Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How much for studio Photography?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    coccinella
    coccinella  1046 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Jan 2012 - 5:08 PM

Hello everybody,
    if there is anybody there that is a professional studio photographer how much do you think you would ask for taking picture of about 100 handbags?
    probably two picture each one the inside and another outside they will be used online business.
    the background must be completely white.
    I am not asking for a quote but to understand what would be a reasonably price for such a job.
    Thanks for any answer
    Anna

Last Modified By coccinella at 29 Jan 2012 - 5:09 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jan 2012 - 5:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    29 Jan 2012 - 5:43 PM

Have you shot anything like this before Anna?

I don't necessarily see a need for a Studio for this commission. Is the Client asking for those shots (one inside and one outside)?

To me, this can be effectively delivered by way of a 'Light Tent' and using either natural light or flash - or a combination of both.

If you have such a stage then the initial setup for the first bag needs to be costed (naturally) and then a reasonable figure/shot arrived at for each remaining bag (which becomes a case of one in - shoot - reposition - shoot - remove - replace with the next - ad nauseum)

What shall we say... (assuming you have the gear as suggested) - 100 for the setup? And 20/bag (don't know what we're actually dealing with here - tassles? bright shiny bits giving highlight concerns? etc etc) plus half a day Post Production @ what... 200?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 29 Jan 2012 - 5:49 PM
    Paul_Anthony
    29 Jan 2012 - 5:46 PM

Hi,

You should get a couple of handbags from somewhere and have a little practice before you commit to anything. This will also give you a good idea of how long it will take you to complete the job. Thats taking and processing each set of images, you will also iron out any complications in your lighting set up before you start the job.

Once you know how long it will it will take you will be able to give them a quote based on what you would like to earn from the job. Work out a 'Day Rate' or Hourly Rate' that suits you. There is no exact figure to put on this from anyone elses perspective than your own as every one has different overheads etc.

I take it that the job is all digital as they are for on-line use, so the material costs will be low.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2012 - 7:08 PM

Assuming you have the kit needed (light tent and suitable lights) and assuming each handbag is fairly standard, and that the job is at your own location (no travelling) and the handbags are delivered to you then I would say this would take about 4-5 hours all told. Say half an hour to set up, let's say 400 shots for safety sake at 30 seconds a shot (that's 3 hours and 20 minutes) then say another hour for post processing (should be a fairly simple batch job with minimal adjustments if the set up is good and no major problems), then tidy up.

So the answer is your hourly rate times 5, or if you can swing it a full day rate.

coccinella
    coccinella  1046 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Jan 2012 - 8:44 PM

Hi
    thanks everyone for the answers,
    Yes it is my first commission somebody saw some of my picture and asked if i was interested in doing the job.
    I've got two lightbox on tripods and I'll set everything at home. I did few shots and show to the client to see what they thought and they were happy with the results but wanted colours to be edited.
    I needed to do some editing in photoshop anyway to have perfect white background, what it gives me troubles is the bags colours, they want them to be almost identical to the originals of course but that is not easy ! is it? bags are in leather some bright and shiny colours with also metal parts.

I suppose I will have to colour editing them all later. two pic each would be about 200 images at the end.
    I try to attach a small pic I did.
    Annaprova.jpg

mounse
    mounse  732 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Jan 2012 - 11:20 PM

If you want to do a decent job for your client then I expect it'll take quite a bit longer than 3 or 4 hours. Getting each bag in more or less the same position but then adjusting to show off reflective buckles etc.. removing fluff and dust, review image, reshoot and so on. As you know getting a pure white background isn't easy and will require a fair bit of post processing and each bag will be slightly different. For more consistent colours shoot a Colourchecker and run a DNG profile program to create a profile, the colours will be much much better but you'll still need to make minor adjustments. I'd plan on it taking at least a day with or without post depending on proficiency.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.