past, I've always sent people to my website to look at my images.
I think I'll start one.

Jester.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 20 Mar 2010 - 10:50 AM
stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 11:12 AM

Quote: I like the idea of producing some prints and keeping them in a folder purely as a record / portfolio though. In the past, I've always sent people to my website to look at my images.
I think I'll start one.

Nice one, i'm thinking the same way. A print won't crash will it? It might fade away, but hey lets be realistic, you will probably have fallen off your perch by then.

Last Modified By stix at 20 Mar 2010 - 11:13 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.