Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

How old is the digital camera you are currently using?

pablophotographer 3 464 185
6 Nov 2013 10:36AM
Hello all. Today I came upon an upload from a Fujifilm camera the legendary 9600 which is about 10 years old. I first thought: 'Wow! this person still takes pictures with it, he must be cherishing it" only to discover later that the upload is a picture taken 10 years ago and that this person has changed his camera since.

Various questions came to my mind and I thought of asking the forum : How old is the digital camera you currently use? What did you do with your old one? Do you still use it?

Ten years ago I was presented with a camera I still use to take pictures and despite engulfing both analogue and digital systems I wonder if I shall treasure and use my current digital camera ten years from now (if I still live of course).

Your input is welcome.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome 3 474
6 Nov 2013 10:53AM
I still use my old Olympus E-510 occasionally which I have had since it came out. The pictures are still excellent even compared to the latest cameras. Some times I think cameras have lost their way over the years when I compare my 10mp pics to much higher MP cameras these days, but that's just my observations for what its worth.
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 11:30AM
I still use my first (and only!!) Canon 400D - think its about 8 years old now. Nothing wrong with it at all, although my Sigma lens is starting to play up a bit!
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 11:34AM
I think I've been using the FF DSLR for 6 years and the MFT for 3.
The previous DSLR went to a young relative who still uses it, and does some good work with it.
I still have two old and one current compacts, but have not used one for a while.

I don't know if the MFT will last 10 years, it's too flimsy. There is also plenty of room for improvement in that format, and I might be tempted to replace it.
As for the DSLR, an upgrade would be nice, but probably not needed.
indemnity 6 331
6 Nov 2013 11:36AM
My day to day digital/film camera was bought in 2010, MF Mamiya M31. I have my original digital Fuji 2200 compact from 2001 which was last used 2007/8 for holiday snaps, can't complain at it's performance, though eats batteries.

For travel I now use either Panasonic FZ 100 or Leica V lux 1, both of which have also been used in a studio environment with surprisingly good results.
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
6 Nov 2013 11:49AM

Quote:How old is the digital camera you currently use? What did you do with your old one? Do you still use it?

5 or 6 year old D300, still going strong and still producing images to my satisfaction. Old one is a D200 which my son or daughter uses now and again but mostly gathers dust.
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
6 Nov 2013 12:01PM
I've had my current camera, the Sony A65, for almost a year now (25 year service pressie from my boss last November). The old A350 is awaiting my decision as to whether it gets converted for IR or not. My other daily camera, the Fuji X10 is coming up to its 2nd anniversary with me.

As for the old cameras - they're dotted around the house doing not a lot but are pretty much worthless anyway.....
6 Nov 2013 12:13PM
My oldest digital camera is Olympus C100. It was the first one, and I still use it occasionally strictly for e-Bay style pictures. It's nearly perfect for them and I did not use a mobile phone cam that good yet. No pain getting images from it to my PC too. From other oldies my 8 y.o Canon EOS10D finds a lot of action. While I "upgraded" to EOS550D almost two years ago. I find it superior in some aspects still. 550D is "old" by now tooSmile I keep almost every camera I had - they refuse to die on me, and occasionally I use every one of them just to have fun with good memories and make sure they still work. The collection includes ( but is not limited to):
Fujifilm S3000, IXUS80, Lumix FZ8. None of them is of good resale value, and the only camera I ever managed to sell was Fujifilm s5600. No idea if it gets used by his new owner now.
rhol2 e2
3 311 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 12:15PM

Quote:I still use my old Olympus E-510 occasionally which I have had since it came out. The pictures are still excellent even compared to the latest cameras. Some times I think cameras have lost their way over the years when I compare my 10mp pics to much higher MP cameras these days, but that's just my observations for what its worth.

I'm still using a Nikon D100;it's about 11 years old and has always been fault free. It has its limitations of course but is still a good camera.
I agree about the E510, very good even with the kit lenses.
llareggub 4 743 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 12:35PM
No idea, it is a used 50D sold my previous 450D to part fund the purchase.
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
6 Nov 2013 12:40PM
5 year old D300 still does everything I want/need it to do. Still have my old D70 as a backup (hasn't been used in anger since I got the D300), and collection of digital compacts which form a museum of old technology in the bottom of the wardrobe.
6 Nov 2013 12:55PM

Quote:5 year old D300 still does everything I want/need it to do.

Exactly the same here....along with Canon G9..neither of which are likely to see change until/unless there's smoke coming out of them...
steve486 4 126 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 1:14PM
got a 1ds2 and a 7d but find i use the ds2 a lot more
ast333 3 719 England
6 Nov 2013 2:00PM
Currently using a Sony a290 my first DSLR had it around 2 years now . But my brother gave me a couple of contax film cameras with around 5 carl zeiss lens . Have just found a company that sells adapters to use the lens on the sony . Grin
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
6 Nov 2013 2:08PM
Still using a Sony Dsc-R1 bridge camera ... Excellent razor sharp lens and the first bridge to have an aps-c size sensor Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.