Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How much work to move to Lightroom

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2013 - 5:06 PM

Hi,
    I am a Mac user and have used Aperture for years. I like it a lot but there are things that Adobe products do that Aperture does not, such as correcting verticals. As there doesn't seem to be much sign of an Aperture upgrade, (or is there?), how easy would it be to move my thousands of photos to LR? I suspect that I'm looking at a lot of work, so I'm not enthused at the prospect. Has anyone else made that move, and how much pain is involved? Plus, I like Photostream for sharing so I wonder if it's worth it.
    Thanks,
    Alan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Oct 2013 - 5:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robway
    robway e2 Member 9317 forum postsrobway vcard Wales
    10 Oct 2013 - 8:38 AM

I am also use a Mac and have been using PS for a long time but have now been converted to Lightroom. I use for most of my PP work and just nip into PS to finish off. You won't be disappointed by Lightroom but the best way to go is to download the trial version and see how it works for you.
    John

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2013 - 8:50 AM

Thanks John, but that wasn't the question. Aperture does 90% of what I want, I just want the extra bits and pieces in LR. However, like LR, Aperture works on the RAW file adding adjustments that are stored on the application. I suspect I'd have to re-edit everything if I wanted to move to Lightroom and transfer all my images.
    Alan

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2013 - 9:18 AM

You mentioned correcting verticals.

There is some software called DXO Viewpoint that can be used as a " plug in " to Aperture.
    I use the LR plug-in version and find it does a good job.

They have just released v 2 which apparently has some improvements, but I have not trialled / bought it yet.

May be worth taking a look at DXO's website for more information.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014843 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2013 - 9:24 AM

not sure you "need" to move 1000's of shots over do you?

Just import all you current and future work into Lightroom

not sure what benefit the back-cataloguing exercise would have if they are already catalogued elsewhere

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7577 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    10 Oct 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm a Macuser too - I would seriously recommend that you switch to using LR as I feel it is much superior to Aperture.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014843 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2013 - 10:33 AM

macuser.... sounds like a detective series from the 90's Wink

ST
    ST  226 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Oct 2013 - 11:00 AM

I would download the trial of Lightroom and use it to import your images from your current storage disk/s.

You can then try the editing capability of Lightroom, without any damage to your original image files. Lightroom is really good its DAM (Digital Asset Management) is great. This coupled with the LR editing capability is great and in my experience I find that I rarely take an image in to Photoshop. The exception to that is if I require to use layers which is not available in LR.

The important point to note is that LR processing is unlike Photoshop "Non Destructive" . Go for the trial download and try it.

Sorry I cant help compare LR to Aperture as I'm on a Windows PC.

alansnap
    10 Oct 2013 - 4:44 PM

Thanks everyone for commenting. Ade, I had already thought of just cutting over, but then I'd have to remember where everything was, and me grey matter isn't what it wasSmile. I'll have a look at the DXO plug-in as I get virtually everything else in Aperture. ST, Aperture is like Lightroom, it's non-destructive which is why I like it.
    Cheers,
    Alan

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.