Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How much to sell photo?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
TonyCoridan
12 Feb 2013 - 5:08 PM

Hi fellow photographers,

Some is interesting in buying some of my photos to be used on his website.

How much would you sell your photos?

What resolution would you convert it before you sell them?

Is the limitation as to how long and for what purpose he can use the photos. Since he wants to use it on his website can he also use it on print, on leaflets, posters etc?

Many thanks,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2013 - 5:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 - 5:24 PM

Quote: Is the limitation as to how long and for what purpose he can use the photos. Since he wants to use it on his website can he also use it on print, on leaflets, posters etc?

All of that is for you to decide - it's your work. The price also is a matter for you. What would you like for your photo? Is it a commercial site? Or a personal one? A charity? A What would he offer? Have you asked?

The resolution, ask him what size he proposes to use the pic at and, say, double it to give him leeway to crop.

There is no answer to what the price should be, unfortunately. I prefer not to sell a pic at all rather than cut what I consider a reasonable asking price. Others are so delighted to see their work used that they will give it away.

Just keep in mind the old adage about negotiating - if you are not willing to walk away from a deal, you are merely testing how far over backwards you will bend.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 7:05 PM

779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 - 8:27 PM

20 a photo?

TonyCoridan
12 Feb 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thanks guys,

A middle man asking me to sell my photos for 1 each. What do you think?

Tony

goexplorephotography

Sounds odd to me. Being approached by a middle man. Who are they? Have to checked them out.

TonyCoridan
12 Feb 2013 - 10:53 PM

yes, he asked me to do some photos, after looking at mime, he then looked at my site (basic site) the buyer said he'd like to buy some via the middle man. since it was him who commission me to do the job.

so, he said the guy liked your photos and wants to buy some. I asked him how many, which ones, for what purpose (web , print etc) he said for web site.

He asked me how much? I said back that depends how many and at what res.

The middle man said; I thought it would be just a pound each.

What would your reply be to him?

Tony

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 12:21 AM

Bye.

If you think your work is worth selling, 1 a go sounds like you're about to be taken advantage of.
There is always someone willing to let their work go for nothing, so there is always someone willing to take it.
You wouldn't build walls for nothing, or fix cars (if you have any business nous at all).

Nick

Last Modified By Sooty_1 at 13 Feb 2013 - 12:24 AM
779HOB
13 Feb 2013 - 5:15 AM

Your photos will be used to promote their business and help to increase they business. I'm sure the middle-man will be charging the client more than 1 an image.

I charge between 10 and 20 an image for website use depending on how many images and also things like credits and traffic to that site and who that traffic is.

Generally though I am paid to take the photos on a day rate and not for individual photos.

I would charge 20 an image in this case based on that's what a local paper will pay for an image sent in on spec if they run it. That image is seen once and then binned. Web images are there for longer and are, hopefully, seen by more people in the photos lifetime.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 7:05 AM

The problem with threads like this is that people tend to think that all photos are created equally, when they are not.

Looking at your website I'm guessing the business is very local and perhaps even a ghost tour or something. You say that the 'middleman' commissioned you and now someone else wants some photos. As he must have paid you, you have the perfect base upon which to pitch your price. I'd guess half what you charged him.

Years ago when threads like this started, I'd say 500 and another now departed member would say 50 to everything. It appeared facetious but in reality it was the truth.

TonyCoridan
13 Feb 2013 - 9:09 AM

Quote:

Looking at your website I'm guessing the business is very local and perhaps even a ghost tour or something. You say that the 'middleman' commissioned you and now someone else wants some photos. As he must have paid you...

No he hasn't paid me a penny as yet!

Tony

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 9:49 AM

If I understand correctly, the third party wants to buy pictures taken by you for someone else (this middle man)?

Technically speaking, if you were commissioned to do the job by someone, they own the copyright and could have the pictures for nothing. The difficulty here could be that you haven't been paid, so what's to say you'll be paid for this new venture?

Nick

779HOB
13 Feb 2013 - 9:58 AM

Quote: they own the copyright

Not really. They might own usage rights but they won't own the copyright unless they have paid specifically to do so. The devil will be in the detail of the original agreement.

TonyCoridan
13 Feb 2013 - 10:15 AM

May be commission was/is the wrong choice of word here; my apology.

Someone knows I'm a photographer and asked me if I could do some photos for a guy; he said after looking at the photos he'll tell me if he wanted to buy them. So, now he wants to buy some of the photos via the guy who asked me to take the photos: the photos are showcased on my site

What's the best to it next time?

Tony

Sooty_1
13 Feb 2013 - 10:56 AM

Sorry poor choice of words by iPhone! The commissioner will own the rights to use the photographs if the photos were taken at their request. If there is no written contract, there will still be an implied or verbal one, which is legally binding, but might require a court to decide on the usage allowed.
Simply, the middle man (and commissioner in this case) could use the photos as they see fit, and it would be up to the photographer to prove any ownership of intellectual rights. They aren't actually stealing the pictures if they commissioned them in the first place, but if there was an agreement to pay for any used, then maybe the OP should have specified the cost and conditions before starting.

Easy to say in hindsight, but taking pictures for someone on a loose promise is asking for confusion and possible exploitation.

Nick

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.