Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How much do I charge?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carlson
Carlson  2 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hi, All a company has asked me to take some shots of some cushions and a wheel chair, around 12 to 15 shots, at a rough guess its about a days work and then some P/S work that could also be a days work.
Should I charge by the hour or for the job, if by the hour what do you think is a fair rate, if for the job how much do you think.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Barry

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jul 2012 - 12:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 12:26 PM

12-15 shots isn't a days work based on what you've told us?

From the info you've given it would seem less than a days work and that includes the PS work.

But a days work is somewhere between £200 and £1000 depending on how you value yourself and your work - in other words, only you can decide.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Jul 2012 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn't say this was a days work either including the PS work. I would charge about £300 I think depending on the agreed copyright useage of the final images.

Carlson
6 Jul 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for replying so quickly.
I will be taking the shots at there place of work so all my lights and back grounds and so on this all takes time to set up and pack away, plus travel time to and from so its a day work, Ok a day on P/S could be a bit long but it could run in to all morning.

So what do you think should I charge for the job or per shot.

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 12:48 PM

OK lets get real on this.

If I was the client, I wouldn't be interested in your travel time, I'm not willing to pay for that (so hide that in your hourly rate) - I'll pay a mileage expense.

Set up time to photograph cushions - twenty minutes tops. (I used to set up off site to photograph room sets in 30 mins).

Time per shot - five mins at most. Lets call it two hours and throw in the wheelchair. If all your producing is 'pack shots' then an hour, lets say two for generosity, for the PS work.

That's four and a half hours at £?? an hour.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 12:48 PM

If you charge per shot and they decide to just take 1 then your scuppered.
If you need to take a day of normal work to do the shoot then what's you loss there?
Also think of travel time/costs based on perhaps 50p per mile.

Do the day rate and you can both relax. or just charge say £500 for the whole thing - shoot and photoshop.

Carlson
6 Jul 2012 - 12:51 PM

Quote: I wouldn't say this was a days work either including the PS work. I would charge about £300 I think depending on the agreed copyright useage of the final images.

Quote: 12-15 shots isn't a days work based on what you've told us?

From the info you've given it would seem less than a days work and that includes the PS work.

But a days work is somewhere between £200 and £1000 depending on how you value yourself and your work - in other words, only you can decide.

Quote: 12-15 shots isn't a days work based on what you've told us?

Thanks for replying so quickly.
I will be taking the shots at there place of work so all my lights and back grounds and so on this all takes time to set up and pack away, plus travel time to and from so its a day work, Ok a day on P/S could be a bit long but it could run in to all morning.

So what do you think should I charge for the job or per shot.

Sory I first replyed to you in the wrong way
Cheers Barry

Carlson
6 Jul 2012 - 1:06 PM

Thanks for all your help I get the general idea, but Keithh I think you are wrong on travel expenses,I now it probably would never happen but if you have a one shot job two hours away and then two hours back are you only going to charge 50 p a mile the AA says it cost 52p just to run the car and that's not counting replacement cost.

Thanks for your help

Cheers Barry

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 1:08 PM

What they are prepared to pay is a big factor. Wink

BarrieNeilPhotography

Frankly, if you live two hours away that's for you to cope with and you can't expect your clients to pay. If your pricing structure doesn't allow for this sort of distance, you shouldn't be taking the jobs to be honest

It sounds like a simple job - half day - £250 - 300 tops

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 5:17 PM

Quote: Frankly, if you live two hours away that's for you to cope with and you can't expect your clients to pay.

Why not? A lot of other contract jobs do. However, if that pushes your costs to be non-competitive for photography you need to find other ways of recouping your costs.

User_Removed
6 Jul 2012 - 8:18 PM

Quote: What they are prepared to pay is a big factor. Wink

Perfect wisdom from Caraboose as always.

Otherwise, multiply the number of actual hours (including travelling, photoshopping and writing on this Forum) by the UK Minimum Wage.

Frankly, if you have to ask the question, you should not be doing the job. Leave it to the professionals. Or admit that you are an amateur like the rest of us and do it for expenses.

(In fact, your ePz Portfolio doesn't even show if you are capable of taking a decent photo. You have not exactly been an active member! )

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Jul 2012 - 8:20 PM
Eviscera
Eviscera  81096 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2012 - 9:43 PM

Spam Smile

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 9:14 AM

Really, if you don't know how much to charge and if you don't know how much clients are prepared to pay for your work, then you should not be attempting it at all. Leave it to the pros. rather than ask us.

Your only way out seems to be to do the job as an amateur, for expenses only and learn more about professioanl work before repeating the exercise.

779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jul 2012 - 9:29 AM

Quote: and learn more about professioanl work before repeating the exercise.

Kinda what they are trying to do isn't it?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.