Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How much work to move to Lightroom

alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2013 5:06PM
Hi,
I am a Mac user and have used Aperture for years. I like it a lot but there are things that Adobe products do that Aperture does not, such as correcting verticals. As there doesn't seem to be much sign of an Aperture upgrade, (or is there?), how easy would it be to move my thousands of photos to LR? I suspect that I'm looking at a lot of work, so I'm not enthused at the prospect. Has anyone else made that move, and how much pain is involved? Plus, I like Photostream for sharing so I wonder if it's worth it.
Thanks,
Alan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robway e2
10 317 Wales
10 Oct 2013 8:38AM
I am also use a Mac and have been using PS for a long time but have now been converted to Lightroom. I use for most of my PP work and just nip into PS to finish off. You won't be disappointed by Lightroom but the best way to go is to download the trial version and see how it works for you.
John
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2013 8:50AM
Thanks John, but that wasn't the question. Aperture does 90% of what I want, I just want the extra bits and pieces in LR. However, like LR, Aperture works on the RAW file adding adjustments that are stored on the application. I suspect I'd have to re-edit everything if I wanted to move to Lightroom and transfer all my images.
Alan
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
10 Oct 2013 9:18AM
You mentioned correcting verticals.

There is some software called DXO Viewpoint that can be used as a " plug in " to Aperture.
I use the LR plug-in version and find it does a good job.

They have just released v 2 which apparently has some improvements, but I have not trialled / bought it yet.

May be worth taking a look at DXO's website for more information.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
10 Oct 2013 9:24AM
not sure you "need" to move 1000's of shots over do you?

Just import all you current and future work into Lightroom

not sure what benefit the back-cataloguing exercise would have if they are already catalogued elsewhere
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2013 10:31AM
I'm a Macuser too - I would seriously recommend that you switch to using LR as I feel it is much superior to Aperture.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
10 Oct 2013 10:33AM
macuser.... sounds like a detective series from the 90's Wink
ST e2
3 28 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2013 11:00AM
I would download the trial of Lightroom and use it to import your images from your current storage disk/s.

You can then try the editing capability of Lightroom, without any damage to your original image files. Lightroom is really good its DAM (Digital Asset Management) is great. This coupled with the LR editing capability is great and in my experience I find that I rarely take an image in to Photoshop. The exception to that is if I require to use layers which is not available in LR.

The important point to note is that LR processing is unlike Photoshop "Non Destructive" . Go for the trial download and try it.

Sorry I cant help compare LR to Aperture as I'm on a Windows PC.
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2013 4:44PM
Thanks everyone for commenting. Ade, I had already thought of just cutting over, but then I'd have to remember where everything was, and me grey matter isn't what it wasSmile. I'll have a look at the DXO plug-in as I get virtually everything else in Aperture. ST, Aperture is like Lightroom, it's non-destructive which is why I like it.
Cheers,
Alan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.