Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How many of you print your work?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

nishad1994
20 Mar 2010 - 6:12 PM

Quote: Even worse was the family that was featured in the paper a few months back. Burglars had broken in and stolen their computers & all their backups. They now had no pictures at all of any of their children growing up Sad

Its really sad to know that burglars steal such stuff !! Sad
What happiness do they get by seeing (stolen) photographs of other families !!

Nishad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Mar 2010 - 6:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 6:23 PM

Quote: What happiness do they get by seeing (stolen) photographs of other families !!

Nothing, they don't bother viewing them. Just sell on the hard drives & laptops for a few pounds.

Gordonsimpson
20 Mar 2010 - 7:04 PM

I never print any of my pictures. None of them have been good enough to print. But I am still learning the art of good photography.

Chant57
Chant57 e2 Member 8371 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 7:25 PM

I print my images. Mainly for club competitions, until recently at A4 and then mount them, but having bought an A3+ printer at focus this year, Im now printing A3 and mounting on 20 x 16" mountboard for club competitions. If friends ask for prints I print for them, plus I make greetings cards, for my own use, using either a 6" x 4" or a 7" x 5" mounted on prefolded white cards.

Jestertheclown
20 Mar 2010 - 7:53 PM

Quote: A very good reason for backing up to the web anything which will be of value, whether commercial or sentimental, in years to come.

Hi CB,
I've been toying with the idea of backing all my stuff up on the web for some time. At the moment, I've got everything copied to my daughter's computer and vice versa but they're in the same building so, as you say . . . fire and flood etc.
Do you, or anyone have a recommendation as to which service to use? It has to be extremely cheap or, better still, free and offer a reasonable amount of space.
Windows SkyDrive ofers 25gb. for nothing which would do for the moment but is it any good?
Jester.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 8:00 PM

It doesn't have to be "good" as such - it is only a storage facility. I guess you just have to be assured it is not a 'fly by night' site and will be around for some time to come!

Also, one probably needs to be a bit discriminating about what to back up, otherwise all your storage space will be used up in no time at all. In practice the only photos (most) people really hold dear are images of people who they hold dear! Smile Plus anything of notable commercial value of course.

Those pictures of landscapes, robins, waterfalls, water droplets and little birdies can generally be reproduced if ever lost...................

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2010 - 8:15 PM

Quote: Do you, or anyone have a recommendation as to which service to use?

I use backblaze, $50 a year for unlimited storage. Works quite well and supports external drives (some services don't).

Quote: It doesn't have to be "good" as such - it is only a storage facility.

If you lose everything - it's your only storage. Recovery options are important - look for ones that will ship a drive to you by courier.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 20 Mar 2010 - 8:27 PM
Jestertheclown
20 Mar 2010 - 9:55 PM

@CB and Chris,
Thanks fellas.
When I said "good" I really should have said "reliable" which is what you're both saying here.
I suppose by virtue of it being supplied by Windows it could be expected to be around for the foreseeable future, especially if Google and other big hitters are vying for similar business.
As for what to back up, I was planning to do as CB suggests and concentrate on the images I value the most. Ones of my daughter and my dog. Oh, and one or two of the wife!
I also want to back up some documents which apparently SkyDrive allows you to do.
I don't expect anything shipped to me by courier though; not by windows and certainly not for free. For me though, that's less of a priority. I can access another computer easily enough if I need to download them if the worst should happen.
I'll have a look and see how I get on.
Jester.

lobsterboy
20 Mar 2010 - 10:09 PM

Quote: I don't expect anything shipped to me by courier though; not by windows and certainly not for free.

It's not free - you have to pay for the drive & delivery. I currently have 320GB (and rising) with Backblaze, last thing I want to do in event of a disaster is to have to wait for that lot to download.

With unlimited storage the big limitation is your broadband upload speed. I get about 2GB a day.
Its not really suitable as your only backup - I use it as a backup of last resort, if I lose my main data drive and my backup drive (by fire/theft/etc) that's when I would need to restore from it. I's a $50 a year insurance policy against a major disaster.

Jestertheclown
20 Mar 2010 - 10:24 PM

I've just been to SkyDrive and decided against it as it was asking me to upload one image at a time. I tried one which was still uploading after more than a minute when I gave up.
You can apparently install Windows uploader (or something) which I think allows you to upload more than one at a time but I was sufficiently unimpressed that I didn't bother.
Time to look elsewhere methinks!
(The Google deal looks pretty reasonable).
Jester.

lobsterboy
20 Mar 2010 - 10:29 PM

Quote: I tried one which was still uploading after more than a minute when I gave up.

Depends how big it is, it will take a fair time on broadband which is why they normally give you a client that uploads in the background so you can leave it running all day.

From what I can see Google look quite expensive $0.25 per GB soon starts to mount up.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 20 Mar 2010 - 10:34 PM
Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2010 - 5:54 AM

Backed up my important shots to a portable hard drive took it with me everywhere 'till I lost it! Back up to DVD now and store them in a multi pack wallet every so often and, leave in my drawer at work.
Adam

Oh and as for the original post, I hardly ever print but, intend to do more.

Last Modified By Toonman at 21 Mar 2010 - 5:56 AM
nishad1994
21 Mar 2010 - 6:22 AM

I put all my (good) photographs in a portable HD. At the moment I have my dad's old 40 GB HD. Will get a larger one soon.
Mostly I tell my dad to keep it in his office cupboard ! Sometimes he brings it home, when anyone, so that we all can see the photographs !! ....... Smile

Nishad

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314911 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2010 - 2:13 PM

I`ve played around a little with on line storage using a file sharing site, can`t remember the maximum of free storage given, from memory either 5 or ten gig.

I found the feature of password protected folders very useful.

Back to home printing, like I said I don`t print from home, far to time consuming and costly and I just don`t have the space for a printer larger than A4 anyway.

I had a picture appear in a paper over the Christmas period, a first for me since is was taken using a lensbaby. In the following week I got shot of pretty much 200 prints at mostly 6x9 and 10x15, and gave them all away at cost only.

I`ve got no idea of the cost if I had printed at home, but feel pretty sure it would have worked out a whole lot dearer than lab prices.

nishad1994
21 Mar 2010 - 5:51 PM

[quote]I`ve played around a little with on line storage using a file sharing site, can`t remember the maximum of free storage given, from memory either 5 or ten gig.
quote]

But 5 or 10 GB, would be too less I suppose, if you want to save your photographs. In that case, you'll have to select your BEST images !! Smile

Nishad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.