Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

How many of you print your work?

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
20 Mar 2010 11:40AM

Quote:It might fade away,

But will it?
I was originally only going to keep some of the better ones as a record so they won't come out of the wardrobe except when I update the folder which won't be all that often and they will hardly be handled at all.
What I've decided to do instead is to produce two. One, in A4, as a record, hardly ever to see the light of day and another, less formal to pass around and show people.
As for fading, even my cheaplaugh, poverty version, printed images which I've had on display in the lounge for years are surviving being exposed to sunlight on a daily basis.
At the first sign of any deterioration, I'll simply print a new one.
Jester.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stix e2
10 924 87 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 11:56AM
Having done a bit of reaseach, this morning. I can tell you that keeping them in the wardrobe won't protect against possible ozone fade, thermal fade, and humidity fade......
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 12:02PM

Quote:nothing feels more like, or expresses emotions of photography to me than a big print.

my feelings exactly, the bigger the better Smile
nishad1994 5 264 Oman
20 Mar 2010 12:03PM
I got a quetion : Whats the use of printing costly photographs and then keeping them in the wardrobe ??
It would be better that we made a file (a coffee table file) which can be kept in our hall, where people can easily see the wonderful work that we are doing !! Smile

Nishad
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
20 Mar 2010 12:13PM

Quote:Whats the use of printing costly photographs and then keeping them in the wardrobe ??

You have a point Nishad, it does seem a bit pointless, I suppose. especially if they're going to deteriorate equally quickly wherever they're kept.

As for them being costly, they won't cost me all that much! (see my earlier post).

Jester.
LensYews 6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 12:22PM

Quote:Whats the use of printing costly photographs and then keeping them in the wardrobe ??

Let's hope that e-Ink technology develops quickly to the stage where we can have large fineart quality e-ink paper prints hanging on the wall and solve the storage and ongoing printing cost issues. With the benefit you can change it at any time, I know you can do this with the LCD screen - but they don't leave me inspired yet.

Although I would still have to spend hours fighting photoshop Smile
nishad1994 5 264 Oman
20 Mar 2010 12:57PM

Quote:As for them being costly, they won't cost me all that much! (see my earlier post).
Jester.

Yep, I read it !! Lucky you ... Wink Even I am the in-school photographer at my school, but I dont get anything other than the praise which my principal showers on me from time to time ... Wink

Quote:Let's hope that e-Ink technology develops quickly to the stage where we can have large fineart quality e-ink paper prints hanging on the wall and solve the storage and ongoing printing cost issues. With the benefit you can change it at any time, I know you can do this with the LCD screen - but they don't leave me inspired yet.

Hahaha .... Wink

Nishad
20 Mar 2010 1:08PM

Quote: ....it's quite enlightening to look back at stuff you did a few years back and see what you think of it now.

Especially when it goes back 60 years or so! Sad

jas Wink
20 Mar 2010 1:11PM

Quote:...i believe digital printing has surpassed wet colour printing by miles (though the jury is still out on mono) --

Can't beat a good silver based mono print!

Though it has to be a good one. Smile
jas
stix e2
10 924 87 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 2:13PM
Great response to my post. Thanks, much appreciated.
The trend is that we are printing less and less. Any one here who rarely prints?
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 2:18PM
I print in mono only. mainly for a postal portfolio by digital means.

Darkroom printing has its merits and should be compared to digital as a different medium and not as a replacement. The look and feel are entirely different.

The one area of printing that raises concerns is the absence of the family album that can be viewd by anyone without any high tech device.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Mar 2010 2:20PM
I only print photos which are to be displayed.

My days of printing just to put the pictures into albums, rarely to be seen, are over. They go on the web now, where it is so much easier to share - even with friends abroad.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 2:38PM

Quote:so much easier to share - even with friends abroad.

Yes, that is certainly a big advantage with modern technology.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2010 4:06PM

Quote:The one area of printing that raises concerns is the absence of the family album that can be viewd by anyone without any high tech device.

Even worse was the family that was featured in the paper a few months back. Burglars had broken in and stolen their computers & all their backups. They now had no pictures at all of any of their children growing up Sad
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Mar 2010 4:12PM

Quote:Burglars had broken in and stolen their computers & all their backups. They now had no pictures at all of any of their children growing up

A very good reason for backing up to the web anything which will be of value, whether commercial or sentimental, in years to come.

Although burglars are unlikely to steal family albums, fire or flood could see these items destroyed... along with negatives, computers, external hard-drives etc, disks etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.