Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How much do you trust your SatNav?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kombizz
kombizz  9591 forum posts United States1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 1:23 PM

I still use my old A-Z map book to find any address and directions. You might call me an old fashion person.
Here, few people died as a result of wrong information given by digital map finder.
To read more, please click here.

Last Modified By kombizz at 28 Sep 2011 - 1:23 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Sep 2011 - 1:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023173 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 1:37 PM

Its not the sat navs fault that the road ended in a lake.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 2:00 PM

I gave up on maps a while ago. Whilst I don't need glasses for reading, I do need them for driving. So, if I want to check I am on the right track, I have to stop the car, take off the specs and look at the map. Too much hassle.

The only reason people get into difficulty with satnav is lack of common sense. It is a sense that seems to be becoming increasingly uncommon.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 2:03 PM

Do sat navs stop you looking out the windscreen then ?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 2:05 PM

In the artilce Kombizz linked to it says:

Quote: "It seems the vehicle's GPS device told them to go down an old road which ended in the reservoir, but the darkness of the night did not allow them to brake in time and the vehicle became submerged in the water in a few minutes."

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 2:20 PM

In which case they were driving too fast for the conditions, or they weren't using their headlamps.

Still not the satnav's fault.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 2:24 PM

What Chris said then. That's an example of not driving for the conditions, and following the system blindly to your death. It should have read "Stupidity leads man to death"
The ambulance thing, that's another matter I think.

EDIT: Ian beat me.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 28 Sep 2011 - 2:27 PM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73370 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 2:33 PM

Begs the question why did the GPS take them down a dead end road that finished in the lake?
Unless they programmed in "Wettest route".
Seems like a basic programmiing fault of the GPS in the 1st place.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 2:48 PM

Quote: Seems like a basic programmiing fault of the GPS in the 1st place.

Most likely an out of date/crap map. I have had a GPS point me to a dirt track across the moors and along a beach before, trouble was that on the maps I had both were marked as roads so it was doing the best with the info it had available.

User_Removed
28 Sep 2011 - 2:55 PM

I use and rely on my Satnav which is brilliant. However, I still carry a road atlas incase the Satnav stops working for what ever reason.
I also look where I'm going, so if I feel I'm going to enter a lake or drive off a cliff, I apply the brakes! (It's alled common sense!!!) I work with an idiot who takes the 'P' when the subject of Satnavs comes up but I tried to explain to him that the road map doesn't tell me where the traffic jams are or the speed cameras or the nearest petrol station.....blah blah blah. Still I expect these people just don't like change and just like to argue for some reason? Wink

Oh by the way, digicammad sai it's his round for the beers at the next meet. Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Sep 2011 - 2:58 PM
digicammad
28 Sep 2011 - 2:56 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said

Last Modified By digicammad at 28 Sep 2011 - 2:57 PM
User_Removed
28 Sep 2011 - 2:58 PM

Tripled!

Carabosse
28 Sep 2011 - 3:01 PM

I've had a satnav tell me I was driving through a field, when I was actually on a dual carriageway. Again it was an out-of-date map issue.

Perhaps they should introduce common sense as a school subject.... maybe as part of the 'citizenship' lessons or whatever! Wink

digicammad
28 Sep 2011 - 3:26 PM

What I would like to see on a satnav is the 'scenic route' option, which avoids motorways and urban A roads but doesn't take you down farmers' tracks. Smile

Carabosse
28 Sep 2011 - 3:58 PM

Some satnavs have an Avoid Motorways route, which is not the same as Shortest Route, and which can give good results.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.