Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How much is too much?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    14 Mar 2013 - 10:12 PM

I decided to make the most of the weather today and took a trip to a nature reserve near me. Once there I decided my goal was to get images of the birds in flight, trees etc. So I mounted my Sigma 150-500, clipped it onto my BR RS Sport, locked my bag in the car and off I went. I was out for a few hours and didn't once miss my other kit. Other people I saw were laden with backpacks, scopes mounted to tripods hooked over the top of bags and so on. This set me thinking how much equipment do you all tend to carry on a day trip?

Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Mar 2013 - 10:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6537 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2013 - 12:45 AM

That's exactly the same kit I carry when out walking, I decide when I leave the house what I am intending to shoot and attach the appropriated lens and leave the rest at home, at least then I am ready for action with little distraction or being flogged down with extra gear.

WhiteRose1
    WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41055 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2013 - 6:22 AM

This is what I wrote on a recent upload re security at night/evening in town. Quite valid for your question as well.

" I tend to only use the one camera and try to be lens-specific for the task in hand.... ie my 15-85 lens will cover most angles I want. I have a 20L back pack that stays on my back and holds a couple of ND grads (that rarely get used), emergency mars bar (that always gets eaten!!), pac-a-mac, bin liner, drink etc etc. A bum bag (around the waist, under the jumper) holds spare batteries, CF cards, lens cloth and remote release (when not being used). More than two people that approach you at the same time is a signal to stop the photography and 'focus' on them!"

779HOB
    779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2013 - 7:10 AM

Know your subject - carry the least possible.

My basic kit rules:

Product - tripod, lights, tent, body, 105mm, 50mm
    Business portfolios - as above (minus the 105mm) 17-35mm, 70-200mm and iPhone

Both those don't always need everything it depends on the job.

Press/events work - two bodies, 17-35mm, 70-200mm flash, notebook, two pens and a pencil, mars bars.

Documentary - one body, 50mm

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96311 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2013 - 8:03 AM

Back in the days of film, I only had prime lenses so tended to take all of them out with me most of the time. That is five in total.

Now, having moved over to digital I have a couple of zoom lenses which means with just two I can get the range 24mm to 300mm but I always usually include the 105mm macro as well.
    If I am going to an " event " / " festival " just the 135mm comes with me as it is such a good lens with excellent results allowing post capture cropping / enlarging.

Trouble is, things like a tripod, filters, cable release, batteries, spirit bubble, CF cards etc. all have to come as well, so still have the backpack or messenger bag over my shoulder Sad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.